code red

espresso68

Code Red, by my understanding, is a protocol that is invoked to help prevent the spread of illness through out the ship, specifically norovirus. It includes steps such as eliminating self-service in buffet venues, removal of salt and pepper shakers and other condiments from tables, more stringent hand-washing and sanitizing, and a LOT of extra work for the crew in wiping down pretty much every surface on the ship.

I'm sure there's a lot more to it and others will chime in.

Actually I just saw this thread that provides more information on the steps followed for a Code Red: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2552794

The details start around post #11 or 12...

We were on a cruise (on another line) that had a Code Red and it's definitely an inconvenience, but it's not so bad as to ruin a trip, IMO. I try and avoid the more crowded areas, and I sanitize, sanitize, sanitize. It's really a lot of common sense steps that you'd follow anywhere there are a lot of people, just intensified. As one poster on the other thread mentioned, it's an inconvenience for the passengers but its a major pain for the crew...

A couple of tips that were given to us onboard the Mariner last month was that viruses are spread by touching handrails, elevator buttons (I press the buttons using my knuckles rather than my finger tips), doors going into and out of the restroom, using the computers in the computer room without wiping them down ...... I think you get the idea.

When we board the ship, we wipe down door handles, the remote control, telephone and other areas that are touched a lot. Since the peroxide based wipes have come out (used by hospitals and even work against norovirus) we always have them with us. A lot of diseases are spread on planes and they are not thoroughly cleaned on a regular basis. We always wipe down the food trays, arm rests and any non-fabric areas around us (and of don't open the bathroom doors with our bare hands).

Washing hands as much as possible does help. Also, not touching your mouth or nose (easier said that done -- when our noses itch, we scratch them without even thinking).

On our Mariner cruise next month, for the first time ever, we will use masks (type that is used in our doctors office) if people around us are coughing- no matter how dorky it looks. We tend to be exposed to people coughing and not covering their mouths more on excursions than on the ship.

Two areas that I haven't figured out how to address are the chairs in the dining rooms (arm rests, pulling them out and pushing them back under the table) and serving utensils. I'm thinking about using a paper napkin to hold the serving utensils.

I am using these precautions not became I am a germaphobe but because my DH ended up with pneumonia on a cruise in March of this year and a horrible cold that lasted three weeks after a 10 day Mariner cruise. So, it isn't always about "code red" but also about staying healthy - particularly during the winter months when we are traveling with so many people that are ill.

BTW, it hasn't been mentioned on this thread that once the ship goes into code red, 48 hours must pass with no new illnesses reported before they can end it and go back to normal.

P.S. In case anyone is wondering why my DH gets sick despite precautions........, he isn't paying attention to what he touches outside of the suite.

A couple of tips that were given to us onboard the Mariner last month was that viruses are spread by touching handrails, elevator buttons (I press the buttons using my knuckles rather than my finger tips), doors going into and out of the restroom, using the computers in the computer room without wiping them down ...... I think you get the idea.

When we board the ship, we wipe down door handles, the remote control, telephone and other areas that are touched a lot. Since the peroxide based wipes have come out (used by hospitals and even work against norovirus) we always have them with us. A lot of diseases are spread on planes and they are not thoroughly cleaned on a regular basis. We always wipe down the food trays, arm rests and any non-fabric areas around us (and of don't open the bathroom doors with our bare hands).

Washing hands as much as possible does help. Also, not touching your mouth or nose (easier said that done -- when our noses itch, we scratch them without even thinking).

On our Mariner cruise next month, for the first time ever, we will use masks (type that is used in our doctors office) if people around us are coughing- no matter how dorky it looks. We tend to be exposed to people coughing and not covering their mouths more on excursions than on the ship.

Two areas that I haven't figured out how to address are the chairs in the dining rooms (arm rests, pulling them out and pushing them back under the table) and serving utensils. I'm thinking about using a paper napkin to hold the serving utensils.

