Trying to decide if we would like a Transatlantic

rcandkc

Our favorite for sure. Have done several. Love sea days, lounging, sleeping, reading, doing nothing at all. Just watching the world pass by interrupted only by fine food, spa, and of course Varsity level Trivia!! By far the best way to travel....East to west, preferable because on top of all of the above, you actually gain an hour every so often in that direction as opposed to losing. Have never ever been bored, always find a good read, a lecture or a game....Highly recommended!

For us, it would depend upon the ship. The Explorer is wonderful for TA's but we would find the Navigator too small - particularly if the weather is inclement and everyone is inside.

We enjoy the twice a day lectures, wine tastings, little games that go on around the ship as well as just being on the ship -- relaxing -- reading -- chatting with others, etc.

IMO, port intensive itineraries are so busy that you don't have any time to enjoy the ship

Agree that going from Europe to Miami is better than the other way around. We've done both and after a few days of turning the clock ahead, it becomes exhausting!

We've done a few and well be on one this November. It's really what you like. For us getting off the ship everyday isn't something we like nor want, so the sea days are great for us. If you don't need to be busy all the time and enjoy relaxing-you'll love it. Even when we do a cruise that stops to many times for us--we just don't get off the ship and since everybody gets off the ship to tour just makes it better. You'll find lots of things to do, read, movies, the gym, the coffee shop, a late lunch, the pool, the spa and just sitting on your deck. Rick

Love crossings, we have done several, also 80 days on the Navigator, one trans Pacific, one round trip LA to the South Pacific and an Amazon trip. There's plenty of things to do even on the small ship. The west to east crossing of the Atlantic has way too many time changes in the wrong direction.

Whether a crossing is right for you depends on what you want in a cruise. If you want laid-back relaxation, it is for you. If you want at least a sampling of the sites and experiences in various parts of the world, it is not for you. I do observe that crossings are less expensive than other cruises (at least on Regent), so this might figure into your decision.

Thank you for responses. Our last cruise had only 1 sea day (I think) and it was exhausting. It also went west to east so that hurt. It was great to see all the ports... Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, but I could have used more "free time". I think I'll keep my eye out for a east to west crossing. We really like all the ships, mariner least.

Please let me insert this comment. Regent has four ships, the Navigator, Mariner, Voyager, and Explorer (from older to newer). The Navigator has vibration problems, especially in the stern.The Voyager at times can have severe "shaking" problems toward the stern. The Explorer's lowest cost "suites"(?) in category H are too small for couples (in my opinion), so an upgrade to Category G is needed. The Mariner is scheduled for a dry dock and major renovation -- probably before your contemplated cruise. The only problem we find with it is that its suites below penthouse level are all the same size and all too small for a couple on a cruise of over seven days. Just our opinion, but this is an opinion board.

Agree with most everyone above... we are fortunate to be able to do several cruises each year so we do long, relaxing cruises as well as port intensive cruises to visit ports we have not been to. Best cruise is Explorer Transatlantic, east to west. Did it last year, doing it again this year. First, we travel for a week in Europe, then take this luxurious cruise home to Miami.

Try it, hope you love it!!

We have been on the Navigator 4 times, Voyager 2 times, Mariner 1 , and Explorer 1 so we are familiar with the ships. We were on the Voyager during a typhoon with 30 foot seas crossing from Australia to New Zealand (that was a ride!). So we are familiar with the ships, just not the thought of crossing Atlantic but thank you for the input about the ships. For a crossing, I think my preference would be Voyager or Explorere but I'm fine with any of them. We know where we prefer our cabin and won't book undesirable locations no matter how good the price.

Thank you.

We have not ever considered a TA but getting intrigued by the possibility of Europe to US. If you have done this, what did you like or dislike about it. We like cruises 11 to 18 days. Thanks.

We are going to South America on the Regent Mariner on 11/17. We have also booked the Mariner on 4-4-18 that goes from Barcelona to Miami. We have done the transatlantic before ( a few times) and love it. We can talk at the meet and mingle. Hope to meet you then.

Carolyn and Mike

Greetings from South Beach, Everyone. We love TAs. and have taken many, preferring West to East because the time changes are so humane. There is always something to do, and we met people we sailed and visited with for years on these extended voyages. Over the years, Barcelona became the port of choice for many lines. and we have grown quite fond of the place as a result. Most recently, in March of this year, we boarded Explorer in Miami, sailing to Barcelona. Great trip.

Mary

Edited by warburg

I must have stated my question poorly...too much as a statement. Does anyone have experience going on the last leg of a world cruise? I'm sure there are many that have not been on for whole world cruise but we have no experience with this. Any insight would be helpful. Looking at TA April 2019 or 2020. Thank you.

