Wondering how voter turmoil in Spain will impact cruising to that area

Phillygirl3

Listening to the news of the voting situation in Spain which has led to arrests and injuries in Barcelona, I can't help wondering if this situation could affect cruising to Spain. I hope that the events, in Spain, reach a peaceful conclusion as I am looking forward to cruising to that region in February.

I was wondering the same thing. I suppose it depends upon how quickly and peacefully things will be going forward. Regent will likely wait until your cruise is much closer before deciding whether or not to change ports. Since Barcelona is often an embarkation/debarkation port, it might be a good idea to let Regent book flights which would avoid people having to pay penalties if the port is changed.

Looked on the Regent website and noticed that passengers on Explorer are to disembark in Barcelona on Wednesday. They are in Cadiz today. My TA is blogging this segment so it will be interesting to see if anything is out of the ordinary.

Please let us know what your TA learns. Thanks!

Greetings from South Beach. In November 2014, we flew to Barcelona to board Riviera's TA to Miami. We arrived a week early, shortly after a referendum about leaving Spain. Many windows were adorned with flags of both sides. Other than that, the city was normal, right down to the pickpockets. Our favorite hotel in Barcelona, Hotel Colon, is right across from Catedral, in the center of the Gothic Quarter. Nothing untoward happened. Most passengers will stay in hotels in modern Barcelona. Departure docks are not central either. Personally, I wouldn't worry about having any problems.

We have been to Barcelona many times. If we were doing other TA or any other cruise ending or beginning in Barcelona, we would just go. We like it there, Considering what is going on in the world, for example Las Vegas last night, Barcelona looks pretty safe. Bon Voyage!

Totally agree with that sentiment. Where in the world is anywhere that is totally safe now when will be when you visit? We have travelled in the knowledge that a shipping line would not visit a port if anything had a dramatic change in risk and been sensible in avoiding large crowds or demonstrations if they happen whilst you are there.

I live in Spain and there may be a General Strike in Catalonia this week .

It will not make any difference to the port of Barcelona , we were there during a strike and taxis were still running.

I think there is a lot of scaremongering going on. Wherever you are be aware and you wil be safe

We arrived in Barcelona this morning and everything appears normal. We took a taxi to the airport around 9:00 am and there was the normal amount of heavy traffic going into town. The airport was operating as normal but there were a lot of passengers.

I wouldn't be concerned at all about being in Barcelona!

We arrived in Barcelona this morning and everything appears normal. We took a taxi to the airport around 9:00 am and there was the normal amount of heavy traffic going into town. The airport was operating as normal but there were a lot of passengers.

I wouldn't be concerned at all about being in Barcelona!

Thanks for this timely report!

I would be a bit concerned about Mallorca, Minorca, Ibiza and the other Balearic Islands, where anti-tourist protesters are quite active. No threat to life and limb, but they have tagged tourist buses and even slashed tires.

• 2 weeks later...

arrived on referendum day no problem..next day some protests and the federals got aggressive....next day protest, day tour cancelled, no taxis, but it was like a parade no problems whatsoever..walked the gothic quarter had a nice lunch,dinner drank some more...next day boarded explorer no bad days....

arrived on referendum day no problem..next day some protests and the federals got aggressive....next day protest, day tour cancelled, no taxis, but it was like a parade no problems whatsoever..walked the gothic quarter had a nice lunch,dinner drank some more...next day boarded explorer no bad days....

Hi!!

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings from South Beach, Everyone. As of yesterday the Spanish government is going to take control of Catalonia. Regent et al will be monitoring the situation. I would keep in touch with them.

M

Sent from my iPhone using Forums