Posting hints

AWED23

Perhaps some tips on posting might be helpful at this time ? I think it would be very helpful if posters took the time and effort to reread their posts before submitting them and try to read them through the eyes of those for whom they were meant. It might also help if repliers read fully the posts that they are replying to in order to truly understand them. An obvious tip would to always make a difference between an opinion and a fact or making sure that second hand rumor is shown as just that. Enough of my pet peeves what might others have to offer ???:confused::confused:

Perhaps some tips on posting might be helpful at this time ? I think it would be very helpful if posters took the time and effort to reread their posts before submitting them and try to read them through the eyes of those for whom they were meant. It might also help if repliers read fully the posts that they are replying to in order to truly understand them. An obvious tip would to always make a difference between an opinion and a fact or making sure that second hand rumor is shown as just that. Enough of my pet peeves what might others have to offer ???:confused::confused:

I'd just add that if you're upset for whatever reason and feel like flaming Regent (or any other line, for that matter) that you take a page from the old correspondence rule book and type your rant out in another application and save it. Then go take a walk, have a drink, watch some TV, get a good nights' sleep, and then re-read what you wrote the next day. If you still feel the need to post what you've written, then by all means, do it. But I'd venture a guess that most of us (myself included) would probably ease up on our criticism after some time to reflect.

I know that I took a shot at Regent just a few weeks ago, and was at the point of scoping out other travel options. Regent stepped up and made things right, and we booked the original cruise we wanted. I quite possibly would have gotten the same satisfaction working with Regent directly rather than ripping them in this public forum.

After all, as others have stated, pretty much all of the complaints here are definite first-world issues that really don't matter that much in the grand scheme of things...

• Like 7

I'd just add that if you're upset for whatever reason and feel like flaming Regent (or any other line, for that matter) that you take a page from the old correspondence rule book and type your rant out in another application and save it. Then go take a walk, have a drink, watch some TV, get a good nights' sleep, and then re-read what you wrote the next day. If you still feel the need to post what you've written, then by all means, do it. But I'd venture a guess that most of us (myself included) would probably ease up on our criticism after some time to reflect.

I know that I took a shot at Regent just a few weeks ago, and was at the point of scoping out other travel options. Regent stepped up and made things right, and we booked the original cruise we wanted. I quite possibly would have gotten the same satisfaction working with Regent directly rather than ripping them in

After all, as others have stated, pretty much all of the complaints here are definite first-world issues that really don't matter that much in the grand scheme of things...

Bravo for your post. Thank you.

I know that I took a shot at Regent just a few weeks ago, and was at the point of scoping out other travel options. Regent stepped up and made things right, and we booked the original cruise we wanted. I quite possibly would have gotten the same satisfaction working with Regent directly rather than ripping them in this public forum.

....Very well said and good advice on so many fronts. Thanks, Rob.

Totally agree...I often type a rant out in Word or whatever..save it..wait a bit and re-read..half the time it never sees this board...

Many many folks come to these boards looking for sage advice, not bickering!..

And because of our personal history, whatever it is, we ofter see the same issues or points in a completely different light.

Be respectful of each other. If you disagree with someone's opinion or point of view, post your opinion rather than criticizing the poster.

This doesn't translate to the problem that exists.

The major issue here is not posting one's opinion, but rather to find a way to insist that opinions are not posted as irrefutable facts and when called on it, not to consider it bashing.

Be respectful of each other. If you disagree with someone's opinion or point of view, post your opinion rather than criticizing the poster.

Hi TC, hope you and your DH are enjoying your cruise. We want to hear your review when you return. Just enjoy and forget about all this minutia posted here.:)

Aloha All,

Last year when we were considering our first Regent cruise, the most helpful posts were those which described a poster's direct experience on board a Regent ship. We learned a lot and had a number of specific questions answered. Mahalo to those who answered our questions.

The least helpful threads, and those which nearly convinced me to cancel our cruise last year, were those threads (far too many of them) in which incessant bickering, name calling and down right rudeness were found in the majority of posts. I was really put off for a while, and I still don't get it.

Are we not supposed to be discussing vacation activities? Why all the negativity and hate? It simply makes no sense to me.

Finally, reading between the lines here, and this is simply my impression as a casual reader/poster, there seems to a good number of regular Regent Board CC posters who are former Regent customers, but for one reason or another, they no longer sail Regent.

Thus, I think that it would be helpful when one responds to a specific question, especially if one has an overwhelmingly positive or negative response, to let the readers know approximately how long it has been since the poster has been on a Regent ship. Obviously, things change over time, and a response based on a sailing five years ago may be far less relevant (or even factually correct) than one based on a sailing within the past year or two.

Aloha from Hanalei,

Mark

• Like 2

Aloha All,

Last year when we were considering our first Regent cruise, the most helpful posts were those which described a poster's direct experience on board a Regent ship. We learned a lot and had a number of specific questions answered. Mahalo to those who answered our questions.

The least helpful threads, and those which nearly convinced me to cancel our cruise last year, were those threads (far too many of them) in which incessant bickering, name calling and down right rudeness were found in the majority of posts. I was really put off for a while, and I still don't get it.

Are we not supposed to be discussing vacation activities? Why all the negativity and hate? It simply makes no sense to me.

Finally, reading between the lines here, and this is simply my impression as a casual reader/poster, there seems to a good number of regular Regent Board CC posters who are former Regent customers, but for one reason or another, they no longer sail Regent.

Thus, I think that it would be helpful when one responds to a specific question, especially if one has an overwhelmingly positive or negative response, to let the readers know approximately how long it has been since the poster has been on a Regent ship. Obviously, things change over time, and a response based on a sailing five years ago may be far less relevant (or even factually correct) than one based on a sailing within the past year or two.

