Distilled Water for CPAP on MSC

Cruise'nMaMa

We leave on Seaside soon and it’s our first cruise with MSC. Best method for requesting Distilled Water? Is it their Special Needs form or should we call? Looking for responses from those who have experience. Princess and Holland America we called or indicated it online but with MSC’s cust service and website issues I lack confidence in them.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can only refer to my experience on Divina, but assume it will be the same on Seaside. I did fill out the special needs form online but heard nothing. Distilled water was available at guest services to anyone that asked for it.

How about an extension cord?

Read a review that said they ran out of extension cords but luckily the poster was able to just manage because their bed was on the same side of the desk as the outlets which wasn't really an issue except for having to sleep on the side of the bed they were unused to sleeping on.

How about an extension cord?

On Seaside I have read there is an outlet on at least one side of the bed. On Divina the outlets were on the opposite side of the cabin so we had brought our own cord. I have also heard guest services requires a deposit and they can run out.

Thanks for the replies. I have not read MSC's "do not bring" list yet, but most cruise lines (but not all) prohibit extension cords. We are booked in an YC outside cabin for this December. If this Board is like the others this question about CPAP equipment will come up at least monthly LOL. So maybe someone will comment about these specific cabins. Switching bed sides will not be a problem if that solves the problem.

I have not read MSC's "do not bring" list yet, but most cruise lines (but not all) prohibit extension cords. We are booked in an YC outside cabin for this December....

Most cruise lines have a problem with surge protected extensions, but regular plain old extensions cords are usually fine. I've seen pictures of the Seaside YC deluxe cabins having outlets beside the bed, so it shouldn't be needed anyway.

• Like 1

Most cruise lines have a problem with surge protected extensions, but regular plain old extensions cords are usually fine. I've seen pictures of the Seaside YC deluxe cabins having outlets beside the bed, so it shouldn't be needed anyway.

Thanks Ate!

Celebrity for one does prohibit them and will confiscate them if found. Princess says no, but will allow them for CPAP if they run out.

The surge protection issue is really screwed up. The USCG says not on any ship very dangerous and useless on ships, but few cruise lines mention them even though they may confiscate them if found. Celebrity will if found, but they do not list them in their prohibited list. Carnival (that I have found) is the only line that prohibits them in writing (I hope that there are others).

I can only refer to my experience on Divina, but assume it will be the same on Seaside. I did fill out the special needs form online but heard nothing. Distilled water was available at guest services to anyone that asked for it.

We are considering carrying a bottle on board just in case!

On Seaside now. Filled out the form and nothing happened. Asked our room steward and he went to the medical center and filled a liter bottle for us. He also brought us a European style extension cord that we could use with our adapter last week. This week we are in the Yacht Club and there is only a USB port by the bed. Again cabin steward brought us an extension and it is also a surge protector. Bob

• Like 1

On Seaside now. Filled out the form and nothing happened. Asked our room steward and he went to the medical center and filled a liter bottle for us. He also brought us a European style extension cord that we could use with our adapter last week. This week we are in the Yacht Club and there is only a USB port by the bed. Again cabin steward brought us an extension and it is also a surge protector. Bob

Thanks! I figured the special needs form would be useless most likely given how their website functions.

Right on the surge protectors....I have never ever been unable to bring a regular extension cord on any of the cruise lines. Royal wants you to use one of theirs but they well either give you one or or come and check yours.

This week we are in the Yacht Club and there is only a USB port by the bed. Again cabin steward brought us an extension and it is also a surge protector. Bob

So YC Insides have no outlet near the bed, can you double check for me that the Deluxe cabins do? That is very unusual to be given a cord with a surge protector.

So YC Insides have no outlet near the bed, can you double check for me that the Deluxe cabins do? That is very unusual to be given a cord with a surge protector.
I will check with my friends but I'm pretty sure they had the same problem. I loaned one of them an adapter to use with the European extension cord he had and he didn't return it until the end of the cruise. Bob

On Seaside I have read there is an outlet on at least one side of the bed.

There was definitely NOT an AC outlet on either side of the bed in our cabin on MSC Seaside. We were in a "Suite With Whirlpool Bath"... and since that's a more-pricey-than-normal cabin, I would guess that if there weren't AC outlets by the bed in that suite, there probably wouldn't be in standard balcony cabins and inside cabins.

