Harvest Caye excursions to Belize proper?

etoile

I'm looking at the shore excursions on the NCL site for Harvest Caye, and seeing a bunch that seem to go to Belize proper. The Mayan ruins at Nim Li Punit, Garifuna Cultural Museum, etc. The list also includes cabanas, the ropes course, etc. It's the Belize excursions that interest me, though, and yet I didn't think excursions like that happen on a private island - I've been to Labadee but that's it.

Does anyone know if these excursions are usually offered? Our schedule says we'll be at Harvest Caye from 8am to 7pm, so there's plenty of time...I just didn't think they were possible!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I did exactly this on my last cruise earlier this year, and recommend doing it.

Earlier this year, on the Norwegian Dawn, March 2017, our ship docked at Harvest Cay, and I took the excursion to Mayan Ruins of Nim Li Punit and Spice Farm. You can read my review about it posted under NCL Dawn reviews for March 2017. This was one of the best tours I have taken, and I highly recommend that!

Here's how it all works. The Norwegian ship docks at Harvest Cay, and folks walk off the vessel along a long covered boardwalk onto the island. In the back left corner of the island, there is a small boat dock marina, for those going on tours to the mainland. There is also a shaded waiting area. Folks then load up onto ferry boats at their assigned tour times, and reach the mainland dock about half an hour later, near the town of Independence, Belize. From there, they are loaded onto buses, which take them on their tours. This is how you get to see the real Belize. Yes, these tours are regularly offered through NCL. About one quarter to one third of the Harvest Cay tours go to the mainland, and most such tours allow an hour or two to browse around Harvest Cay too. I'll be happy to tell you more.

Harvest Cay is a nice destination, but an artificial tourist trap, custom made for cruise guests. To me, it all resembles a theme park or amusement park. It has everything one thinks of in a tropical island resort: beaches, snorkeling, cabanas, buffet lunch, several bars, palm trees, boats, water sports, and such. There's also a small nature park, and a light-house with zip lines, and a small village of brightly colored souvenir shops selling local made crafts. Most of it is included in the cruise fare. Any additional charges can be paid with your room key account, so you can easily loose track of how much money you have spent.

My next cruise is on the Norwegian Getaway, March 2018, which will stop at the same ports. For Harvest Cay, I am most interested in the Mayan shaman tour. I forget what it is called, but some kind of "Mayan Cultural Medicine Trail." It looks interesting, because it's a walk through the jungle with a traditional Mayan medicinal healer, who teaches us then shows us how to make traditional medicine remedies from the native plants. I just love scientific and cultural education wherever I go. This tour is on the mainland, but leaves from Harvest Cay.

• 4 weeks later...

I couldn't get off of Harvest fast enough. Overcrowded and overpriced. Run straight to the ferry dock. $25 gouge per head--but worth it. 3 mi ride. At Placencia walk down 1/8 mile to Cozy Cove, Twisted Tuna or Barefoot bar. Absolutely fab! Ferries back every 1/2 hr. We stayed till 3 pm.

I’d like to try getting off harvest caye and maybe an hour there when back from excursion but think that’s only really an option for ships there 8-5pm. Don’t see much choice but to hang there when in port 7-1pm.

Is all aboard 12:30 on these short visits? I think it could be tough for teens not to oversleep the whole port day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums