Baltic Amber

53wonder

Hi All

We are going on our first Regent cruise July of '18 and super excited to spend two weeks with family.

I love amber and one of my favorite pieces was purchased in Copenhagen years ago on another cruise. Since we will be in a part of the world famous for their amber, I of course plan to shop! So I was hoping to hear if anyone had any suggestions or knowledge of great shopping areas to not be missed.

Another amber fan here! My husband's family is Lithuanian so I've got lots. Several years ago when we were in Copenhagen, there were quite a few shops right on the wharf next to the ship. There was a lovely amber shop right there. Pretty big! I bought our daughter a lovely pendant there that she still wears today. They had a large price range. I thought their things were reasonably priced. Hope that helps!

I'll check with my wife - we just returned from the Baltic last month and she found some beautiful, very unique pieces that were reasonably priced. I think she may have bought the nicest piece in Lithuania but I'm not 100% certain. I'll check with her and post an update later.

In the meantime, though - I don't think you can go wrong with any reputable shop - many of the ports there had a lot of shops, from pierside vendors to really upscale jewelry shops. I'm sure you'll be able to find something that makes you happy.

Unless you are purchasing for a reputable store, in which cases it is unlikely that you will get a bargain, be sure you know how to test for genuine Amber as we have seen many fake amber pieces on our travels around the Baltic, Russia and Scandinavia. If it looks too good to be true it probably is. If you just like the look of the item and don’t mine it not being genuine then it does not matter. Happy searching.

If your cruise includes Lithuania, there was an excursion when we went to there that included a museum on Amber with a gift shop. Also in Gdansk there is a museum with a gift shop. I bought a necklace at the Lithuania museum so sure of it being real. I bought a pair of earrings on the street. I suspect they are not real - too cheap - but I liked the way they looked.

From what we learned, the way to tell if real amber or not involve whether or not it floats and whether or not it burns. I can't remember which is which, but amber as part of jewelry really can't be tested these ways, so need a reputable store.

I bought some Amber on the Voyager and on the Navigator in the gift shop many years ago now. One piece is an exquisite necklace with silver beads on a silver chain. The other is an Amber bracelet. They are still some of my favorite pieces ever. There is amber to purchase in most of the ports on a Baltic Cruise. I also bought some in Tallin Estonia on a cruise.

Hi All

We are going on our first Regent cruise July of '18 and super excited to spend two weeks with family.

I love amber and one of my favorite pieces was purchased in Copenhagen years ago on another cruise. Since we will be in a part of the world famous for their amber, I of course plan to shop! So I was hoping to hear if anyone had any suggestions or knowledge of great shopping areas to not be missed.

Greetings from South Beach, 53wonder. When we visited Gdansk, we purchased two spectacular amber necklaces in a jewelry store right across from St. Mary's Church, where Pope John Paul was a priest before his elevation. There are many other amber shops in this town. We also visited shops in Copenhagen. Have a good time.

Mary

We purchased a beautiful amber necklace in a shop in Tallinn. It was simply called Amber House.It's a small shop, one of the older shops. It doesn't have the masses of amber you see in most shops but the service is very good. We also bought amber in Gdansk. We went on a tour of one of the amber factories. You could buy amber jewelry there. The prices were good. The jewelry being made was really quite beautiful and not what you might see in the big amber stores.

Greetings from South Beach, 53wonder. When we visited Gdansk, we purchased two spectacular amber necklaces in a jewelry store right across from St. Mary's Church, where Pope John Paul was a priest before his elevation. There are many other amber shops in this town. We also visited shops in Copenhagen. Have a good time.

Mary

Mary

Thank you so much for your reply. Knowing exactly where to go really helps when time is limited.