Edge Cancellations

cltnccruisers

Understand, but it’s fun for many of us to sign onto something new. I haven’t cruised the Carribean for a long while but with the Edge, it’s worth the chance, and for many of us, it’s not right at the start of Edge itineraries. There will be 20 cruises before we go on. Heck, one of the cruises prior to ours was closed (cancelled reservations) because it was booked for some group cruise. that can happen on most Lines and most ships.

The Edge is a chance to cruise on our preferred LIne and experience a whole new environment. For me, the mix of the new and hopefully the continuation of what we enjoy about Celebrity could be a great experience. We’ll see....and post! But of cruise there will be a few posts prior to ours in March.

Den

Link?

There was a story on Cruise Critics under Research -> News when I posted. Not there now.

It was about 2 November preview cruises being cancelled in addition to December cancellations.. The X corporate response was wanting to get everything perfect.

There was a story on Cruise Critics under Research -> News when I posted. Not there now.

It was about 2 November preview cruises being cancelled in addition to December cancellations.. The X corporate response was wanting to get everything perfect.

Gotcha.

yeah...I try to never book in the first month of new or after a dry dock. I figure Presidents' Week I'll be safe.

Other milestone cruises to avoid: 1st cruise before a drydock [work often starts, reducing public areas and making noise and dust], 1st and 2nd cruise after a drydock [can run late, cancelling cruise; work can continue during cruise]. But is it really necessary to wait 2 years for a new ship to get the bugs out? Maybe with a brand-new cruise line. But hard to accept even for a brand-new cruise class on an established line like Celebrity. One year at most. [And I'm hoping that it will be hitting on all cylinders by Jan. 20, 2019 since this will be my first brand-new ship experience]

I took the whole ‘wait for a shakdown’ very seriously. The first passenger cruise of Edge is 11/21/18 and I picked a cruise 4 months and 19 cruises after and cruise on 3/24/19....sound good??

OK: In truth, we already had plans set for Nov/Dec; teach classes on travel and wine tasting (just an excuse to drink wine with nice people!) in Jan-Feb-Mar which meant the cruise in late March was the earliest I could make it.

It’s hard to be truthful instead of looking like I actually had a plan! I’d love to be going early.....kind of like being a Plank Owner.

Heck, in 1997, our first Celebrity cruise was on the Mercury for a Thanksgiving family cruise. That ship entered service 27 Oct 1997, so we were aboard less than a month after, and it was Great!

But we were on the Reflection on its first TransAtlantic and she had engine issues and the Canary Island call was canceled to give more flexibility to remain on time arriving in Miami.

Den

Edited by Denny01

Other milestone cruises to avoid: 1st cruise before a drydock [work often starts, reducing public areas and making noise and dust], 1st and 2nd cruise after a drydock [can run late, cancelling cruise; work can continue during cruise]. But is it really necessary to wait 2 years for a new ship to get the bugs out? Maybe with a brand-new cruise line. But hard to accept even for a brand-new cruise class on an established line like Celebrity. One year at most. [And I'm hoping that it will be hitting on all cylinders by Jan. 20, 2019 since this will be my first brand-new ship experience]

I didn't say anything about waiting 2 years but I could see how you could get that impression from v2.0. :)

Edited by cltnccruisers

I took the whole ‘wait for a shakdown’ very seriously. The first passenger cruise of Edge is 11/21/18 and I picked a cruise 4 months and 19 cruises after and cruise on 3/24/19....sound good??

OK: In truth, we already had plans set for Nov/Dec; teach classes on travel and wine tasting (just an excuse to drink wine with nice people!) in Jan-Feb-Mar which meant the cruise in late March was the earliest I could make it.

It’s hard to be truthful instead of looking like I actually had a plan! I’d love to be going early.....kind of like being a Plank Owner.

Heck, in 1997, our first Celebrity cruise was on the Mercury for a Thanksgiving family cruise. That ship entered service 27 Oct 1997, so we were aboard less than a month after, and it was Great!

But we were on the Reflection on its first TransAtlantic and she had engine issues and the Canary Island call was canceled to give more flexibility to remain on time arriving in Miami.

