100 day medallion question

kangforpres

You're correct for sure and I was wrong to rain on this parade.

Ruth

Thank you for your apology. It is welcome.

My DH is no longer with me but my Platinum Medallion is a physical reminder of hundreds of happy days we shared on the ships . Just looking at that Meddallion trigggers wonderful thoughts for me. There surely are others here like me that may 'get it'. t To rain on my happy mem ories seems so small. What is the harm in those medallions or reason to diminish the pleasure some of us get from them for whaever our reason?

HAL was my first cruise in 1982. After several cruises in the 1980's I took a break until 4 years ago, I know it is just a piece of metal with no cash value but to me it is a lot of great memories of HAL then and HAL now.

I won't fall into a deep depression if there is no "ceremony" however I am looking forward to the recognition and thanks for being a loyal customer for so long.

To me our silver medallion and beyond means that we spent an entire YEAR on HAL ships. A whole year with no thought of daily cooking or cleaning, just traveling and getting taken care of by some of the most wonderful people it has been our pleasure to meet. Thank you HAL.

Yes we paid for this pleasure, but never once have we felt we did not get more than our money's worth in return. Now getting in striking distance to that coveted gold medallion. Loyalty to HAL has been well earned relationship.

And yes, those medallions hang uselessly on our travel map wall but agree with 7Seas, what memories they generate. Including our own moment of pride when we join others enjoying the award ceremonies.

Just a note: I agree with Sail and OlsSalt entirely. Great posts.

When we received our medallions, there was always a reception, either in the Explorers Lounge or the show lounge for larger groups. Always photos, always medallions awarded in person, always gracious, always a treat. We've been invited to every one of these receptions in between being medallion awardees.

We are glad we received all our medallions the "old" way and won't have to go through this "yes, no, maybe, guess what will happen" routine that appears to be in effect.

In reading this thread, I see that there have been many changes in how the individual ships handle the whole process. Another gracious HAL feature biting the dust? HAL's decision, for sure, or that of the Captain, but such a shame.

Just a note: I agree with Sail and OlsSalt entirely. Great posts.

When we received our medallions, there was always a reception, either in the Explorers Lounge or the show lounge for larger groups. Always photos, always medallions awarded in person, always gracious, always a treat. We've been invited to every one of these receptions in between being medallion awardees.

We are glad we received all our medallions the "old" way and won't have to go through this "yes, no, maybe, guess what will happen" routine that appears to be in effect.

In reading this thread, I see that there have been many changes in how the individual ships handle the whole process. Another gracious HAL feature biting the dust? HAL's decision, for sure, or that of the Captain, but such a shame.

It must be a ship/captain/HD decision?

Reason I say that is that there were the standard mariner awards on our Rotterdam sailing. Two in fact - one on each segment ;)

They were well done and very nice.

It is still a benefit.

Sometimes we get a card with our Mariner magazine to mail in. Sometimes not.

But, no need to call. Go to the HAL website and..

Just log in to your account on the HAL website and on the left hand side (below benefits) click on "magazine subscription". You can then choose.

Super! I will do that today! Thank you Jacqui for pointing me in a better direction.

And I agree with the others that the medallions do represent many, many happy memories. :) m--

It's interesting to see that others have been lost in the counting, and that it's not just us, although I can't say I'm "glad" for that either. Poor form for HAL to not be able to count and deliver what they say they will.

Another example of this is that I recently noticed that a listed perk of turning 4 star is to receive a subscription to a magazine, either Travel & Leisure or Food and Wine. I guess I need to call HAL and request ours, unless the HAL website list of perks is out of date on that as well as it's current listing of the Mariners Embarkation Lunch, which has been open to all for quite a while now, over a year if I'm not mistaken. m--

Log onto your HAL account and go to Mariner Benefits there should be a link to claim you magazine subscriptions, I didn't know this either until I discovered it one day just by chance.

-Paul

You're correct for sure and I was wrong to rain on this parade.

Ruth

It wasn't my intention to make you apolgize.

I was just expressing my opinion, just as you are entitled to:D

If you chose to go, enjoy. And if you don't, just let them know so they don't call your name out.

Our Captain was quite good at giving excuses for those that weren't there unexpectedly last time ;)

As was our previous Captain.

A great time and something to do on a sea day ;)

I will chime in with the others that the medallions are indeed a nice recognition. We just received our 100 day medallions two days ago, on the Zuiderdam. I knew we'd be making 4* on this cruise (yipee!), but I had forgotten about the medallions for actual days sailed.

Our reception was held in the Queen's Lounge. The captain and hotel director presented the medallions as the cruise director called out the recipient's names. Everyone was most appreciative.

I will chime in with the others that the medallions are indeed a nice recognition. We just received our 100 day medallions two days ago, on the Zuiderdam. I knew we'd be making 4* on this cruise (yipee!), but I had forgotten about the medallions for actual days sailed.

Our reception was held in the Queen's Lounge. The captain and hotel director presented the medallions as the cruise director called out the recipient's names. Everyone was most appreciative.

Very nice, that's the way it should be. Congratulations and happy cruising. m--

This is good to hear. The way it used to be always, the way it is sometimes now. Congratulations on your 100 days and your 4 star status (enjoy the free laundry, etc!)

It is still a benefit.

Sometimes we get a card with our Mariner magazine to mail in. Sometimes not.

But, no need to call. Go to the HAL website and..

Just log in to your account on the HAL website and on the left hand side (below benefits) click on "magazine subscription". You can then choose.

Well I tried twice today! It won't let me select a magazine so it dies... I'll try again or call them, but I have to laugh!! Sometimes it feels like nothing works.... but it will! Thanks for the encouragement! m--

I will be hitting 100 actual nights on our September 12 night Oosterdam cruise. Do I need to mention to Concierge? Will we both be invited to reception If only one is receiving medallion?

I would mention it and ask the Concierge. My husband was invited to come when it was only me that got the medallion. Then we all went to the luncheon.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums