Iberian Explorer

JenRonn1104

We received a really great offer on this cruise and decided to jump on board. We loved our Viking Homelands cruise in May so much we couldn’t wait to do another one and the price was right on this one. My question is, has anyone done this itinerary before and have you enjoyed the trip? It leaves 1/6/19...what should I expect the weather to be like?

Thank you in advance for the info.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We received a really great offer on this cruise and decided to jump on board. We loved our Viking Homelands cruise in May so much we couldn’t wait to do another one and the price was right on this one. My question is, has anyone done this itinerary before and have you enjoyed the trip? It leaves 1/6/19...what should I expect the weather to be like?

Haven't done it but can shed some light. This is pretty much a repositioning route for Viking, done once or twice a year by a couple of ships. Not sure how many times they have stopped in any of the ports listed but I would expect at this point, not more than a handful (unlike Barcelona, Rome, Venice, Athens that they have done fairly regularly since they started sailing in 2015).

As for weather, we have spent the last two Januaries in Barcelona with Viking and the weather was fairly similar each year, dipping into the low 40s at night and if lucky, into the mid-60s during the day. It will warm up as you head south but not really by much and it will cool off quickly as you move inland away from the coast. It is the rainy season but we lucked out on both visits and had fairly sunny weather.

We also spent a week in Granada in January, 2017 and it was winter coat weather at night but warmed up during the day to the mid50s (actually, this is my favorite time to visit the area because it isn't blazing hot and there aren't as many visitors). I was very happy to have my Uggs with me and will also note that our Spanish hosts wore them as well.

Since you are still in the planning stage, I heartily suggest that you arrive in Barcelona at least three nights early so that you can see the city. You especially want to be there on the evening of January 5, to see "La Cabalgata" the Spanish version of the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade celebrating the arrival of the Three Kings.; it is magical! And there is just so much more to see, if you have never been there before.

enhance

This cruise is quite similar to our Trade Routes of the Middle Ages cruise, with many of the same stops. Yes! I do think you will enjoy it. We certainly loved ours. If you look back through the forum you will find some past trip reports from the Trade Routes which should prove useful to you. We've gone on a Viking Ocean cruise from either Barcelona or Rome every January since 2016. We used to live in Indiana so to us the weather was comfortable and pleasant. We've since moved to Naples and we still like European winter weather as it's a relief from the heat so we're still happy. ;) Expect to see some rain and cloudy skies as you move past Gibraltar. The temps ought to be in the 40s-50s degree F but sometimes, depending on whether it's sunny or rainy, it can feel either warmer or colder. The latter being bone-chilling because of the damp (that's when you hit the English shores). Be prepared by bringing the right clothing! What we've found works really well is down jackets and/or vests. They're so lightweight yet do a great job in keeping the cold at bay. Think layers that you can add to or peel off as the weather dictates.

As to your ports: we took the included tour in Cartagena (Murcia) and were very impressed with the Roman ampitheatre that we took a tour of. Cartagena is a lovely town with lots of nice little restaurants, shops, and charming streets. In Malaga, we "double-dipped" taking the included tour in the morning and the optional tour to the white-washed hill town of Mijas in the afternoon. Thoroughly enjoyed both as they were scenic and interesting. Vigo we didn't go to with Viking, but I'd been there previously in May on another cruise years ago. I was there in May and it was damp and rainy and II had to buy a scarf to keep from freezing! Nonetheless, it was a gorgeous town with plenty to see and do and the port is very conveniently located. You walk right off the ship into the town. Easy. In Portsmouth we took the included tour which brought us to the Royal Dockyards. We thought it was absolutely fascinating and spent the entire day there going to all the museums. Look it up and you will see the varied exhibits, including the ability to tour the very ship upon which Admiral Lord Nelson was killed in battle. Going to Portsmouth was one of our favorite port visits. London, your last port, needs no introduction. Amazing place! :D