I must have stated my question poorly...too much as a statement. Does anyone have experience going on the last leg of a world cruise? I'm sure there are many that have not been on for whole world cruise but we have no experience with this. Any insight would be helpful. Looking at TA April 2019 or 2020. Thank you.

We were on the last leg of a Seabourn world cruise cruise several years ago. I would say less than 25% were world cruisers. Most passengers had boarded on the current or preceding cruise. The nice perk on a WC (at least on Seabourn), is that there are celebrity lecturers. Ted Koppel and Carol Thatcher were on our cruise among others that I cannot recall.

We were on the "last leg" of a world cruise on the Voyager around 2005. As I recall, it was from LA to Miami. But let me explain that this leg was not included in the price of the world cruise, which included only (if "only" is the correct term) the cruise from Miami to LA. However, a good number of world cruisers chose this leg as an "option". I will not go into detail, but fellow guests from the world cruise were not the friendliest we have experienced. But there was a fairly large contingent of members of CC and another board on this last leg, and our association was mostly with them, and they were very friendly.

Cruising the Atlantic Ocean from Europe to the U.S. (or vice versa) on the Navigator? She rides the open ocean like a cork. An excellent idea if you want to lose a lot of weight on your cruise while only periodically leaving your cabin...:o

Cruising the Atlantic Ocean from Europe to the U.S. (or vice versa) on the Navigator? She rides the open ocean like a cork. An excellent idea if you want to lose a lot of weight on your cruise while only periodically leaving your cabin...:o

Which is exactly why I brought up the ships. Even though many of us have sailed all of Regent's ship, IMO, only some are stable enough in rough seas to comfortably do a crossing (the Navigator does not fall into that category).

I do understand about the Navigator. We have been on her 4 times. We have been in 30 foot seas on the Voyager where 2 dining room windows busted and many stayed in their cabins. We enjoyed watching the sea and had no sea sickness. My only problem is I get my "sea legs" and they stay with me after I leave the ship for days. Since land is not moving...I do.

I was on the Navigator for a westbound crossing some years ago, and there was some bouncing here and there, but nothing too awful. It was Africa to South America, however, and the more southern Atlantic is likely gentler than the north. There was the day the ship went dead in the water off the coast of Brazil, but that's another story....

That crossing was a segment on a "grand voyage" (72 nights) rather than a WC, and was not the final segment. As someone who makes an effort to get to know people joining on individual segments, I have to say that I would not want to join a world cruise or grand voyage on its last segment, unless I want alone time with my partner. That final segment is when those who have been on for the long ride are getting ready to say goodbye, and are making extra efforts for one last dinner, one last outing, one last drink with those new friends. Gregariousness pretty much goes out the window at that point. And, yes, a few people who do these cruises can be awfully full of themselves.

All that being said, not all crossings are part of a WC or grand voyage. My travel buddy and I are on the Explorer next month, crossing from Lisbon to Miami, and it's not part of a larger voyage. We had been wanting to try the Explorer but found its fares a little beyond acceptable range, and had not seen itineraries that excited us. Repositioning cruises tend to be less expensive, and this was no exception, so we jumped on it. We did wind up adding on the cruise before it (long story), so will be leaving in less than three weeks to pick her up in Rome. I'm beyond excited!

This will be my first time on a north Atlantic crossing and on any crossing that wasn't part of a larger voyage. I'll report back re how it was.

Then again, I think there's still availability if you can act that fast. The Lisbon to Miami is Nov. 24- Dec. 8.

I was on the Navigator for a westbound crossing some years ago' date=' and there was some bouncing here and there, but nothing too awful. It was Africa to South America, however, and the more southern Atlantic is likely gentler than the north. There was the day the ship went dead in the water off the coast of Brazil, but that's another story....

That crossing was a segment on a "grand voyage" (72 nights) rather than a WC, and was not the final segment. As someone who makes an effort to get to know people joining on individual segments, I have to say that I would not want to join a world cruise or grand voyage on its last segment, unless I want alone time with my partner. That final segment is when those who have been on for the long ride are getting ready to say goodbye, and are making extra efforts for one last dinner, one last outing, one last drink with those new friends. Gregariousness pretty much goes out the window at that point. And, yes, a few people who do these cruises can be awfully full of themselves.

All that being said, not all crossings are part of a WC or grand voyage. My travel buddy and I are on the Explorer next month, crossing from Lisbon to Miami, and it's not part of a larger voyage. We had been wanting to try the Explorer but found its fares a little beyond acceptable range, and had not seen itineraries that excited us. Repositioning cruises tend to be less expensive, and this was no exception, so we jumped on it. We did wind up adding on the cruise before it (long story), so will be leaving in less than three weeks to pick her up in Rome. I'm beyond excited!

