Anyone tried these new style full face snorkel masks?

I bet that is what happened to me when I tried them. I was snorkeling in Dominic and wearing them. It felt like I couldn't breathe right after awhile' date=' claustrophobic, then my teeth started chattering. (weird experience) Had to stop and needed help to get back to the boat. We were drift snorkling. It was a scary experience. I didn't realize it could have been the snorkels until reading this thread. One other person needed help getting back to the boat also. I haven't snorkled since that experience about 3 or 4 years ago.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

I have snorkeled several times with regular gear and bought a Seaview 180 full face mask. First few times I used it was in still water with no problems. Third time was in Bonaire in rough water and current. Found myself hyperventilating and panicing. I have sinus problems and tend to breath thru my mouth. Consequently, in retrospect I believe I experienced the problems some experience with CO2 buildup in the full face mask. Have now gone back to regular mask and snorkel.

I have snorkeled several times with regular gear and bought a Seaview 180 full face mask. First few times I used it was in still water with no problems. Third time was in Bonaire in rough water and current. Found myself hyperventilating and panicing. I have sinus problems and tend to breath thru my mouth. Consequently, in retrospect I believe I experienced the problems some experience with CO2 buildup in the full face mask. Have now gone back to regular mask and snorkel.
I was in rough water too. I think I had the same problem.

Do you remember which company you snorkled with? Was it Woodwind?

Very dangerous devices. The CO2 that builds up causes lots of problems. If you can't use a traditional mask and snorkel, you should probably stick to just swimming with goggles.

Because of this thread and the fact that I own a full face mask, I decided to do some more research. I stumbled on some great YouTube videos discussing proper usage and why people are having issues with them. One video illustrated how the mask works - co2 and oxygen flow through different tubes. What I got from these videos is that these masks are meant for light use, they are not intended for intense activities where you may experience heavy breathing, and that inferior ,aka knock-off brands may not be built right to ensure proper removal of co2.

I will continue to use this mask and am grateful for the information. I suggest researching the brand to ensure that it is designed properly, watching some videos, and spending some time at home getting comfortable walking around in your mask.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes. They had to pull me out. Embarrassing but better than drowning.
I went back and read what I wrote. I was whale watching in Dominica and snorkled with Windwood in Bonaire. They had great reviews, so I thought it was just me. Also, another woman had to be helped besides me on our tour. I wonder if it was the type of full face mask they had that was a problem? That makes at least 3 of us with the same problem.

Yes, I agree, better than drowning but very scary! Thanks for your reply.

Because of this thread and the fact that I own a full face mask, I decided to do some more research. I stumbled on some great YouTube videos discussing proper usage and why people are having issues with them. One video illustrated how the mask works - co2 and oxygen flow through different tubes. What I got from these videos is that these masks are meant for light use, they are not intended for intense activities where you may experience heavy breathing, and that inferior ,aka knock-off brands may not be built right to ensure proper removal of co2.

I will continue to use this mask and am grateful for the information. I suggest researching the brand to ensure that it is designed properly, watching some videos, and spending some time at home getting comfortable walking around in your mask.

I'm thinking they were knock off brands, or maybe not, but seriously, people need to know this. Thank you!

I'm thinking they were knock off brands' date=' or maybe not, but seriously, people need to know this. Thank you!

Don't kid yourself, the brands are all constructed the same way. People do not breath hard enough to clear the CO2 from the masks. These devices are simply dangerous.

Don't kid yourself, the brands are all constructed the same way. People do not breath hard enough to clear the CO2 from the masks. These devices are simply dangerous.
I totally agree. Maybe I will start snorkling again. Didn't even think it would have been the mask and not me. Thanks for all the information!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We bought the Tribord mask and love them. I read all the reviews about the dangers and I do believe there are better brands than others. I also believe that these masks are great for surface snorkeling. It states that my mask is not recommended for going any deeper for 4-6 feet or in chopping water. We went snorkeling from a boat and used the old style mask and snorkel. But on the beach we used ours off and on all day and they were awesome!! It is not recommended to use Vaseline(if you have a bread) on these because the vasoline will weaken the silicone seals. But if you only have a mustache these work great, my husband has a mustache and it worked great and they did not fog up.