Legend 11/2006 Crossing Travelogue

PeaSea8ch

Pre-embarkation Edition

It is early November and that time of year where Lady Legend makes her leisurely sail across the Atlantic Ocean to Fort Lauderdale and her Caribbean winter season. This year, our intrepid onboard reporter, Host Dan, will not be sailing on this crossing. :( So, I will step in and attempt to fill Host Dan’s shoes and keyboard and hope to generate a travelogue commensurate with Host Dan’s previous world-class efforts. This will be my fifth Legend Nov. crossing in a row. Here we go …

The trek from home to Malaga started out on a positive note as my door-to-door airport service upgraded me from the usual van to a Town Car for the ride to the airport. The one-stop Lufthansa itinerary to Malaga via Frankfurt went off like clockwork and the 16 hour journey was a bit of a treat over the two-stop, almost 24 hour safari to Tenerife Norte the last three years.

I had booked the Seabourn hotel, the Gran Hotel Guadalpin Byblos (nee Hotel Buyblos Andaluz) independently for three nights. My next surprise was that I was upgraded to the Presidential Suite. And what a grand suite it was with a fantastic view of the golf course and the mountains looking west! :) Having visited the Alhambra in Granada in 94 and 96, I opted to enjoy the hotel this visit. Also, the weather was sunny on Friday morning then became overcast, with occasional light sprinkles, and remained that way the rest of the day. Saturday was overcast all day with light showers early Sunday morning. It is very overcast so far this Sunday morning and cannot tell for sure if it will rain or not.

Any CCers who are also on this crossing, by all means please jump on here and post your observations, opinions and experiences too! I need all the help I can get.

Now, it is time to leave the hotel and embark on the Legend, check in, get our ID card “mug shots,” unpack, meet my cabin stewardess, put on my lifejacket and attend the muster drill on-time, remove lifejacket and stow in its assigned place in the closet and finally hightail it up to the Sky Bar for the sailaway celebration! This crossing is special as it will be Captain Geir-Arne Thue-Nilsen’s last Legend cruise at the helm as he transfers to the Pride in mid December. So we all intend to make this crossing a wonderful 16 day party!!!!!

So until my next report, life is good. :)

Many thanks Paul!

You are "stuck" on top for all to read and enjoy! I really look forward to your travel logue! :)

Host Dan

PS "Hello" to all, and I truly wish I could be there!

We are reading you with envy, have a great time..and if you would, please say a warm hello to Capt. G A from Lola and Don from Tucson. We wish we could join on his last Legend cruise...he has made that ship so special. LUCKY PRIDE!

Lola and Don form Tucson, I will convey your warmest regards to Captain G-A. And based on what I have read herein, I will also do the same to Luca who ran up to shake my hand in the front of the KOL to welcome me aboard! I love this guy and the Captain as well!

The first two and the Fourth, fifth and sixth days of this crossing I will be doing all-day shore excursions so my posts may be too brief for your liking. However, I promise after we clear the breakwater at Tenerife, my posts will contain more turgid prose (translation: long winded) for those of youwith inquiring minds.

Now back offline to compopse my next installment.

Just an update from checking out of the hotel; I had booked a transfer to the ship through Seabourn and the Seabourn rep requested the hotel to keep our electricity on until 2:00 pm when we were scheduled to leave (hotel computers automatically shut off the electricity at the noon check-out time resulting in a low rate of late checkouts). Back OT.

This Seabourn cruise started like every other cruise from the second one on up where two of the waiters (Adam and the other gentleman I did not recognize) working the “baggage detail” instantaneously greeted me by name the instant I disembarked my transportation. I was given an embarkation check-in number and reported to the King Olav Lounge for processing. After a few minutes and presenting my signed cruise ticket, passport and credit card; my signature on a charge slip was given, my mug shot taken and my ID card handed to me. I was then allowed to go to my suite (same as last year 225) and upon arrival was delighted that my two bags presented to DHL two weeks ago were sitting on my bed courtesy of the Seabourn Luggage Valet fairy.

I then went into “my ritual” of unpacking and getting my suite ship-shape. Soon, Hanna, my lovely suite stewardess came by to introduce herself. She presented me with a salmon and caviar canapé that I immediately consumed. I requested that she store my 22 and two 26 inch rollaboard suiter cases until the end of the cruise. My suite is what I call the “Day Room of a double suite. It has a Murphy Bed that folds down from the wall to make a regular suite when not used as the sitting / dining room of a double suite. The Murphy Bed is so close to the floor, you can only store a bag no more then say 7 inches thick. I find it depressing to see your luggage stored in plain view during the cruise. With unpacking complete, I went up to the Sky Bar to do a few laps and to visit with my Legendary crossing family. I was pleased and delighted to meet and put a name and face to fellow CC posters bldsld, Norm2002 and Seabourn-nail (who shared why Seabourn-nail is her username).

