Useful or not?

NewSalt

I'm quite sure I'm not arguing with you. What the problem seems to be is that I'm not agreeing with you. The OP asked a very valid and nice question about a little gift for someone and a lanyard would be one of many fine gifts. I would think it would be most helpful when going to the beach, among other things. You most certainly do not need to use a lanyard since you seem to find them distasteful. As you often say.....some will agree and others will not. I'm glad that your husband has found a solution that works for him.

I'm quite sure I'm not arguing with you. What the problem seems to be is that I'm not agreeing with you. The OP asked a very valid and nice question about a little gift for someone and a lanyard would be one of many fine gifts. I would think it would be most helpful when going to the beach, among other things. You most certainly do not need to use a lanyard since you seem to find them distasteful. As you often say.....some will agree and others will not. I'm glad that your husband has found a solution that works for him.

Okay - so I'll try again. This is not about agree or disagreeing. The fact is that almost 100% of passengers on Regent do not wear lanyards (to restate - this is not an opinion). Whether they should wear them or you think it would be nice at the beach isn't at issue. IMO, it would be unfair to the TS to advise them to get an item (any item) that the person she is gifting would not use and a lanyard likely falls into that category.

I have a lanyard that is waterproof, that you can stick the room key and some money, your phone. It can get wet and go in the water. I find that very useful. Do I walk around a foreign country in the city with that on my neck - no! However it is very useful for many active activities. I love the idea of the battery power tea candles.

I have a lanyard that is waterproof, that you can stick the room key and some money, your phone. It can get wet and go in the water. I find that very useful. Do I walk around a foreign country in the city with that on my neck - no! However it is very useful for many active activities. I love the idea of the battery power tea candles.

Just catching up. I'm glad that you mentioned that you have and find a lanyard useful. The FACT is that Travelcat2 does not think Regent passengers should use or like lanyards for not so veiled reasons. Unless someone was able to examine each and every passenger on each and every ship , 365 days a year,and 24 hours a day, they would be speculating about the use of lanyards. The OP has been given some splendid ideas for gifts and that is my opinion.

Okay - so I'll try again. This is not about agree or disagreeing. The fact is that almost 100% of passengers on Regent do not wear lanyards (to restate - this is not an opinion). Whether they should wear them or you think it would be nice at the beach isn't at issue. IMO, it would be unfair to the TS to advise them to get an item (any item) that the person she is gifting would not use and a lanyard likely falls into that category.

A FACT that almost 100% do not wear lanyards? I personally don't use them, but my wife does during the day as she does not carry a purse on board and usually has no pockets to carry her suite key. I'll have to tell her that is not permissible on Regent according to you.

A FACT that almost 100% do not wear lanyards? I personally don't use them, but my wife does during the day as she does not carry a purse on board and usually has no pockets to carry her suite key. I'll have to tell her that is not permissible on Regent according to you.

See? This is what I was talking about in my other post - there's really no reason to stoop to the snark. I'd have to agree that almost 100% of Regent passengers don't wear lanyards. I've been on 8 previous Regent cruises, so I've sailed with somewhere near 4,500 other passengers and I've maybe seen 1 or 2 people wearing lanyards. By my math, that's something like 99.95% not wearing lanyards. I don't recall seeing anyone say it's not permissible - just that it's not common. And I agree 100% with that comment.

If you want to wear a lanyard, wear a lanyard. If it makes your life easier, I'm all for it. But if I was leaving on my first Regent cruise and had my choice of bon voyage gifts, I'd much prefer a USB hub or a nightlight to a lanyard.

But that's just me. :rolleyes:

I haven't been on my first Regent cruise yet but my only experience so far is that the cabins are pitch black at night. To my mind a small torch or light of some kind is essential for getting to the bathroom without disturbing your partner.

Gary - on Explorer, there is a small night light in the ceiling just above the bathroom door down the hallway, at least in the D through H cabins (and I'd assume in the higher level cabins as well) that can be switched on and off via a switch by the nightstands. It's bright enough to see by but not too bright as to disturb someone else sleeping. The problem I have, though, is that once you're in the bathroom the only lights are the overhead or vanity lights, and they're both very bright so you get 'light-shocked' when you turn them on. Having a small LED light (either plugged into the shaver outlet or one of the battery tea lights) prevents having to turn on the brighter lights. That makes it easier for me to drop back to sleep later.

