The Most Inclusive Luxury Experience

ronrick1943

Well, just saying!:halo: Oceania Cruises just printed in their brochures " NEW! Exclusive Privileges for Concierge and above

Free Laundry Service - up to Three (3) bags per stateroom per cruise!" Wow, now that's a perk! Since Oceania is a sister company and Regent states it's The Most Inclusive Luxury Experience at Sea--is it only a matter of time. Let's hope so as this is a great perk. IMO, Rick

Well, just saying!:halo: Oceania Cruises just printed in their brochures " NEW! Exclusive Privileges for Concierge and above

Free Laundry Service - up to Three (3) bags per stateroom per cruise!" Wow, now that's a perk! Since Oceania is a sister company and Regent states it's The Most Inclusive Luxury Experience at Sea--is it only a matter of time. Let's hope so as this is a great perk. IMO, Rick

As far as I’m concerned they should have free laundry now I’m Elite with Princess (15 cruises or 150 Days) and we get free laundry all cruise. And the cruise is a fraction of the price of Regent. We are taking a 31 day on Princess this December in a Penthouse Suite its costing 25K. I’m taking a 21 day with Regent in 2018 also in a Penthouse Suite it’s 36k and don’t even get free laundry! Cause we only have 42 days with Regent. All inclusive should be all inclusive!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As far as I’m concerned they should have free laundry now I’m Elite with Princess (15 cruises or 150 Days) and we get free laundry all cruise. And the cruise is a fraction of the price of Regent. We are taking a 31 day on Princess this December in a Penthouse Suite its costing 25K. I’m taking a 21 day with Regent in 2018 also in a Penthouse Suite it’s 36k and don’t even get free laundry! Cause we only have 42 days with Regent. All inclusive should be all inclusive!Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I couldn't agree more, Oceania has a a program for frequent cruises just like most other lines. But is still giving the perk to all concierge and above.........

Hmmmmm, this is a repeat of a previous thread on the exact same subject from the same TS from two months ago. Won't go through all of the reasons why Regent doesn't need to add more perks. If free laundry is your thing (without having it as a benefit for days sailed), sail on Oceania. We have and, while it is fine for some people, it simply is not our cup of tea. Regent's two sister companies are not in competition with each other (nor were they ever intended to be). I'm sure that Oceania passengers are happy as they should be. However, what Oceania does has no impact on Regent (nor do Regent's perks really impact what Oceania does). Separate companies -- separate CEO's and President's under NCLH and their CEO.

Goldenrod - you have "free laundry" on Princess because you earned it (as did some of us on Regent). Expecting this perk just because you sail on the cruise line once, is a bit short sighted.

wishIwerecruisin - when Regent added the one bag of laundry per 7 nights for Gold Seven Seas Society members, the bag shrunk 50%. This didn't bother me because you get what you have earned. Gold and above earn one bag of laundry for every 7 nights and those of us with 200+ nights get unlimited free laundry. And, when we hit 400 nights next month, we'll have included dry cleaning as well.

Earning perks helps to build loyalty to a cruise line. Giving the perks away cheapens the benefit.

Edited by Travelcat2

TC2, it's really not. Oceania was just thinking about it, now they have it as part of the service as a perk. It has nothing to do with Seven Sea Society or the Oceania program. All I'm stating is a fact of what they are doing. Some well like the idea and others won't. Companies need to look a the total picture--if Regent states "THE MOST INCLUSIVE LUXURY EXPERIENCE"---well then it's up to them if they want to be inclusive, they may need to add the perk. They added it to Oceania for a reason, I think the marketing people know what cruisers want and as more lines add this as perk-it could happen only time will tell.

