Equinox, 10-Day Eastern Med., 27 May 2011

SDPenguin

My finance and I are totally excited about the 10-day eastern med cruise, departing on 27 May. Can't believe its less than 2 months away and counting!

We're booking excursions now. Goods news is, there is so much to choose from. Bad news is, we can pretty much only choose one per port ... dang.

Anyone have recommendations for excursions for this itinerary, or any other suggestions? This is my first long cruise, so I'd appreciate any pointers. I look forward to talking with my fellow cruisers!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and cruising. You'll find a very handy feature of this board is the ability to "search" by using key words. Many of your questions can be answered this way. Also, be sure to join the Roll Call for your cruise and see what others are planning to do. Lots of good advice there.

I looked at the itinerary and for Santorini just do your own thing. Take the elevator to the top and there are so many quaint shops. Have lunch at Casa Blanca (its the only red building in town).

In Kusadasi-- you have to do Ephesus with the Terrace House tickets. The terrace houses are the best part. Take an umbrella for shade because there is no shade- except inside the tented terrace houses. This was better than Pompeii

In Naples- Pompeii is a must. I would take a taxi, buy your own ticket and get the headsets. If you do a tour they will waste valuable time in the boring store. Then you will only see a fraction of Pompeii. A taxi will be about 50 Euros each way. Get a price upfront before getting in the taxi.

Mykonos- find a nice beach. The town is small and kind of boring.

I can't remember if you do Dubrovnik but this place is wonderful and you can just take a shuttle to the walled town and do your own thing. Don't forget to walk along the top of the wall- great views.

In Santorini, we hired a private tour company and did a 6 hour tour (w/lunch stop) of the entire island, amazing.

In Kusadasi, we also used a private tour company and did Ephesus, lunch stop, leather factory stop and saw a gazillion sites, loved it.

In Mykonos, we took a ship excursion to Delos, very interesting ruins with an experienced guide, then we wandered all over the little town and had a nice lunch stop.

In Naples, we again hired a private tour company and went to Positano, Pompeii with a private guide--no store--and then a wonderful visit with lunch in Sorrento.

In Dubrovnik, we hired a private tour company and toured the entire island, we had shopping, sites, quaint villages, historical sites and a fabulous local lunch.

We were a group of 8 in all ports.

All of the above are great recommendations but go to the Ports of call on cruise critic for specifics and ideas of each of those ports. I did a similar cruise less than 3 years ago and had amazing time based on the info I got from the boards.

One thing I would like to add is that Santorini is beautiful but do not miss Oia which is where you will see the blue roofs and architecture that define make Santorini famous and it is an easy bus ride (no need for tours in my opinion).

Also Ephesus is an absolute must and if you go there make sure you do the Terrace houses also.

Have a great trip.

The AMALFI Coast------------there is so much you want to do there----------

I have been twice---------Amalfi Coast with private guide is first

go to Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi and Ravello------------have a scenic lunch along the way

Capri is magnificent but VERY crowded---but I would go again

Pompeii is very historical=--but my third choice--------still good though

fav trip is nicest guy in the whole Italian nation

http://www.angelodriver.com

have a great trip----------------they're ALL good

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

Laura and I just booked a private full-day tour of Rhodes. Basically, 8:30am to 4:30pm. We are driven by our tour guide in a Mercedes which can accommodate 2 couples (4 people) in addition to the driver. We are looking to share the tour with another couple and share the cost. We're mid-40's, pretty active, and a nice couple!

It sounds like an awesome itinerary, and the company gets great reviews on this forum. You can read all about the tour at this site:

[url=http://www.rhodesprivatetours.com/fullday_private_tours_east_west_coast.htm][/url]

http://www.rhodesprivatetours.com/fullday_private_tours_east_west_coast.htm

The cost per couple would be about $262. Please let us know if you're interested. Please email me direct at: larry_heminger@yahoo.com.

Looking forward to anyone interested!

Larry & Laura

In Santorini, we hired a private tour company and did a 6 hour tour (w/lunch stop) of the entire island, amazing.

In Kusadasi, we also used a private tour company and did Ephesus, lunch stop, leather factory stop and saw a gazillion sites, loved it.

In Mykonos, we took a ship excursion to Delos, very interesting ruins with an experienced guide, then we wandered all over the little town and had a nice lunch stop.

In Naples, we again hired a private tour company and went to Positano, Pompeii with a private guide--no store--and then a wonderful visit with lunch in Sorrento.

In Dubrovnik, we hired a private tour company and toured the entire island, we had shopping, sites, quaint villages, historical sites and a fabulous local lunch.

We were a group of 8 in all ports.

Luvtocook,

Do you mind sharing who you booked with in Santorini and Naples?

Thank you :)

Archived