The last time I was in Malaga, construction in progress was extending the dock space to beyond the old breakwater to increase shipping capacity. While driving to the ship, I was looking for it in the “old” place. I was kind of sad as the defining Malaga breakwater icon is a large Bacardi Rum tank that we always sailed past. I hope for those that imbibe, the Provision Master took a tender over to the tanks with a long hose to top-off the Legend bar coffers with the high octane stuff!

The actual sailaway was very smooth and there was not much vessel motion after we got underway. This was a welcome respite form the rocking and rolling we experienced when sailing in November from Malaga in 94, 96 and 02. Although it was very cloudy and overcast the downright dreary weather did not dampen our spirits. It was not too cold or breezy which was nice.

Time to get cleaned up for supper. I had the pleasure of being the “guest of honor” (seated next to the hosted table’s hostess) of comedic magician Mandy Mudgen, a lovely young lady from Wimbledon, England. The dinner of mustard crusted veal sweetbreads with almond and lentil salad and gazpacho with roasted rock shrimp were delicious! I vacillated over the pan sautéed veal saltimbocca and the chateaubriand main courses, as I love them both. I opted for the chateaubriand and was not disappointed as it was so tender it practically melted in my mouth. Dessert for me was a decaf cappuccino (I am saving myself for tomorrow’s first formal night dinner of, presumably, Lobster, Lobster, Lobster and Crème Brulee en parade (one of my favorite Seabourn Dinners). :D

Then off to Opening Night at the Club where CD Eric De Gray introduced the staff to enhance our cruising experience. Monika is the shore excursion manager. It was so noisy at the bar (as it always is), that I could not hear the names of the people being introduced. I could not hear the names of the ACDs (assistant cruise directors) but I gather from what Eric said this is their first time entertaining on Seabourn.

I would like to end my posts with a “Freeze Frame” picture that I have taken and like to sum up that day onboard. Ok if I can’t decide the best I will have 2 or 3 pictures. Legendary crossers if you are monitoring this thread while onboard, please feel free to post your photos as well. Norm2002, I am counting on you to raise the standard of photographic excellence on this thread.

88525b98.jpg

Adios Malaga!

Ok folks, time for me to get some sleep. We are due to dock in Cadiz, Spain at 8:00 am and I am supposed to be the first off the ship after customs clearance at 8:15 am for my all-day tour “A Day In Seville”

On a Seabourn Yacht, life is good.

I'm a Seabourn Cruiser to be, booked for my first Seabourn experience. Thank you so much for your travelogue!!! as I'm counting my days to sail, is very exciting following your journey writtings and thinking of what a great voyage awaits me. :)

and Seabourn-nail (who shared why Seabourn-nail is her username).

Maybe you could get Seabourn-nail to post that, I would be interested in what her username is about. Also there is a poster named PeaSea8ch that I still have not figured out the meaning of his username :D

Maybe you could get Seabourn-nail to post that, I would be interested in what her username is about. Also there is a poster named PeaSea8ch that I still have not figured out the meaning of his username :D

Does Paul PeaSea8ch happen to live near the coast of California? Highway?

Jackie

loving your travelogue Paul#1. Hope Paul#2 (or is it 3?) will create one for his upcoming turkey day sailing.

Hope Paul#2 (or is it 3?) will create one for his upcoming turkey day sailing.

BB is Bill and will be doing something for his Turkey Day cruise. I have a number of questions ppl have asked and will do that the first two days. I will try to post something every day but port a day cruises are busy. :eek:

Jackie:

Paul (the other one...me) doesn't board the Pride until 12/2!

Thanks, Paul (PeaSea8ch), for giving us your time & thoughts! Have a wonderful crossing!

