NCL Weight Limit for Baggage?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:52 PM.
New Jersey
24 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
I noticed that my booklet from NCL for our soon departing cruise mentions that NCL has a 50lb. weight limit per bag and also advises that passengers check with their airlines for any other restrictions if they are flying.

Do they really weigh them? Is this something we really need to be careful about or pay a penalty? This is our first cruise, but no one that I know that has cruised before has ever heard of a weight limit for the bags. I'm upset because we are taking the train, and I don't want to have to carry extra baggage to avoid paying extra fees.

TIA!
Nicki
NYC
6,951 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
there no weight limit for baggage
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed:
Carnival Miracle (2009), Carnival Glory (2010), Carnival Splendor (2013,2014), Carnival Vista (2016), Carnival Sunshine (2017)
Norwegian Gem (2012,2015), Norwegian Breakaway (2014)
New York, NY, USA
11,229 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Yes, there is an official weight limit of 50lbs per bag, with a 2-bag limit per passenger. However, it is NEVER enforced. If you're over by a couple pounds, absolutely nothing will happen. All that said, you should try your best to respect the rule because it's there mainly to protect the workers who handle the bags. Anything over 50lbs is considered enough to possibly injure a worker. You're better off with an extra bag than an extremely overweight bag since the 2-bag limit is not enforced.
N.Y.
3,253 Posts
Joined Jul 2002
Originally posted by johnql
Yes, there is an official weight limit of 50lbs per bag, with a 2-bag limit per passenger. However, it is NEVER enforced. If you're over by a couple pounds, absolutely nothing will happen. All that said, you should try your best to respect the rule because it's there mainly to protect the workers who handle the bags. Anything over 50lbs is considered enough to possibly injure a worker. You're better off with an extra bag than an extremely overweight bag since the 2-bag limit is not enforced.
You are correct I totally agree with you.
New Jersey
24 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
When I fly, my bags usually come in around 60-70 lbs. Only once did I have an issue with an overweight bag because I purchased a large serving platter as a souvenir. Just had to move it to my carry on and all was well. Really don't want to drag 4-6 bags through the train stations.
New York, NY, USA
11,229 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Just my opinion, but I think that if you're bringing over 100lbs of baggage per person onto a cruise ship, you're over-packing. Especially since we're talking about NCL's Freestyle cruising, where formal clothes are very much optional.
Nashville, TN (we moved, again)
20,799 Posts
Joined Dec 2003
Just my opinion, but I think that if you're bringing over 100lbs of baggage per person onto a cruise ship, you're over-packing. Especially since we're talking about NCL's Freestyle cruising, where formal clothes are very much optional.
Yea, but all those bottles of booze weight it down.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RoundTheWorld Blog and Recent Cruises : www.rtw40.com
NCL Jade New England Oct 6-16, 2017 ...............Viking Sky - Feb 25,2017 Rome to Barcelona
Viking - Paris to Prague - Oct 20, 2016 .....Allure of the Seas-FTL to Barcelona 4/19/15 ......NCL Pearl -Seatle-Alaska 6/22/14

NCL Dawn - Tampa to Boston 4/27/14.......NCL Dawn-Boston-Bermuda RT 7/26/13 ..[Celebrity Reflection-Carribean 12/8/12
NCL Spirit New Orleans 3/28/10.................NCL Jade - Med to Miami 1/25/09...............NCL Pearl Miami-Panama-Seattle 4/13/08
NCL Spirit New Orleans 11/25/07...............NCL Spirit New England 9/30/07.................NCL Spirit -NYC , 9/29/07
NCL Sun from New Orleans 3/25/07..........NCL Jewel Barcelona-Miami 10/21/06.........QM2 from New York to England 4/15/06
Alaska via Princess Dawn 5/30/05..............Seabourn Pride: NY-FL-Nassau, 10/17/04...Alaska via Carnival Spirit 6/2/04
New Jersey
24 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Just my opinion, but I think that if you're bringing over 100lbs of baggage per person onto a cruise ship, you're over-packing.

You know what? You're right! Our usual 75lb. bag is for BOTH of us, and then we have a small carry on, but we were planning on packing separate bags for this trip, each one pulling one suitcase along. Thank you for helping put this in perspective!!
5,022 Posts
Joined May 2009
As others said, I think it is more for consideration of the persons that have to handle it. Over 50 lbs (or even 50 lbs) is pretty heavy, especially for some of the smaller room stewards (guys and gals) that will deliver them to your room for you.