Travel Insurance for RSSC Cruises

Hi Everyone Took your advise and started another thread regarding travel insurance for our Regent cruises.

This is an important subject for many of us. We are getting up in years. This is not about whether or not to insure our cruises. It's about how to get the best insurance for the entire cost of our journey, including medical coverage, as the lowest cost possible. We all want the best coverage possible at the lowest cost available at a reputable insurance company.

Any ideas, recommendations and suggestions are welcome.

Regards

Sheila

Med Jet Assist is my first line of protection for Travel. Annual policy for US travelers is affordable. This is Medical Evacuation Coverage world wide to a Hospital of YOUR choosing and not just the nearest Third World Hospital which is what most Travel Insurance policies allow for. This is not to be confused with Travel Insurance, it is Evac Only and not any other protection.

https://medjetassist.com/

I have no connection and am not a Ins Agent for Med Jet

Med Jet Assist is my first line of protection for Travel. Annual policy for US travelers is affordable. This is Medical Evacuation Coverage world wide to a Hospital of YOUR choosing and not just the nearest Third World Hospital which is what most Travel Insurance policies allow for. This is not to be confused with Travel Insurance, it is Evac Only and not any other protection.

https://medjetassist.com/

I have no connection and am not a Ins Agent for Med Jet

Agree with you 100%, we took this protection. United has a good price with a mileage bonus credit. But we also always buy travel insurance via the inter-net--this way you can check pricing and benefits of each policy.

Rick

Copied this over from what I wrote on that other thread: I also got the Chase card. I still have my Amex as I had just paid the annual renewal fee, but plan on closing the account next year before the fee is due. Of course, I will have to transfer all my points out of my Amex account over to Delta, but that is fine. Amex is useful for some things ($15 per month Uber credit, the $300 OBC, centurion lounges), but Chase is overall much better for us now.

Also, Travelcat mentioned something about our friend who died on the Oceania world cruise last year. Something about him having the wrong insurance. Does this mean his widow was not able to get anything?

We have had Med Jet Assist for many years. Last year when we took the WC on the Navigator, we took out their ExPat policy, as it covered us for more days than their regular policy.

Also, if you are a member of AARP, you get a discount!

Also, Travelcat mentioned something about our friend who died on the Oceania world cruise last year. Something about him having the wrong insurance. Does this mean his widow was not able to get anything?

It was unclear on the Oceania board but the fact that there were difficulties with the insurance company that they used was brought up. As has been mentioned, insurance for a WC is several thousand dollars. We knew the gentleman that passed away and knew that he was conservative with his money which may have played into his insurance decision. Sadly, he was scheduled to be on the WC the year before but the ship (Nautica I believe) had a fire so many passengers delayed their trip until 2016. He passed away approximately a month into the cruise. He also sailed on Regent and was on CC quite a bit. We still miss him and his posts (his was a voice of reason - like yourself, Bill and Keith).

My advice would be not to take the least expensive insurance unless you have evidence that they do pay and there are others that can recommend them.

For trip insurance for the WC last year, we arranged our trip insurance through Steve Dasseos at tripinsurancestore.com. He was extremely helpful. We ended up getting a policy with Travel Guard, and we are very glad we did!

We ended up filing 2 claims; the first because I needed emergency surgery 3 days before sailing from Miami- we missed the first segment and boarded in San Diego, and the second, because my father-in-law became ill in the U.S. and passed away in March during our trip home (Phuket-Hong Kong-London-Baltimore). A week after the funeral we flew to Dubai to meet and re-board the ship.

Travel Guard was easy to work with, and we had our 2 checks in a matter of weeks. We would highly recommend them.

Another quick piece of advice, don't start to file a claim unless you are sure you will not be able to sail on any part of the cruise. We were advised that had we filed the claim for our first issue (my surgery), the rest of the policy would have been cancelled.

Another quick piece of advice, don't start to file a claim unless you are sure you will not be able to sail on any part of the cruise. We were advised that had we filed the claim for our first issue (my surgery), the rest of the policy would have been cancelled.