Aloha from Hanalei,

Mark

Add to that those who have not had first hand experience regarding the specifics they post about.

That's what really clutters up the board.

They expound with hearsay....which of course wouldn't even hold up in court...but when someone takes them to task, they cry that they're being bashed, and as a result, the moderator deletes the entire thread.

Perhaps understanding the different in a fact and opinion.

A fact: The Voyager's capacity is 700 pax

An Opinion: The Voyager is crowded in the buffet.

A Fact: All Regent Excursions Are included. (not true!)

A Fact: There are excursions you have to pay for

An opinion: The Bus is crowded

A Fact: The bus holds 51 passengers and for the excursion there were 40 on board.

An opinion: The food is good;

An opinion The food is the best at sea

A fact: The food is prepared to order

• Like 1

Aloha All,

Aloha from Hanalei,

Mark

You bring up an excellent point. Some very vocal and argumentative posters have not sailed Regent in the past year or two. And, yes - things do change over time. I have not been on the Mariner in 6 months and recent postings sound completely different than what we experienced. So, posters who have not sailed Regent in two years certainly are not aware of the current product.

I'm pretty sure that everyone knows the difference between an opinion and a fact, however, they use this as yet another point to argue. Wish I were a psychologist so I could determine what causes the anger that bubbles up on the Regent board.

Suite Travels: Enjoying our cruise -- just leaving Russia - on our way to Japan. Hope my DH enjoyed the Bering Sea (quite rough):p I do not plan on posting a review but if you contact me I can give you some details. Fortunately, the rather childish comments made towards me are not concerning. Life has so many positive things that I cannot be affected by the negativity. Be well!

• Like 1

I applaud many of the comments.

There are many advantages to the capabilities that are available to all of us to communicate but one of the drawbacks is that it is realtime.

For example, 24 hours news has meant that news people comment immediately rather than in the old days when they had 24 hours to think through things in more detail.

The same is when you cruise. Sometimes, on reflection our thoughts and opinions change and what seemed to be so very important matters less 24 hours or maybe a week or two weeks later.

I will share another point that I learned a long time ago and applies to posting. For good or bad the company I was associated with was one of the originators of e-mail. As such I have been on it since around 1982. One thing we realized about a year into it was that people would say things in an e-mail that they would never say to your face. We reminded people of that and to never say something in an e mail that we would never say in public and sometimes to just put the comments in a draft folder and to reread them before sending them.

Finally, one of the golden rules is to be respectful of others and to treat others the way you would want to be treated and do remember that there are usually two, maybe even more, sides to every story.

And remember for most things on Cruise Critic they are really subjective other than the questions that really are fact based.

If we all saw things the same way and had the same views, we would all wear the same type of clothing, drive the same type of cars, eat the same foods, dine at the same restaurants, stay at the same hotels, and even cruise the same cruise line and the world would be boring. Enjoy the fact that we have a lot of choice and that there are many factors that influence how we each have different opinions.

And in the end remember that the only opinion that counts is your own but be respectful of those opinions that are different than your own.

Keith

Be as critical as you like if your opinion is based on your own experiences. This is, after all, Cruise Critic.

But don't criticize other posters, or their opinions. To each his own.

More important, if someone else criticizes you, ignore it. Turn the other cheek, as it were.

I believe the history of my cruises is in my signature. Don't need to belabour the point that I perhaps took my last Regent cruise over a year ago.

Perhaps understanding the different in a fact and opinion.

A fact: The Voyager's capacity is 700 pax

An Opinion: The Voyager is crowded in the buffet.

A Fact: All Regent Excursions Are included. (not true!)

A Fact: There are excursions you have to pay for

An opinion: The Bus is crowded

A Fact: The bus holds 51 passengers and for the excursion there were 40 on board.

An opinion: The food is good;

An opinion The food is the best at sea

A fact: The food is prepared to order

Great post !!!:D

• Like 1

Be as critical as you like if your opinion is based on your own experiences. This is, after all, Cruise Critic.

But don't criticize other posters, or their opinions. To each his own.

More important, if someone else criticizes you, ignore it. Turn the other cheek, as it were.

I believe the history of my cruises is in my signature. Don't need to belabour the point that I perhaps took my last Regent cruise over a year ago.

Really good advice for all. Turning the other cheek is the best way to handle perceived personal criticism. Thanks Wendy.:D

• 1 month later...
Host Dan: I think this is still a work in progress but haven't given up hope that the Regent board will be a pleasant place to visit someday:)

:) Your help in this matter would really be appreciated.

:) Your help in this matter would really be appreciated.

Would you please explain your post? I am one of the biggest supporters of addressing the post -- not attacking or putting down the poster. I will continue to be respectful of other posters and to post my opinions. Admittedly, I have strong opinions and don't see that changing. Regent has a great product, amazing management, officers and crew - I'm obviously a Regent cheerleader. However, I am honest about my opinions -- whether positive or negative.

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 1

Would you please explain your post? I am one of the biggest supporters of addressing the post -- not attacking or putting down the poster. I will continue to be respectful of other posters and to post my opinions. Admittedly, I have strong opinions and don't see that changing. Regent has a great product, amazing management, officers and crew - I'm obviously a Regent cheerleader. However, I am honest about my opinions -- whether positive or negative.
...:) Just read the original thread starter. I think it is self explanitory.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Have to agree that many times posts that are "tongue in cheek" are not taken that way. It is a good idea to share with others when you are joking:)
.Too.bad irony is not understood by all.......Some just cant get it....:(

• 4 months later...

It is really helpful when I read posts to know the cruising background of the poster. I understand that some people prefer not putting such detail in their signature but it could be mentioned in the post. When something has a rave review or even a mediocre review, it is easier put into perspective when we know what you are comparing it to.

Just a thought!