Den

We were on Reflection's second cruise which departed Barcelona and ended in Venice. We had no noticeable issues with the ship during that cruise. But, subsequent cruises had propulsion issues and several had cancelled ports. I believe yours was two cruises after ours. I don't know how long it took to iron out these issues.

We are hoping Jan 2019 will be a good choice.

Prices were already high for AQ class and we would probably not find those prices again if we had to re-book at that level....

Fingers crossed that all goes well with the launch cruises...

Den

You were lucky you didn't pick one week earlier, as the 3/17/2019 cruise was cancelled for a charter.

We were on Reflection's second cruise which departed Barcelona and ended in Venice. We had no noticeable issues with the ship during that cruise. But, subsequent cruises had propulsion issues and several had cancelled ports. I believe yours was two cruises after ours. I don't know how long it took to iron out these issues.

Things went a bit south after the Barcelona to Venice Cruise. We boarded Reflection in Venice and cruised to Barcelona. Ship started having propulsion issues then We were late into Malta - our private tour guide modified our tour and all worked out. And got into Barcelona a bit late. they flew some engineers in who joined us.

The TransAtlantic went OK, but to ensure they got to Miami in time for the big events for Her, we lost the Canarys. We enjoyed the cruise and will make the Canary Islands sometime. An excuse for another cruise!

The Captain kept us fully informed with what was going on. My wife was nervous with crossing the Atlantic with ‘issues’, but the Capt was clear that the problem was fixed but we’d need the cushion of canceling the port for flexibility.

I just told my wife to drink more and she wouldn’t care.... she didn’t think that was funny. I fell down laughing at myself.

For this thread, the Capt kept us informed of what was going on and that helped a good deal.

Den

Hey Den, my wife and I were on that same transatlantic on the Reflection - and we have been booked on the March 24th Edge cruise since last April. Small world...we were lucky not to have booked the previous week on Edge. Here's hoping for the perfect glitch-free cruise! But we'll roll with whatever happens...

I have also learned that the first cruise embarkation leaving from a US Port after a foreign sailing like a trans-Atlantic will likely be delayed due to CBP inspections of the ship, and having to clear all of the crew again. We waited in the Florida heat several hours in line one time for Reflection to to be cleared by CPB after a trans-Atlantic.

It is interesting that there is a bell curve for people who "jump onboard" for new things (sometimes labeled innovators, early adopters, early majority, late majority, laggards). I tend to be an early adopter or early majority-type person and have taken cruises on new ships in the first few months, but never the first cruise. I have never been burned by this - we still get the new ship smell and it is pretty safe since a lot of the bugs have been worked out. I have patted myself on the back for not being on the first cruise and having to deal with new ship issues.

For some reason for the Edge, I really want to be on the first cruise (I guess I have Edge fever :D) and am willing to go through the turmoil of having my first 2 preview cruises canceled and switched to the new 2 first cruises. It is just a bump in the road for me and I have my back up plan if those cruises are canceled. I am going in with eyes wide open that this may not be the best cruise relaxation-wise (my usual reason to cruise the Carib) because of new ship and staff, but to me it is an adventure. The fun for me will be to explore the ship and its new venues and experience all the surprises that are bound to happen. I realize there will be glitches and that these cruises won't be true representations of the subsequent 7 night cruises, but hopefully the adventure of it all will make it an amazing experience. :D

I think (hope) if I was younger I'd have the same sense of adventure. I actually did once upon a time. But now, I want to get on a ship and just relax. Maybe do nothing but float around. Edge looks like a really interesting ship - but in 2019 or 2020 for us. Please do a review, though. They are large parts of our cruise decisions.

I think (hope) if I was younger I'd have the same sense of adventure. I actually did once upon a time. But now, I want to get on a ship and just relax. Maybe do nothing but float around. Edge looks like a really interesting ship - but in 2019 or 2020 for us. Please do a review, though. They are large parts of our cruise decisions.