This will be my first time on a north Atlantic crossing and on any crossing that wasn't part of a larger voyage. I'll report back re how it was.

Then again, I think there's still availability if you can act that fast. The Lisbon to Miami is Nov. 24- Dec. 8.[/quote']

Thanks but grown kids and little grandkids coming for Thanksgiving. Our house is the gather point. :)

I do think I'll wait for another west to east crossing not part of a much bigger journey.

Thank you everyone for your help while I tried to figure this out.

Personally, I would not go on the last leg of a World Cruise (I'd even question other legs). When Regent was doing WC''s every year, there were many complaints about the WC passengers vs. the segmenters. Regent World cruisers are fairly full and IMO, it having the clique feeling isn't worth it.

Crystal/wishIwerecruisin, hope you and your travel buddy have a terrific b2b experience on the Explorer--look forward to your posts (hopefully if you have time).

We have done a number of Regent crossings (on the Voyager) and a half dozen crossings (both West to East, and East to West) on Silversea--enrichment, cooking classes, wine tastings, meet & mingles, and most importantly fellow guests (while crew members bust their tail to make your crossing memorable) make these voyages very enjoyable (in fact we're booked on a North Atlantic fall crossing next September).

Jackie, we concur with your assessment that on World Cruises (and Grand Voyages) guests migrate and form like minded groups or cliques. In defense, these cruisers are together for months so one could expect they form lasting friendships while on board.

We experienced this

bifurcation of experience/treatment on a 2010 Voyager World cruise segment (HK to Bangkok) and also found the Voyager key leadership gave deference to WCr's vs segmenters.

We also experienced this same clique forming behavior and ship leader deference to the Grand Voyagers on our Silversea Grand Voyage in 2015. For example, the Grand Voyager cruisers referred to themselves as LaLa's (66 day Los Angeles to Las Angeles) cruisers. We were on board for nearly 29 days and referred to as Segmenters.

Alas, on both Regent (WC segment in 2010) and when we were on a Grand Voyage on Silversea (2015) we personally experienced favoritism by the key ship leadership to the WCr's on R and favoritism to the Grand voyagers on SS.

However, Regent's execution of this year's Voyager Grand Voyage (Auckland to HK) was near perfect in terms of equal treatment for Regent cruisers that booked a segment vs the entire GV.

Personally, I would not go on the last leg of a World Cruise (I'd even question other legs). When Regent was doing WC''s every year, there were many complaints about the WC passengers vs. the segmenters. Regent World cruisers are fairly full and IMO, it having the clique feeling isn't worth it.

...Jackie, we concur with your assessment that on World Cruises (and Grand Voyages) guests migrate and form like minded groups or cliques. In defense, these cruisers are together for months so one could expect they form lasting friendships while on board.

We experienced this bifurcation of experience/treatment on a 2010 Voyager World cruise segment (HK to Bangkok) and also found the Voyager key leadership gave deference to WCr's vs segmenters.

We also experienced this same clique forming behavior and ship leader deference to the Grand Voyagers on our Silversea Grand Voyage in 2015. For example, the Grand Voyager cruisers referred to themselves as LaLa's (66 day Los Angeles to Las Angeles) cruisers. We were on board for nearly 29 days and referred to as Segmenters.

Alas, on both Regent (WC segment in 2010) and when we were on a Grand Voyage on Silversea (2015) we personally experienced favoritism by the key ship leadership to the WCr's on R and favoritism to the Grand voyagers on SS.

However, Regent's execution of this year's Voyager Grand Voyage (Auckland to HK) was near perfect in terms of equal treatment for Regent cruisers that booked a segment vs the entire GV.

Jackie, Wes - I can see the cliques forming, especially on a WC. I like to think that if I'm ever in a position to do a WC I'd be equally accommodating to all passengers regardless of whether they were full WC or on a portion thereof...but never having been in that situation, I can't say how easy that would be.

Wes - I was wondering if you could expand on the manifestation of the favoritism or preferential treatment displayed by the crew. As I said, I've never done any cruises longer than about 14 days and they've all been port-intensive (no TAs) so I haven't had a chance to observe the crew's interaction with the passengers on a longer basis. What exactly happens to 'full-length cruisers' vs. 'segmenters'? I'd assume that some additional familiarity would be expected just due to the longer time together, but are there other 'slights' or differences in treatment or interaction? I'm really curious.

Thanks!