I am using these precautions not became I am a germaphobe but because my DH ended up with pneumonia on a cruise in March of this year and a horrible cold that lasted three weeks after a 10 day Mariner cruise. So, it isn't always about "code red" but also about staying healthy - particularly during the winter months when we are traveling with so many people that are ill.

BTW, it hasn't been mentioned on this thread that once the ship goes into code red, 48 hours must pass with no new illnesses reported before they can end it and go back to normal.

P.S. In case anyone is wondering why my DH gets sick despite precautions........, he isn't paying attention to what he touches outside of the suite.

Those are all great tips and we do most of those ourselves but still seems that at least one of us comes down with something on or after every trip. And, it is always when we sit in front of or around someone who coughs incessantly in the theatre, tour bus, or dining room and do not cover their mouths. We saw so much of this on our recent cruise on SS. (Both of us got sick.) Maybe we will try the masks next time regardless of how foolish it might look.

Those are all great tips and we do most of those ourselves but still seems that at least one of us comes down with something on or after every trip. And, it is always when we sit in front of or around someone who coughs incessantly in the theatre, tour bus, or dining room and do not cover their mouths. We saw so much of this on our recent cruise on SS. (Both of us got sick.) Maybe we will try the masks next time regardless of how foolish it might look.

Another comment on masks, perhaps the cruise line could supply these in strategic locations especially during peak flu season and code reds and encourage passengers prone to coughing and sneezing to use them in the crowded spaces of the theatre or tour buses. Just a thought. Many physician offices, clinics, hospitals provide these upon entering their facilities.

Doesn't sound like much of a vacation. Afraid to touch an elevator button, wiping down surfaces continuously, afraid to touch the chair you are sitting in, unable to put cream in your own coffee and salt & pepper on your food, wearing ridiculous masks, etc. I think ill save my 20k and do something else that isn't so "dangerous".

Edited by wcsdkqh
corrected spelling

Doesn't sound like much of a vacation. Afraid to touch an elevator button, wiping down surfaces continuously, afraid to touch the chair you are sitting in, unable to put cream in your own coffee and salt & pepper on your food, wearing ridiculous masks, etc. I think ill save my 20k and do something else that isn't so "dangerous".

While this board is about cruising, the same is true almost anywhere you go - whether on vacation or not. Do you touch the handle of a grocery cart, pin pads at ATM's/stores that others that may be sick used, read menus in restaurants, use salt and pepper shakers, etc.? Of course - we all do. Cruise ships - whether it is Regent or Carnival have the additional issue that everyone is in an enclosed area - breathing the same filtered air for days at a time. At least illnesses on cruise ships are monitored and are being cleaned constantly. When we are in our home towns or even on vacation (other than on a cruise ship), everyone could be sick and it wouldn't matter -- no one cares and it isn't monitored.

I should have mentioned that I don't wipe down the suite every day -- only when we arrive or if it seems that our steward/stewardess or butler is ill (we haven't had that occur). The elevator buttons become a habit very quickly and there are wipes in the computer room for the computers. The biggest issue is other passengers.

Agree with the poster that thought that having masks available for passengers is a good idea. When you go to Asia, masks are quite common and it may not be a bad idea for them to become more common in other parts of the world.

Yes, Regent providing masks for their guests should be a very good marketing tool. Let's have some pictures of all the masked guests in their brochures and see what the impact will be on bookings. Get real.

Better than having four code red's in a row! Can't get more real than that.

Better than having four code red's in a row! Can't get more real than that.

Yes, and better than missing 4 or 5 days of your cruise confined to your cabin. Let's face it, cruise ships are giant petri dishes of bacteria and viruses. (So are airplanes.) But, those of us who love cruising, think the benefits outweigh the hassle. Using as many precautions as possible, seems very smart.

Will be on mariner in dec.What is a code red that i read about in some threads.thanks in advance for replies.