Since I have WiFi in my package for 2/17, I am planning to do a "semi-live" review. Meaning I'll post at least once each evening (or worst-case morning) when I'm back in my cabin. It may be without pictures, but those would follow. (I'm not the greatest at posting pictures on here even on land, much less dealing with shippernet.) If I'm around my cabin at other times and things feel right, I'll post then. But I'm not spending my whole cruise connected. LOL. I will do the semi-live thing though.

Since I have WiFi in my package for 2/17, I am planning to do a "semi-live" review. Meaning I'll post at least once each evening (or worst-case morning) when I'm back in my cabin. It may be without pictures, but those would follow. (I'm not the greatest at posting pictures on here even on land, much less dealing with shippernet.) If I'm around my cabin at other times and things feel right, I'll post then. But I'm not spending my whole cruise connected. LOL. I will do the semi-live thing though.

Edge is so anticipated that I'm sure there will be many reviews - and we'll snap them all up. :D

I'm probably older than you (just crazier)! ;)

Fingers crossed that all goes well with the launch cruises...

I certainly hope the launch of the Edge goes smoothly for everybody! I'm sure many of you saw or heard what happened with the roll-out of The Ocean Medallion on Princess... Anything but smooth!

I certainly hope the launch of the Edge goes smoothly for everybody! I'm sure many of you saw or heard what happened with the roll-out of The Ocean Medallion on Princess... Anything but smooth!

I have my doubts about the new technology piece working well initially on the Edge (I wonder why? ;)). I will have my iphone to try all the cool new technology, but will also have a sea pass as a backup, if the new systems fail. That first cruise could be interesting....

It is interesting that there is a bell curve for people who "jump onboard" for new things (sometimes labeled innovators, early adopters, early majority, late majority, laggards). I tend to be an early adopter or early majority-type person and have taken cruises on new ships in the first few months, but never the first cruise. I have never been burned by this - we still get the new ship smell and it is pretty safe since a lot of the bugs have been worked out. I have patted myself on the back for not being on the first cruise and having to deal with new ship issues.

For some reason for the Edge, I really want to be on the first cruise (I guess I have Edge fever :D) and am willing to go through the turmoil of having my first 2 preview cruises canceled and switched to the new 2 first cruises. It is just a bump in the road for me and I have my back up plan if those cruises are canceled. I am going in with eyes wide open that this may not be the best cruise relaxation-wise (my usual reason to cruise the Carib) because of new ship and staff, but to me it is an adventure. The fun for me will be to explore the ship and its new venues and experience all the surprises that are bound to happen. I realize there will be glitches and that these cruises won't be true representations of the subsequent 7 night cruises, but hopefully the adventure of it all will make it an amazing experience. :D

In general I am in agreement and I enjoy the excitement of a new-in-class type cruise ship. But I am waiting just a little bit and not doing a preview cruise. Once Edge has worked out the initial kinks which are sure to happen then I look forward to joining you on the Jan 20 sailing. Hopefully those on the first few sailings will look past the initial bumps and inexperience of the crew and post balanced comments here. When the new Norwegian Bliss first sailed some posters on these boards were just brutal. I like your attitude- you don't expect everything to be just perfect the first few cruises and are going in for the big picture. It will be interesting to see your initial feedback.

In general I am in agreement and I enjoy the excitement of a new-in-class type cruise ship. But I am waiting just a little bit and not doing a preview cruise. Once Edge has worked out the initial kinks which are sure to happen then I look forward to joining you on the Jan 20 sailing. Hopefully those on the first few sailings will look past the initial bumps and inexperience of the crew and post balanced comments here. When the new Norwegian Bliss first sailed some posters on these boards were just brutal. I like your attitude- you don't expect everything to be just perfect the first few cruises and are going in for the big picture. It will be interesting to see your initial feedback.

One of my biggest concerns for going on the first two cruises is about how the staff may be treated on these first cruises by naïve cruisers with high expectations. If anything dampens my experience, that may be it. Luckily, I find that people are generally kind to the staff on Celebrity.

I feel like we will all be learning about this new ship together and will hopefully be able to laugh about the glitches together. We will probably be overcompensating with fewer requests, more positive comment cards sent to GS and bigger tips. :D

On Jan 20th I am looking forward to a lovely, relaxing cruise with a staff that is more experienced with the ship.