Switching a cruise

snorkle lover

Hello,

Just wondering if anybody knows if it is possible to switch a cruise after a deposit has been paid. We put a deposit on

the Explorer going from Rome to Venice early October ,2018 but now I am wondering if maybe the itinerary Barcelona to Rome late Sept.2018 may have been a better choice. I have already been to four of the ports on the cruise we are booked on and my DH has been to three. However, on the Barcelona trip, we have only been to Rome and Florence which that trip includes . Neither of has ever been to Spain or southern France. I guess that happens when you book so far in advance, lots of time to second guess. Also, this will be our first Regent cruise!

Thanks

What you're doing is basically cancelling one cruise and booking another. Our TA feels that it is better to cancel one cruise - cash it out and then make a deposit on the other (not sure why). There will be a $200 cancellation fee on the invoice where you cancel the cruise and a $200 credit added onto the invoice for your replacement cruise so you aren't losing any money.

OTOH, if you booked the cruise onboard and have onboard booking benefits, you can transfer everything to another cruise (one time only).

Thank you for that information Travelcat. Now that I know it can be done, we just need to decide if we should make the switch??

The one we are booked on goes to Corfu, Montenegro, Dubrovnik, Rijeka in addition to Rome, Florence, Positano , Sicily and Venice.

The other one does Barcelona, Palma De Mallorca,Provence, Antibes, Monte Carlo and Florence, Malta,Sicily, Naples and Rome.

How fortunate we are to have such a tough decision. Looking for some advice!!

Any particular reasons, Travelcat?

I'm just not a huge fan of Barcelona or Palma De Mallorca. Monte Carlo is lovely but I would not select it over the ports on the other itinerary. And, while we have not been to Rijeka, we really enjoy Corfu, Montenegro and Dubrovnik to the ports on the other itinerary. The one port in the second itinerary that we love is Malta. So, IMO, they are both good itineraries, we just have a slight preference of one over the other.

Thank you for that information Travelcat. Now that I know it can be done, we just need to decide if we should make the switch??

The one we are booked on goes to Corfu, Montenegro, Dubrovnik, Rijeka in addition to Rome, Florence, Positano , Sicily and Venice.

The other one does Barcelona, Palma De Mallorca,Provence, Antibes, Monte Carlo and Florence, Malta,Sicily, Naples and Rome.

How fortunate we are to have such a tough decision. Looking for some advice!!

My vote would be for the itinerary that includes Corfu, Montenegro, Dubrovnik and Rijeka.

Any particular reasons, Travelcat?

Well, I'm not Travelcat (although I'm sure she'll respond shortly) but I tend to agree with her. Both itineraries are interesting, and as much as I love visiting new ports there's a lot to be said for revisiting previous ports, especially if there are a lot of things to see in them.

We're huge fans of the Adriatic ports - Kotor is one of the most beautiful sail-ins we've ever done. Dubrovnik is an amazing city as well - so many things to see there. Venice and Sicily are big draws, too.

You're right that either trip would be fantastic...but if it were me I'd stick with the one you're on unless you REALLY want to see some of the other ports and destinations.

Hahahaha! I knew TC would click 'Submit' before I could type up a reply. :D

I kind of agree with her, as you can see. MC is nice and Barcelona is one of our favorite cities (when it's not a political hotbed) but taken as a whole, the one you're currently on would be my choice.

Looking at these both on the website, they're both 10-days on Explorer, so that's a wash. The cruise fare is within a few hundred bucks, so that's a wash, too. They both hit fantastic ports, so really I don't think you can do wrong with either one of them. If you've never been to Spain or Provence, maybe the September trip would be a better one...but all else being equal I'd stay on the current one if it were me.

The good news? You're going to love whichever one you take. :D

I know that it's early so I won't blame you for not noticing that my post was yesterday;p. Agree with you about Kotor - such an amazing sail-in!

Oh, wow! Yeah, it's early but it's not THAT early! No idea how I missed your reply - must have quit scrolling before I got to the bottom. :confused:

Regardless, I still agree with your comments.

I have a rule to not second guess myself. Once I have a cruise booked, I do not change it. I don’t even look at others in the same time period. Saves a lot of stress. Same with airfares. Once I book, it is done. I know a lot of people who obsess over this, but life is too short, IMO.