Regent Says, We're Not Sorry You Have Cancer and We're Keeping Your Money

jhower

The $300 OBC wasn't working for us anymore because if we received any OBC's from our TA, we would not receive OBC from Amex. We have also noticed that the Centurion Lounges were not as good as when they first opened so we won't miss them that much (except perhaps for the one in Dallas).

And now, Amex won’t give you the $300 OBC unless you paid for the entire trip with them. So if you put the deposit on one card and make final payment with another, no credit. Not an issue for us as I pay attention to that, but others have had difficulties.

And now, Amex won’t give you the $300 OBC unless you paid for the entire trip with them. So if you put the deposit on one card and make final payment with another, no credit. Not an issue for us as I pay attention to that, but others have had difficulties.

I thought that was always the case -- that you had to pay for the entire cruise with AMEX, to receive the OBC. At least that has been my experience. And, I always receive a sizeable OBC from my TA along with the AMEX $300 OBC.

And now, Amex won’t give you the $300 OBC unless you paid for the entire trip with them. So if you put the deposit on one card and make final payment with another, no credit. Not an issue for us as I pay attention to that, but others have had difficulties.[/qu$300 OBC was overcome by the CSR triple points from travel and that can with Chase Reserve be converted to much more, in most cases cash than the $300 OBC that is non refundable.

Some if not all of the Amex $300 is paid for by Regent FYI.

I have a question regarding 'trip insurance' provided by a credit card. I thought that the coverage was only for 'post-departure' issues such as trip interruption, baggage delay/loss, emergency medical, etc. Do any of these cards really reimburse the thousands of dollars spent to purchase the trip in the event of a cancellation for what may be defined as a 'covered reason'?

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction to investigate these cards as an option next time I look for a new card.

I have a Citi AAdvantage Mastercard (the one with the Admirals Club membership). We had to cancel two weeks prior to a cruise last December for a medical reason, and the travel insurance covered the entire cost of the cruise. We had to submit a "note" from the physician, but the full cost was returned to us within I believe 30 days.

Chase sapphire reserve or preferred cover cancellation up to $20k per occurrence and $40k per 12 month period and if you gave both the coverage is doubled as long as you pay a portion on each card.

For full info download a copy of the coverage booklet

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello all,

It feels as I've been away a thousand years! Just came out of a hurricane zone in Puerto Rico and I'm dreaming of going back to Regent!

I'm late to the party here but this is one of my pet peeves: Cruise lines benefitting from their draconian cancellation policies, and being able to resell cabins cancelled , while keeping the monies of the original buyers. I'm fully in agreement with Travelcat, this is something that needs to be raised and rectified.

Hi Sheila!! Long time no see!

Hello all,

It feels as I've been away a thousand years! Just came out of a hurricane zone in Puerto Rico and I'm dreaming of going back to Regent!

I'm late to the party here but this is one of my pet peeves: Cruise lines benefitting from their draconian cancellation policies, and being able to resell cabins cancelled , while keeping the monies of the original buyers. I'm fully in agreement with Travelcat, this is something that needs to be raised and rectified.

Hi Sheila!! Long time no see!

Hi Maria

Hope your family is fine in Puerto Rico. Sorry for your problems. Herb and I are good and doing the Transatlantic on the Explorer again this year. Phone me when you can so we can catch up. Are you taking any cruises?

Sheila

• 3 weeks later...

Compare trip insurance policies, then buy one! We've been exploring by land and sea for 40 years now. Up until year 35, we didn't buy trip insurance. Then the day came when my husband had to have emergency surgery and we did not have insurance on that trip.

Since then we have purchased trip insurance and that came in very handy when in 2016 with one week to go before a cruise, I was put in the hospital, was there for three weeks and had unexpected surgery. The surgeon did the paperwork for us and we had a check from Allianz in less than three weeks.

Lesson learned. Buy Trip Insurance. It's costly, but the alternative is worse.

I always get insurance, but this subject is quite aggravating. Cruise lines' and airlines' contracts of carriage are among the very, very few types of contracts in civil law countries where a party not only has no duty to mitigate, but even if mitigation occurs, they can keep the original party's money AND the money from the party they re-sold the space to. And, usually the later party has paid more. Even if the person withdrawing from the contract finds a substitute for the contract, which usually is complete complete mitigation if the substitute pays full price, the carrier can collect from both.

In many ways, insurance is what gave these carriers the freedom to do this. So, if you're in the OP's position, too bad, you should have bought insurance. Indeed, until recently cruise lines were pretty much the only carriers to do this. Airlines used to have compassion policies for people who had to cancel due to illness or death in the family. No more. "You should have bought the insurance." I guess I'm an enabler by continuing to fly and sail knowing that this is the situation, and buying the insurance, but it isn't a positive turn in the law.

• 1 month later...
Several years ago, we cancelled our Regent cruise in the Mediterranean because of illness When we had to cancel our Regent cruise, after final payment was made, we never even questioned whether Regent owed us anything. We never questioned whether our suite was resold.

We never travel without insurance. Our insurance company refunded all our monies. We always insure for the full amount. Insurance is costly because the cruise is expensive and so is the policy we buy.

This is the norm for most travelers.

I am sorry, but I do not understand why the TS thinks they are entitled to anything. They are not. That was the contract you made with Regent.

As you can see, only one poster, amongst many, has raised issues regarding a refund. Can you imagine the havoc it would create for Regent, if they had to decide who is the entitled to a refund and who is not.

In addition, has the poster on the other thread, who wanted to cancel because of Irma problems, checked if his insurance company covered this issue? Did he have insurance? That question was never answered.

Everyone else understands Regent policy regarding this issue. If that policy changes, it won't be because of this thread or Cruise Critic followers.

Sheila

Just a quick question, following your cancellation and forfeiting of your fare, did the line at least give you any loyalty points on their passenger loyalty club?

Just a quick question, following your cancellation and forfeiting of your fare, did the line at least give you any loyalty points on their passenger loyalty club?

Interesting question but since they didn’t Sail I’m pretty sure the answer is no. The loyalty points are for sailing and not just “Paying”.

Interesting question but since they didn’t Sail I’m pretty sure the answer is no. The loyalty points are for sailing and not just “Paying”.

We had to cancel a cruise on the Explorer last year 3 days before sail date due to a medical emergency. Regent did end up crediting us the Seven Seas Society points when asked to do so by our travel agent.