Bill, will share my nightlight secret but you must promise not to laugh. There is a nightlight that was made for the toilet so that men could aim better. It is motion activated. Apparently these were not selling well (first saw this on Shark Tank), and they show up regularly as special deals on Amazon. I have one standing on the counter in my bathroom with the sensor pointed towards the door. It comes on when anyone enters the bathroom at night (not too bright at all but you can certain see where you are going) and it goes off in maybe 30 seconds if there is no movement. It is really inexpensive -- likely because no one wants it but it is very useful.

Just to add that on the Mariner the "shaver" outlet is " ON " only when the main lights in the bath are on ! I use a 6' extinction cord to plug into the outlet on the vanity each night and the other end loops over the rail on the glass shelf, a pain but it works. A battery unit of coarse would not have this problem.

You also never see lanyards on Crystal cruises or on Regent cruises.

These ships are all inclusive and you almost never have to sign for anything.

As for where to keep your card, that's easy, men always have pockets somewhere, unless they are wearing a bikini Speedo, and not too many men on these ships wear them.

Women, small over the shoulder bags and as a last resort, in your bra.

cheers, Pat

You also never see lanyards on Crystal cruises or on Regent cruises...............

cheers, Pat

Crystal gave out lanyards this summer on the 2017 Northwest passage cruse and almost everyone wore them . Crystal even has as special hole punch that makes an elongated hole to make it easier to clip on.

As far as wearing lanyards on Regent. I do. Always have, probably always will. Regent gave us all Lanyards at an "Full Cruisers" part, in Bahrain, for the first Discovery Collections cruise party many years ago. It was from the Bahrain Grand Prix One formula, Race track. It is bright yellow. As soon as I get on board I go to the Pursers office and have them punch a hole in my card so I can attach to my lanyard.

After 41 Regent cruises no one has ever made any comment.

I never thought anyone really cared.

As far as the notion that wearing an lanyard ashore makes you look more like a tourist, I don't worry. Most pick-pocket and petty thieves can spot tourist a mile away just from your shoes.

J

My pretty Crystal Blue lanyard color coordinating with Crystals NWP17 "Pumpkin" Arctic jacket ux6L4SgcKZ3eG8p4-PzUohXds8HLrpaR9ArVK9uUDgqfxSUPPtpjd4ltd8wUJFRomZwTYyaX7zxD-_WxsUnVKG_ZixygY-OuOFd3wKJMqJupOlK-QYgO56iTgHXduwaW5sg8ifB4GKcMpf26ZcZfFdUpObWhuXkeAVhT5N2JyjFAUf_58lw7eChDwiQVoOtxYOJCzaQ5h7gDWI71R5d5YM7-OtdLQhKR7S8BnIdpoLdnAC5Q6AECtv6NlZBy3nlKEr6xlH1mkEmKu_ec2efz-9YFeEUCMSa7677QxYFMwYmf8HgC-OmN3K-VSnHAeNBaRozEVdZXtfxB_865zu3jTnxYetmKfvxISEHPvMgjBE9qYVbQZ2J7NWTsSLFSdMjA1_qLPkMJDsBrU5QzR3tzrDn_Z62Wopplkj7KhoTiJIoAT8Lrsn9YwXx22-2PryT8EbZNlR7L3q_bdszoB--ExYeUNzqUKSA3FEIYtSsvTFGtUsdlQTT0rrKkGaeTjHRNmGLdLXIr7M3fM2Els9lc0BrARR3Q-sR-sT0AnJbOmWh34TPyOtkMbnehxQZu7N2hJoEAHooKibi7SiuLs9_fN4GMpeWACI6wBOlSDmcNww=w806-h875-no

AF1QipNmjBE-MWPi_hJy_QZjtnzfcG_57eevDHyVQOrIC:\Users\Jeff AMD Athlon\Pictures

Edited by JMARINER

Crystal gave out lanyards this summer on the 2017 Northwest passage cruse and almost everyone wore them . Crystal even has as special hole punch that makes an elongated hole to make it easier to clip on.