Perhaps the confusion is due to the fact that there is a USB charging outlet on one side of the bed, at least in the cabin we were in. So maybe you read there is an "outlet" by the bed... but they meant USB and you thought they were talking about 110 volts AC.

Also, as a CPAP user myself, I would just like to say that I see this topic (distilled water) come up over and over again on Cruise Critic... and I would just like to say that if you're just going on a cruise for a week, you don't need to stress about distilled water. You can use the tap water from a cruise ship in your CPAP machine, for short periods like a week or even two. What the CPAP manufacturers don't want you to do is use hard water or water with lots of mineral deposits and to do so for years and years. This would leave deposits in the tank and piping of your CPAP, if you used bad water for years and years. Cruise ship tap water is usually quite good... often times made by desalination of ocean water, but not always. Using it for a week or two in your CPAP is not going to cause any problems at all. So, my advice is never to stress before a cruise about whether you can get distilled water onboard. The tap water will be fine for a week or two. Long term, over the life of your CPAP unit, use distilled... but don't worry about it for a short period like a vacation.

There was definitely NOT an AC outlet on either side of the bed in our cabin on MSC Seaside. We were in a "Suite With Whirlpool Bath"...

I think I'll being my extension just in case then, thanks.

There was definitely NOT an AC outlet on either side of the bed in our cabin on MSC Seaside. We were in a "Suite With Whirlpool Bath"... and since that's a more-pricey-than-normal cabin, I would guess that if there weren't AC outlets by the bed in that suite, there probably wouldn't be in standard balcony cabins and inside cabins.

Perhaps the confusion is due to the fact that there is a USB charging outlet on one side of the bed, at least in the cabin we were in. So maybe you read there is an "outlet" by the bed... but they meant USB and you thought they were talking about 110 volts AC.

Also, as a CPAP user myself, I would just like to say that I see this topic (distilled water) come up over and over again on Cruise Critic... and I would just like to say that if you're just going on a cruise for a week, you don't need to stress about distilled water. You can use the tap water from a cruise ship in your CPAP machine, for short periods like a week or even two. What the CPAP manufacturers don't want you to do is use hard water or water with lots of mineral deposits and to do so for years and years. This would leave deposits in the tank and piping of your CPAP, if you used bad water for years and years. Cruise ship tap water is usually quite good... often times made by desalination of ocean water, but not always. Using it for a week or two in your CPAP is not going to cause any problems at all. So, my advice is never to stress before a cruise about whether you can get distilled water onboard. The tap water will be fine for a week or two. Long term, over the life of your CPAP unit, use distilled... but don't worry about it for a short period like a vacation.

While I personally wouldn’t stress about it, my boyfriend would as he is particular about using distilled and I was asking so I could understand how MSC deals with it, given the customer service nuances I have dealt with so far before even getting on the ship!

While I personally wouldn’t stress about it' date=' my boyfriend would as he is particular about using distilled and I was asking so I could understand how MSC deals with it, given the customer service nuances I have dealt with so far before even getting on the ship!

We don't sail until the 3rd of March, but I did a comment on the special request form, heard nothing, and then submitted it again. I got a response that assured me of the water, but I will bring a simple extension cord to use with the 110-120 outlet.

674010399_distilledwaterfromMSC.jpg.31cfee1fc66ca86fc1058bd064773e25.jpg

We don't sail until the 3rd of March, but I did a comment on the special request form, heard nothing, and then submitted it again. I got a response that assured me of the water, but I will bring a simple extension cord to use with the 110-120 outlet.

I never heard back from them.

We are booked in an YC outside cabin for this December. If this Board is like the others this question about CPAP equipment will come up at least monthly LOL. So maybe someone will comment about these specific cabins...

I'm going to update my earlier response. The pictures I saw were from an Italian site well before Seaside came into service. After looking more closely at the CC YC1 photos I only see a USB on one side of the bed. I will definitely be bringing an extension for the CPAP. Thanks to those that commented for making me look more closely.

• 1 month later...

Ok, so the first day aboard the Seaside, we got a call confirming that we ordered distilled water and were told that they would bring it to the cabin in 5 minutes. Nope...none was delivered.

Finally I mentioned to our cabin steward that we never got it and it was probably the 3rd day of the cruise before we got it. But, get this, they delivered 2 two liter bottles of Smart Water!