Rick

I definitely do not expect free laundry on a mass market cruise line without earning the perk, and yes I think loyal Regent cruisers like TC2 should get perks not available to short timers like myself who only has 42 days on Regent I just feel on an all inclusive luxury cruise we should not be doing our laundry! Other incentives such as on board credits or free upgraded tours or suite upgrades or whatever, but doing laundry on a luxury cruise is like staying at a five star hotel and having to make your own bed!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Gotta check the size of the bag. I just returned from a Scenic river cruise' date=' for which it advertised one "free" bag of laundry for a 7- day cruise. The bag was the size of a shoe-shine bag.[/quote']

People who travel on Scenic in the larger cabins do get laundry service every day ( of course those rooms are more $$$ so you are really paying for it, although a nice

perk).

People who travel on Scenic in the larger cabins do get laundry service every day ( of course those rooms are more $$$ so you are really paying for it, although a nice

perk).

which is the point alot of people on this thread are trying to make. On Regent you are as you say paying for it as the all inclusive cruise costs $$$ but definitely NOT getting it.

and before the defender of Regent jumps in I am simply saying I understand other peoples viewpoints on this.

Well, since Ronnie and I were quoted above, I guess I can hop in here...

I can see both sides of the argument here - every time Regent adds something that used to be a SSS perk to the base fare, it does 'cheapen' the perception of benefits for the loyalty program.

And as much as I'd like to have "free" laundry, it's never really free, as has been pointed out ad nauseam on many other threads. So even if Regent decided to add "free" laundry, we'd eventually end up paying for it via higher base fares. Then the people who prefer to do their own laundry would gripe that now they don't have a choice, that they're stuck paying for a benefit they don't use.

The you could make the argument that, well, why aren't spa treatments included? Isn't that luxury, too? And why do we have to pay more for some excursions? Shouldn't they ALL be free??

What it boils down to is that whatever you do, you're going to piss someone off. Guaranteed. I'm sure luxury cruise lines have very detailed analyses of the cost/benefit on pretty much everything they do. I kind of agree with TC on this inasmuch as there are different products out there - if another line better fits your needs, then sail with them. How boring would it be if every line had the same amenities, restaurants, destinations, etc...honestly, I'd like to have included laundry but I'm not sure if I'd like to pay whatever the upcharge would be. At least the way it is now, you have the option to send laundry out or do it yourself. Seriously, what do you spend on laundry on a typical 12-14 night cruise? Would you rather pay it directly or have it added to the cruise fare - because if it's "free" you're gonna pay for it one way or another. Me? I'm good having the option. If I ever get beyond Gold and get more perks, well, cool.

Happy Monday, everybody.

Opinions are good and respected. I think it is great when people share their views. And of course the laundry argument can then play into the excision argument for those that don't like included excursions or the included alcohol argument for those you do not drink and subsidize others who do.

It's the polite reference to your perspective and experience that makes the information rich.

This can be done without denigrating others.

Opinions are good and respected. I think it is great when people share their views. And of course the laundry argument can then play into the excision argument for those that don't like included excursions or the included alcohol argument for those you do not drink and subsidize others who do.

It's the polite reference to your perspective and experience that makes the information rich.

Thank you for your outstanding comments.

I couldn't agree more. I see a lot of comments made here that would NEVER be made face-to-face, or at least I hope they wouldn't. Sometimes it's too easy to hide behind the anonymity of the internet.

And Lynn, yes, I was thinking the exact same thing about the excursions and alcohol inclusions - I know there are a lot of people who would be happy to see one or the other go away, but then again if you do that you start losing the 'all-inclusive' aspect. You could make the same argument for BC air - there are a handful of people who would never consider flying economy for a cruise, and another handful of people who would prefer to save the $$ and just book their own economy air. I know there are credits for that, but they never seem to completely cover the costs unless you have miles or points.

I still love the whole "one (big) check but then you're done" aspect of Regent, and it seems that every year the other lines keep adding amenities (and cost) in a never ending game of one-upmanship. As to the laundry issue, what do you pay for two weeks' worth of laundry, a few hundred bucks? So would you rather have a cruise fare of $25,299 and pay extra for laundry or a cruise fare of $25,599 and have laundry included? That's about what it boils down to, really. I think you'll find that there are people on both sides of the argument...because the other choice is to have a base cruise fare and then add air, and excursions, and specialty restaurants, and drink packages and alcohol packages, and...oh, wait, now we're back to the mainstream line pricing model.