Paul

now, is that #1, 2 or 3??? Let's keep it simple: Paul, the other one :D

Hi Paul,

Be sure to give everyone HUGE "hellos" from me!!! Let us know who is crew this crossing... "Enquiring minds want to know" ;)

I hope you had a great day in Seville.. (I love Seville)

Host Dan

This morning, I was roused from the deepest depths of unconsciousness with an annoying sound. After a second or two, I realized it was the phone in my suite. It was pitch black in my suite and I lumbered out of my bed towards where I thought the telephone was and did that without banging my head into the flat screen TV. A cheerful voice said “Good morning Mr. PeaSea8ch.” I thought I was about to receive the most dreadful news from the Purser’s Office. “It’s Monika and the tour to Seville is ready to leave and you are the only one who is not here and it is almost 8:15.” This was beyond my comprehension at this point. I turned around towards the nightstand, took a step and leaned and squinted at my travel alarm clock and verified that Monika’s statement was true. I realized, oh no, I forgot to set the alarm! I told Monika to send the tour off without me; and to her credit, she offered me a seat on the tour that departed 15 minutes later but I politely refused. I was sooo embarrassed! :o

With most of the passengers ashore, I had the deck all to myself for an easy 3-1/2 hour walk. With the sun worshipers out in force and the ship’s motion it is more of a challenge not to bump into them while walking as fast as I can while giving my legs a far better workout requiring balance in response to the ship’s motion and avoiding collisions with the sun worshipers and the attentive waiters.

I received a note from Monika this afternoon saying she was able to cancel my ticket and issue a refund. Kudos to Monika for performing this kind gesture for me as the fine print says if you cancel after the closing date and time or no-show, there is no refund.

Tonight was the Captains Gala Cocktail Reception. It was very well attended and everyone seemed to have a grand time indeed. When the Captain took the stage he seemed to me to be a bit emotional. I love the formal evenings on Seabourn. The gents looking so dapper in their finest and the ladies, dressed to the nines, elegantly coiffed and flawless makeup. I personally feel that when you are dressed in your best, it does wonders for your psyche, outlook and attitude.

Tonight, I also had the honor of dining at the Captains hosted table for dinner! Dining with the Captain and I were bldsld, Norm2002, CeeJay11 and a lovely couple form England. We asked the Captain, in the relative privacy of his table in the back corner of the Restaurant, if he was feeling emotional. He said yes that he would miss all the regulars on this crossing. We let him know in explicit terms he would be severely missed by the passengers as well.

Then on to the KOL for Mandy Mudgen’s evening of illusion, comedy and magic show. She is a funny lady and a clever magician.

Denyse and Ken send their best regards to all wither ashore or at sea!

Since the dock area was inviting, I have the nicest shot with a fountain in the approximate center of the photo (you may have to squint to see it).

ae7ec10d.jpg

Cadiz Dock Area

Last night when I went to bed and slid underneath my Scandinavian comforter and laid my head against the fluffy pillow, I instantaneously knew I was back home. :D On a Seabourn Yacht, life is good.

Ok, it is time to answer the mail. First of all, thank you all for your replies with kind words and encouragement! Now on to your specific questions:

LaPaloma: warm regards sent and the Captain said “Why aren’t they on this crossing?” Luca said” They are such a nice couple that I can’t wait until they come back on board!”

CruisinMatt: Hellos sent as requested.

Hoya68: Congratulations on your upcoming marriage! If your bride enjoys cruising (hopefully on Seabourn) as much as you do, then you should spend many happy years together! I have written several posts about the Panama Canal (PC) including links to the Canal’s live 24-hourwebcams on this forum in different threads. If you have a wireless equipped laptop, you can surf this site in the privacy of your suite as you both want to be informed and you will have several days before arrival at the PC to do just that. :rolleyes:

Blackbird: I will ask Seabourn-nail if she wants the impetus of her username to be made public. I will follow her wishes.

Blackbird and jsiegel: Jackie hit the nail (not Seabourn-nail) right on the head. When I was young and foolish, I spent a lot of time cruising up and down PCH or Pacific Coast Highway. Now that I am older, wiser and with more disposable income, I do all my cruising on Seabourn! :D

Host Dan: I will convey your HUGE hellos to all. I will probably need a sea day (day after leaving Casablanca) to gather the crew names to satisfy enquiring minds.

Now I need to get some shuteye so I will hear my alarm and not Monika’s call for my all-day tour to Rabat, the capital of Morocco. I would be rally upset if I missed that tour!

Thanks so much for the updates! We are all vicariously living through you!

Please tell Carol and Wally that me and DH (Chester) miss them and treasure our time in Rome together. Also, give Denyse and Ken a big hello from us and tell them we will be waiting eagerly at the airport to pick them up on their return. Please attach some people pics if you can!

Archived