Greetings from South Beach, espresso68. During Code Red, passenger laundry rooms are usually closed. For those of us who travel light, it is difficult. My travel wardrobe wouldn't survive commercial laundering. IMHO. port intensive cruises are less onerous for passengers. After being out all day on excursions, fatigue takes some of the edge off skeletal entertainment offerings. On a TA, it would be awful.

Mary

Code Red is not the flu. That is a word to blame what it really is "Norovirus". When they start removing items from tables, using paper goods etc. They got a real issue on their hands. As a healthcare professional may I share some information on Norovirus!

Norovirus is not related to flu. Flu is an infection of the respiratory system that causes fever, chills, aches, and pains. In fact, there’s no such thing as stomach flu.* The confusion that it causes can have serious consequences.

Sometimes people don’t want the flu shot because they say they’ve already had a stomach flu.*

People become infected with noroviruses when they eat or drink contaminated foods and beverages. Raw or undercooked oysters and raw fruits and vegetables have been implicated in some outbreaks. You can also get infected if you touch an object or surface that has been infected with the virus and then touch your nose, mouth, or eyes.

What Are the Symptoms of a Norovirus Infection?

If you come down with a norovirus infection, you'll probably go from feeling completely healthy to absolutely miserable within a day or two after being exposed. Typical symptoms include nausea, vomiting (more often in children), watery diarrhea (more often in adults), and stomach cramps.

Other norovirus symptoms include:

Low-grade fever, Chills,* Headache, Muscle aches,Fatigue

Most of these symptoms aren't serious, but diarrhea and vomiting can deplete your body of the fluid it needs, and you can become dehydrated. Children and the elderly are most susceptible to dehydration, as well as malnutrition from not getting enough nutrients.

If you have norovirus symptoms, your doctor can give you a stool test to confirm that you have the illness. However, norovirus diagnosis is usually made based only on symptoms.

Most passengers especially those at higher risk usually have had their flu shots, pneumonia shot, etc. So as it being a influenza virus on a ship one can be exposed and have no symptoms for days and be contagious. That's another story!

How can we prevent and help contain Norovirus.

Good hand washing!

You can do all the wiping of your suite but is every passenger wiping theirs as well. But most important is hand washing. Before, after you go out and during your outing and after and when you return. Hand washing all days as medical professional would do.

Ron

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Hey, Ron: thanks for the info on Norovirus and how to prevent it. I’ve been sick in two different Regent cruises with the same symptoms as above and had to see the ship’s doc for treatment and meds. Believe me, I don’t know if the symptoms or the billing was more hazardous to my health and well being.

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very helpful information Ron...thank you. I couldn't agree more about repeated hand sanitizing.

Also, everyone seems to go crazy over the dry bronchial hacking cough....but you are unlikely to catch any

infection from this....

Just about every cruise we go on my wife gets a cold which turns into bronchitis and lasts from 4 to 10 weeks, I rarely catch anything and if I do it only lasts a few days at most, it’s a real problem but we love cruising maybe I’ll get her a hazmat suit to wear during the cruises LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey, Ron: thanks for the info on Norovirus and how to prevent it. I’ve been sick in two different Regent cruises with the same symptoms as above and had to see the ship’s doc for treatment and meds. Believe me, I don’t know if the symptoms or the billing was more hazardous to my health and well being.

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Were you confined to your suite after the doctor visit?

Goldenrod

Just wondering if a hazmat suit would be the appropriate attire for Regent [emoji16], perhaps you could dress it up with a scarf!

Kidding aside she probably caught the cold on the flight getting to the cruise ship! It's best to sit on the plane as close to the front as possible. Air flow goes front to back!

Ron

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Just about every cruise we go on my wife gets a cold which turns into bronchitis and lasts from 4 to 10 weeks, I rarely catch anything and if I do it only lasts a few days at most, it’s a real problem but we love cruising maybe I’ll get her a hazmat suit to wear during the cruises LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Rumor has it that starting in 2018 hazmat suits and masks will be a new benefit for those booked in suites that are concierge-level and above. :D

Edited by John G
typo