I love sailing Regent and their product fits me just fine - but I also realize that there are people who prefer other lines, and that's fine, too. I guess we should be happy that we have the choices we have.

Exactly, Bill. Everyone has different wants and needs and they should be able to say what they like and don't like.

I am actually impartial about the included FILL IN THE BLANK. I do my calculations and determine whether it is worth it to me. If Regent wants to include laundry and I would have spent the same amount of money having it done, great.

What I liked about the idea of Regent when we first booked is not being nicked and dived. It seems that others like that too. Some couldn't care less about the price tag and others are more price sensitive. I am definitely in the price sensitive category and will calculate the value - to me. This may be different than the value to someone else.

And getting others view of how they perceive value it is quite interesting and also gives me other things to think about. Having their ideas shut down or marginalized is unfortunate when so many get something out of their comments!

Well said. It’s the negative labels, sometimes direct and sometimes implied, that are put on other posters that create problems.

Too often opinions are dismissed by put downs such as such as we don’t let the little things bother us.

I would see included laundry as a nice benefit. I have no idea what the extra cost would be.

Rick, your subject implies that Regent may not have the most inclusive experience. I cannot think of another cruise line that includes as much as Regent (specifically International Business Class Air, pre-cruise hotel, transfers, etc.). Maybe I'm missing something. If there is a more inclusive ocean going cruise line, please let us know what it is. For a while I thought it might be Scenic's new ship that will debut next year but it does not include air.

Rick, your subject implies that Regent may not have the most inclusive experience. I cannot think of another cruise line that includes as much as Regent (specifically International Business Class Air, pre-cruise hotel, transfers, etc.). Maybe I'm missing something. If there is a more inclusive ocean going cruise line, please let us know what it is. For a while I thought it might be Scenic's new ship that will debut next year but it does not include air.

TC2

You seem to have an answer for everything, but that is "NOT" what I implied--I said if Regent is The Most Inclusive-this would be a great additional perk. Please read what I state, not what you think I state. You can have the last word has I won't replay to this post again. I really wanted others to comment, not many comment(s) from you or me. Then let Regent read those comments and if they think it's a good idea great-if not that's OK -- Rick

It's very easy to include stuff when you charge for it.

As a newbie (looking forward to our first Regent experience next May) I must say that I believe there is a certain bit of "bait and switch" in the Regent Ads and Brochures. They proudly proclaim "This is cruising as it was meant to be - a sumptuous world where your every wish, your every whim and your every want are met with personalized service, luxurious comfort and complete fulfillment. Anticipate an unforgettable journey to your dream destination, where you don't have to worry about a single thing because everything is included, without exception and without compromise." (emphasis mine) While I am now learning the ropes about the lingo that Regent uses it is still hard for me to get my head around their claim (in bold in all their brochures) that we will get FREE unlimited Shore Excursions only to learn that there are real limits on which shore excursions are FREE and that the FREE roundtrip Business Class Air is actually restricted to over water portions of a trip and there will be legs flown in Economy to connect with those overseas flights.

Hopefully like the rest of you Regent enthusiasts I will learn to accept these limitations on the term unlimited but until then I will be skeptical of just what I will be getting for all the additional costs that sailing with Regent requires.

While we are happy with the onboard Regent product there is no such thing as free. All the advertisements describe this is free and that is free.

No such thing we are paying for these “ advertised freebies”.

I am sure you will enjoy your planned cruise but it’s all about deciding what is important to you and your enjoyment and expectation and how this is met.

The Regent experience onboard for us is worth the money, but I would prefer the advertising was not as overly fond of the word free , as it’s all in the price. Jean.