Thanks for recommendation I normally don’t do travel Ins But like u said people are getting older

What was the level coverage u choose

Thx in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I shop around on the Internet and use some of the aggregator sites like Squaremouth. By comparing policies and costs I come up with the most cost effective. We have had to cancel cruises twice for medical reasons and had medical issues from a fall on a third. Each time we had a different insurer and all were easy to work with. I would never travel without insurance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It was unclear on the Oceania board but the fact that there were difficulties with the insurance company that they used was brought up. As has been mentioned, insurance for a WC is several thousand dollars. We knew the gentleman that passed away and knew that he was conservative with his money which may have played into his insurance decision. Sadly, he was scheduled to be on the WC the year before but the ship (Nautica I believe) had a fire so many passengers delayed their trip until 2016. He passed away approximately a month into the cruise. He also sailed on Regent and was on CC quite a bit. We still miss him and his posts (his was a voice of reason - like yourself, Bill and Keith).

My advice would be not to take the least expensive insurance unless you have evidence that they do pay and there are others that can recommend them.

Jackie - who are you referring to?

I still don't completely understand the Sapphire credit card insurance. What exactly does it cover? We use Travelguard gold wth extended medical options. Always worry about something happening and I want to get home to my doctors and hospital. It's expensive but we pay the price for peace of mind.

This has been a very informative thread so far. Thank to everyone.

Sheila

Here is a link to the Chase Sapphire Reserve benefits. We have this card, and downgraded our Amex Platinum to Gold. Would have just cancelled Amex out right, but have a long established credit history with Amex (back to the 70's) so don't want to interrupt that history.

You can expand any of the categories to learn more details. There is also an option to download a PDF of the specific terms of coverage.

https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/sapphirereserve/travel

Sheila, I may be wrong but in reading the benefits of the Sapphire card, I believe it only covers items that have been payed for on the card. Items like the cruise and airfare.

I use insuremytrip.com to check the cost of different companies for my total cruise costs. We usually use AIG Travel Guard but have used a couple of others. I have had to use TG for reimbursement a few times for minor things and have never had an issue with them not paying out. I just make sure to take the insurance within 2 weeks of payment for the Existing Condition Waiver to be in effect.

Terri

Edited by tnr
Additional information.

Sheila, I may be wrong but in reading the benefits of the Sapphire card, I believe it only covers items that have been payed for on the card. Items like the cruise and airfare.

Correct, you have to pay for the travel you want covered with the card in order for the coverage to be in effect. Also, important to note that there is no pre-existing condition waiver with the Chase card benefits.

Correct, you have to pay for the travel you want covered with the card in order for the coverage to be in effect. Also, important to note that there is no pre-existing condition waiver with the Chase card benefits.

That's very important to me! So that would not work. Any other credit cards good to cover a pre existing condition?

While Chase Sapphire Reserve doesn't specifically mention pre-existing conditions (either as an inclusion or exclusion), here is an overview of their benefits. If anyone is interested in learning more, just give them a call.

http://milecards.com/1588430656/chase-sapphire-reserve-benefits/#travelprotection

The chase coverage is excellent. I am glad that the AA Citibank visa platinum has good coverage too, as I am keeping this card also because of the admirals club benefit, and because I have a 30+ year credit history with them.

It is very clearly stated in the Terms and Conditions that pre-existing conditions are NOT covered. A great part is that all you have to do is pay for any portion of what you want covered and you are covered so you can put say $100 on the Reserve card and $20K on another card and you are covered for the full value with the Reserve Card.

Alos, medical coverage is extremely limited, only $2500.

It is very clearly stated in the Terms and Conditions that pre-existing conditions are NOT covered. A great part is that all you have to do is pay for any portion of what you want covered and you are covered so you can put say $100 on the Reserve card and $20K on another card and you are covered for the full value with the Reserve Card.

Alos, medical coverage is extremely limited, only $2500.

If this is the case, kindly link us to the Terms and Conditions!

Actually, pre-existing conditions is an interesting subject. If a person has no history of heart problems (that they are aware of) and have a heart attack on the ship, is this a pre-existing condition (not asking you Dave - just something to think about). This may may very well be a reason why insurance will not pay a claim -- the condition was there but you did not know.

This reminds me of my one emergency illness in Sydney about 4 years ago. While I was on the post-cruise portion of cruise, I ended up in the hospital with a perforated ulcer. I had no previous knowledge that I even had an ulcer. Fortunately, my insurance paid 80% of my 7 night stay (and the hospital, ambulance and doctor fees in Australia were a tiny percentage of what would have been in the U.S.), I wonder if travel insurance would have covered this life-threatening event - assuming that it had happened while onboard. Lots of food for thought!

P.S. Even with 3 pints of Australian blood, I still don't have an accent:')

Edited by Travelcat2