Mobility on the BIG ships

TheLadyK

I have difficulty standing/walking for long periods and am usually fine on cruises just being selective about shore excursions. However, I haven't been on any of the Really Big ships yet. My husband wants to try one of the Quantum or Oasis class ships from Royal, but I look at the pictures and just get a little nervous. I'm used to the medium to kinda big ships and can make it from one end to the other without many problems and haven't found any to be so crowded that lines got bad. I can walk a bit longer than I can stand still for, so lines are really killer.

We do like to see a couple of shows, but I mostly spend time at the pool while he runs around the ship doing activities. He's attracted to the many things to do on the very big ships. I just want to stare at water and swim.

How do the big ships compare? Are they easy to get around? How much walking or standing in line is there on the ship? Are there lots of places to sit down? I'm worried about long hallways when I'm already tired.

I've done the Allure twice with my husband and both times had my wheelchair. I would often times walk the long corridor from our stateroom to the elevators. That was because there would be cleaning carts in the way..My husband pushed the wheelchair then I would sit down and he would push me to our destination. The ship is huge.

Paula

Have you considered renting a scooter? Special Needs at Sea is one company that rents them. My husband has serious walking and standing issues (not originally but they have gradually worsened over time) and he started out with a rollator (so he could sit when necessary) and then went to a transport chair (which we still use in the airport and bring with us on the ship). There were many things he could/would not do because of the walking involved.

I finally talked him into renting a scooter and he has never looked back. It is wonderful and gives him (and me, ha ha) so much freedom. We started out going to a scooter store to try one out (similar to the model he rents form Special Needs at Sea) and he drove it around to try it out. He decided that he would try one on the ship and loved it; we rent one for him every single time. If you do go the scooter rental route, you might do some test drives where they are sold/rented so you will have the basics down when you get on the ship. If we go on a tour where he cannot take the scooter, we just use his transport chair which folds up. Oh, and book an accessible room so you will have room for the scooter in your room.

Hi,

We love the big ships, the bigger the better and the newer the ship the better the disabled facilities. I use a scooter and have no problem getting around the ship. If I were you I would buy a scooter or even look into hiring one, they give you so much independence. It took me a long time to get my head around using one as I thought that I was in some way giving in but it is just the opposite as I can do what I want without having to rely on anyone.

We mostly sail on Royal Caribbean and the staff are great, they help you on and off the ship, put you to the front of the queue when waiting for shows etc which is great as you are parked up out of the way when there is a crowd of people entering the venue.

Get a wheelchair or scooter.

My preference is a power wheelchair

Best idea! When I was "mobility challenged" a few years ago we sailed on a 3300 pax Princess ship, the length of the l-o-o-o-n-g cabin deck hallways were the biggest concern. At the time we planned our activities around their location on the ship to minimize the walking distances.

Your point about places to sit is warranted because there is nothing available in the cabin deck hallways to rest during the long treks so what we did was to go up or down to activity decks where there normally were places to find places to sit. On reflection there were no situations with long lines or extensive delays that required lengthy standing.

Edited by Host Walt

Rent a power wheelchair, especially one with six wheels as that means they can spin round in their own length. Buggies have to reverse in or out of the elevator, while my wife, in her chair, can drive in and turn round.