As a newbie (looking forward to our first Regent experience next May) I must say that I believe there is a certain bit of "bait and switch" in the Regent Ads and Brochures. They proudly proclaim "This is cruising as it was meant to be - a sumptuous world where your every wish, your every whim and your every want are met with personalized service, luxurious comfort and complete fulfillment. Anticipate an unforgettable journey to your dream destination, where you don't have to worry about a single thing because everything is included, without exception and without compromise." (emphasis mine) While I am now learning the ropes about the lingo that Regent uses it is still hard for me to get my head around their claim (in bold in all their brochures) that we will get FREE unlimited Shore Excursions only to learn that there are real limits on which shore excursions are FREE and that the FREE roundtrip Business Class Air is actually restricted to over water portions of a trip and there will be legs flown in Economy to connect with those overseas flights.

Hopefully like the rest of you Regent enthusiasts I will learn to accept these limitations on the term unlimited but until then I will be skeptical of just what I will be getting for all the additional costs that sailing with Regent requires.

Regent and other luxury cruise lines that say they are all-inclusive can be misleading. While luxury cruise lines (thinking specifically of Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea) advertise that they are all-inclusive (and they are to a certain extent), there are quite a few differences in terms of what is included.

IMO, anyone new to cruising - should be certain that they have a TA that is well versed with the cruise line you are booking (i.e. a TA that has not booked Regent before may not be the best choice). Also, do research.

You mentioned "FREE roundtrip Business Class air". This benefit is actually more complicated that you mentioned. For instance, if. you "deviate" your flights (cost $175/person), you can select your flights from the many that Regent contracts with and have the flights booked 270 days in advance of your cruise. A good tip is to use a foreign airline (British Airways, Lufthansa, Cathay Pacific for instance) which generally do not have plane changes in the U.S. and you then get Business Class the entire way. Also, if you use the same domestic airline, under certain conditions, you get First Class domestically and Business Class internationally. And, people outside of the U.S. and Canada generally do not get include Business Class when going from the U.K. to the U.S. Do not want to get this thread off track but did want to respond to your comment.

Getting back to laundry, it is "FREE" (also don't like that word) but you have to do it yourself. There is no charge to use the washing machines or the dryers. If you want Regent to do your laundry, there is a charge. It isn't unlike "FREE" excursions. There are included excursions but if you want a premium excursion, you pay for it. Wine and top shelf alcohols are also "FREE" but, if you want ultra top premium, there is a charge. So, Regent's advertising can be misleading to some, they are not saying anything that is not true in one way or the other. Once you have paid your cruise fare, these items are included -- you just decide whether you want to use the included offerings or pay for another level.

You can cruise for days/months on Regent and not spend one penny. Just take included excursions, do your own laundry and drink alcohol that is included (brands such as Patron Tequila and Grey Goose Vodka are included). Many people do this and are fine with it.

Rick - when I read the subject of the thread and your post, this is how I interpreted it. Just my opinion.

wripro - As always, this is one subject that we always agree on.

Regent’s advertising and some info online is really a lot of flimflam. It isn’t consistent with the image of luxury and I expect it will come back to haunt them. After all does anyone really like dealing with hype and or outright falsehoods?

My view of Regent has certainly changed. I’ve had mostly good experiences onboard, but my overall image of the Regent brand is not very good anymore, especially as I see the exaggeration and hype of advertising brochures and online content.

Nothing is free on Regent including self-service laundry.

We find the idea of included laundry to be intriguing. It certainly would up the image of all inclusive.We all end up paying for benefits that don't interest us and aren't used by us and this would be a service we would use.. I personally have zero interest in doing laundry for myself while on vacation and given the premise that laundry rooms can be a breeding ground for germs and viruses, as witnessed by cruisers who find these venues closed currently on the Mariner, maybe that is one area that would cut down on Cose Reds.

I would like to see Regent simply offer a laundry/dry cleaning package for a reasonable price. While happy to get the perks that come with the SSS, it has little impact on our decision to travel or not...itineraries are the deciding factor most often. Buying a package would take any stress out of this necessary chore and they could continue to offer it for free in their loyalty program.