How to Get the Same Server?

SpockSail

In a post about getting good service in the MDR, TravelCat2 wrote the following:

The secret to loving the service in CR (even when it is crowded) is to find a server and stick to their section. They learn you and your preferences and can make recommendations. We find that our favorite wine is waiting for us. This has little to do with us being long term customers and more to do with letting our server get to know us.

How do you do get the same server on Regent with open dining ?

SS//

Good question. First, it is helpful if you have dinner within 15-20 minutes of when Compass Rose opens to insure you will get the section where your preferred server is. The next logical opening is 8:00 p.m. since most tables would have turned around by then. I would ask the server when they think is the best time to show up. I would guess (but don't know) that you can put your name down for the next available table in your server's section. By dining early, we almost always get the section that we want. There are times when we are dining with others that we are in a different section and the service is still great -- we just look forward to seeing our favorite servers on the nights when we are in CR.

We don't worry about having the same server as we enjoy sitting with people the maitre d' sets up, and that means we don't sit in the same section most nights.

Sometimes the service isn't as good as other times but we have never had "bad" service.

With good company - who cares!! Most nights we don't get to the entertainment as we have been enjoying our new acquaintances. :)

Each of us dines in Compass Rose when and with the method we enjoy most.

We also prefer to let the Maitre'D seat us as Jilly notes you meet a variety of like minded, generally fun folks. Moreover, we prefer meeting different servers, sommeliers each nite, learning more about them and their lives.

Also, we believe letting the Maitre'D seat us enhances his/her management of the table tops within the dining venue, ultimately enhancing the dining experience of guests.

I find using the same bartender to be more important than the server at dinner. Once I find one that makes my drink the way I like it, I search for them! As for sommeliers, I want them to know me also, because once they understand my wine tastes, they will help me decide to order wine or try the wine that they are pouring for free that day.

I find using the same bartender to be more important than the server at dinner. Once I find one that makes my drink the way I like it, I search for them! As for sommeliers, I want them to know me also, because once they understand my wine tastes, they will help me decide to order wine or try the wine that they are pouring for free that day.

I am with you here ;). My husband always wonders why the bar staff and. Sommeliers always remember us as soon as we board. :D Jean.

We simply ask every night to get our favorite server. We always get him/her. Sometimes if they only have a table for four, they give us the table. Never had an issue asking to be seated with our favorite. After a couple of nights the Maitre D remember us and get us a table with server we like.

Well, that was interesting. I was expecting TC2 to reveal the closely held secret kept by the Regent Illuminati to getting grand poobah level service :D but find a wide difference of opinion. That's good. Different people have different tastes and desires. It was helpful hearing what works for them.

This will be our first time on Regent after doing multiple mass market lines and I am sure whatever we find it will be a step above our prior experiences. Fortunately, we have never had a bad experience on those lines, but never really a great one either.

We generally like to be seated at larger tables with different people each time, unless we make friends with a particular couple or group, as we enjoy meeting people from different backgrounds and different parts of the world, unless we are dining in a specialty restaurant when we like to dine by ourselves. This is the 12-day Paradise Awaits Eastern Caribbean cruise on Dec 8 out of Miami, so we should have time to try out the different approaches mentioned here.

From reading other threads it seems that Regent is particularly responsive to their customers' needs and if they are not meeting your expectations, you just need to bring that to their attention. If that doesn't improve the situation, work up the chain of command until it does. This is a vacation and there is no reason not to enjoy it.

Thanks to all who responded.

SS//

If I have to go into the restaurant wishing fifteen minutes of opening in order to get the same server I might as well be sailing on a ship with assigned seating.

Kinda true but, as you can see on this thread, some people prefer not sitting in the same section every night so it works out. We like our server to know our preferences -- they make good suggestions for items that they know we will enjoy and, my DH intensely dislikes bell peppers, so, they let us know if there are peppers in the dish and whether or not it can be served without them.

The same can be said of bartenders. Our little group that will be onboard the Mariner next month enjoy testing our new drinks and appreciate bartenders that can do this (when they aren't busy of course). On our last cruise our friends asked us to find a bartender....... we did and he will be onboard next month. It should be a fun time.

SpockSail - wish there was a secret to getting the same table but that would mean reserving tables which I don't think would go over big. We're happy with things being first come first serve and passengers being treated the same - regardless of their suite category. For the most part, the benefits we receive by being long time customers of Regent are pretty much invisible.