I can definitely see the advantage to having a lanyard on that type of cruise - wearing gloves and heavier clothing would make it difficult to fumble around in pockets or bags for a card, the lanyard would make that much easier when you're bundled up.

As far as wearing lanyards on Regent. I do. Always have, probably always will. Regent gave us all Lanyards at an "Full Cruisers" part, in Bahrain, for the first Discovery Collections cruise party many years ago. It was from the Bahrain Grand Prix One formula, Race track. It is bright yellow. As soon as I get on board I go to the Pursers office and have them punch a hole in my card so I can attach to my lanyard.

After 41 Regent cruises no one has ever made any comment.

Personally, I'd never make a comment if someone else had a lanyard. Working for the government for so many years, I've worn lanyards and badges of so many different types over the years that I honestly really don't even notice them any longer...but it I saw you wearing one on a Mediterranean cruise on Regent? I wouldn't bat an eye. And I sure wouldn't make a comment. Your neck, your call. :D

As far as the notion that wearing an lanyard ashore makes you look more like a tourist, I don't worry. Most pick-pocket and petty thieves can spot tourist a mile away just from your shoes.

I don't worry about so much about having thieves use my lanyard as 'tourist identification' - they probably wouldn't even be able to see it underneath my fat black and yellow Nikon camera strap. ;)

I don't care either -- I just would not recommend it as a gift.

I probably wouldn't either, but if someone gave me one I'd thank them and probably send them a few pictures of me wearing it...but I'm sure they'd wonder why 99% of my vacation shots would show me sans lanyard. ;p

I guess there are more practical suggestions, but someone might really love it.

:(

For more ideas, you can to browse our gift order form via our website : https://www.rssc.com/media/hostedfiles/pdfs/MK_APR173293_Bon_Voyage_special_gift.pdf

Very nice gifts thanks for posting.

I do however have a question. We had a lovely renewal of vows ceremony in 2010 on Voyager.

We didn’t receive the flowers or chocolates. We did have all the other items on the list.

Have you upgraded the package since 2010?

It was a very special moment for us answered our friends who wer travelling with us

to be our witnesses. Very well organised by the social hostess and captain.

Jean.

Soon I will be travelling Regent and I will be using a lanyard as I do not carry a purse or even bring one on cruises and most of my women's clothes do not have pockets. Ashore I just take it off and put it in my backpack. I am not shy about being the only on using a lanyard.

Soon I will be travelling Regent and I will be using a lanyard as I do not carry a purse or even bring one on cruises and most of my women's clothes do not have pockets. Ashore I just take it off and put it in my backpack. I am not shy about being the only on using a lanyard.

Again, people will do what they do but it doesn't change my recommendation to the TS. While lanyard wearing on Regent is unusual, no one will say anything. You don't carry a purse and I don't carry a backpack but always have a place to keep my room key. I need a small handbag onboard to keep reading glasses, Kleenex, lipstick and a couple of disinfectant wipes (very handy to help prevent getting sick on the ship). Regent makes cute shoulder bags with several pockets (very small) that quite a few of us like. We wear it so that it is hands-free and can carry more than just a room key. That would have been my suggestion for the TS but one can only purchase them onboard.

Think I'll try to get my friends to do a lanyard hunt onboard the Mariner next month -- just to see what we find.:halo: If I find some, I may post a picture (headless for privacy reasons).

[quote name=Travelcat2;54331610

Think I'll try to get my friends to do a lanyard hunt onboard the Mariner next month -- just to see what we find.:halo: If I find some' date=' I may post a picture (headless for privacy reasons).[/quote]

That will be an amazing way for you and your friends to spend their cruise time.:halo:

That will be an amazing way for you and your friends to spend their cruise time.:halo:

While you do not know me or my friends, agree that it will be a fun search. Almost anything that we do is great fun which is one of many reasons that we love Regent.