Vancouver to Seattle by bus questions. Need Help!

loug1601

Hi everyone,

We are sailing Radiance of the Seas, sailing from Seward to Vancouver. We disembark in Vancouver on 6/29/18. We are 4 seniors with no mobility issues.

We will be taking a bus from Vancouver to Seattle. We are just not interested in renting a car. Our hotel in Seattle, Embassy Suites Pioneer Square, will be directly across the street from Amtrak King Street Station in Seattle. Price is less important than convenience.

What time should we look at for boarding the bus. Our cruise arrives in Vancouver at 7:00 am.

There seems to be 3 options:

1. Amtrak bus

2. Bolt Bus

3. Quick Shuttle

Can anyone make a recommendation? I am totally at a loss on which one would work best.

Please, please help me :)

Hi everyone,

We are sailing Radiance of the Seas, sailing from Seward to Vancouver. We disembark in Vancouver on 6/29/18. We are 4 seniors with no mobility issues.

We will be taking a bus from Vancouver to Seattle. We are just not interested in renting a car. Our hotel in Seattle, Embassy Suites Pioneer Square, will be directly across the street from Amtrak King Street Station in Seattle. Price is less important than convenience.

What time should we look at for boarding the bus. Our cruise arrives in Vancouver at 7:00 am.

There seems to be 3 options:

1. Amtrak bus

2. Bolt Bus

3. Quick Shuttle

Can anyone make a recommendation? I am totally at a loss on which one would work best.

Please, please help me :)

Go with Quick Shuttle. They run directly from the pier to Seattle. The other will require a short taxi ride to the Pacific Station. Have you considered taking the evening train to Seattle from Vancoyver.

The Quick Shuttle bus will pick you up at the cruise terminal but its Seattle stop is at the other end of the downtown core from the train station, probably a $10 - $15 cab ride.

Both the Amtrak and Bolt buses will leave from (or next to) Pacific Central Station in Vancouver, requiring cab or other transport from the cruise terminal to the train station. In Seattle, Bolt Bus stops at 5th and Deaborn, around a three block walk (level) from the Embassy Suites. The Amtrak bus stops at King Street Station, basically across the street from the hotel.

Pick 'em.

Bolt. There's absolutely no question that it's the best quality of the three in terms of ride, as well as the cheapest! Newest fleet of buses, all with free WiFi, and fewer seats = more legroom.

QuickShuttle only has one win condition - convenience, and that does not apply here as you still need a cab ride on the Seattle end. Amtrak buses are even more overpriced than QuickShuttle, and contain even older and worse condition buses (I've had some truly shameful bus seats on Amtrak whenever we've had to be bussed around a train issue - torn seat covers, stuffing literally missing in big chunks leaving a hole in the middle of the seat). The shorter walk is not worth it (their buses cost over twice what Saver tickets on the train do!)

You missed the best option though - the evening train. With generous Senior discounts this can actually be cheaper than Bolt with a little luck, it is hands-down the most pleasant border-crossing experience you can have (occurs in Vancouver at the station before boarding), and the ride is more enticing than I5 as it's nearer the water and the evening will be about as long as it gets, sunset after 9pm, so you'll have daylight for all of the good scenery. Plus you have adequate food onboard, a decent selection of booze, and can stretch your legs while moving. And a bonus day in Vancouver sightseeing isn't exactly traumatic either!

Bolt. There's absolutely no question that it's the best quality of the three in terms of ride, as well as the cheapest! Newest fleet of buses, all with free WiFi, and fewer seats = more legroom.

QuickShuttle only has one win condition - convenience, and that does not apply here as you still need a cab ride on the Seattle end. Amtrak buses are even more overpriced than QuickShuttle, and contain even older and worse condition buses (I've had some truly shameful bus seats on Amtrak whenever we've had to be bussed around a train issue - torn seat covers, stuffing literally missing in big chunks leaving a hole in the middle of the seat). The shorter walk is not worth it (their buses cost over twice what Saver tickets on the train do!)

You missed the best option though - the evening train. With generous Senior discounts this can actually be cheaper than Bolt with a little luck, it is hands-down the most pleasant border-crossing experience you can have (occurs in Vancouver at the station before boarding), and the ride is more enticing than I5 as it's nearer the water and the evening will be about as long as it gets, sunset after 9pm, so you'll have daylight for all of the good scenery. Plus you have adequate food onboard, a decent selection of booze, and can stretch your legs while moving. And a bonus day in Vancouver sightseeing isn't exactly traumatic either!

Ditto this idea - the train. We have done this and the Quick Shuttle and there is not comparison (train wins hands down). Only negative may be the times of departure. If you do this, look into Business Class.

Well I thank you all for the most helpful replies!

I think we have settled on the Bolt Bus being our best bet, but have a question concerning the luggage allowance.

Their website states that one piece of luggage can be checked for under the bus storage, and one small carry on such as a backpack or a purse can be carried on board the bus. We will have an additional piece of luggage, a carry on by airline standards.

Will they allow us to carry on an additional piece of luggage? This could be a game changer...

Would LOVE to take the train, but it just gets into Seattle too late for us.

Well I thank you all for the most helpful replies!

I think we have settled on the Bolt Bus being our best bet, but have a question concerning the luggage allowance.

Their website states that one piece of luggage can be checked for under the bus storage, and one small carry on such as a backpack or a purse can be carried on board the bus. We will have an additional piece of luggage, a carry on by airline standards.

Will they allow us to carry on an additional piece of luggage? This could be a game changer...

Would LOVE to take the train, but it just gets into Seattle too late for us.

Just to clarify - you have a big suitcase, a small suitcase, AND another backpack each? Bolt allow two carry-ons (check their terms & conditions) and will even overlook a small 'personal' item like a purse (as long as it fits under the seat rather than having to go up-top you should have no worries).

Your problem is if the small suitcase is normal 'max airline carry-on' size (~21") - if so then it simply won't fit on the bus 'above seats' storage rack so cannot go as a bus carry-on, but must be checked - Bolt do enforce only one piece of checked luggage per person, and have no facility for an extra bag charge (instead, they have no limits on size for checked items - even take bikes etc. - and the carry-on bag size restriction is simply 'must fit the overhead shelf'. We have small carry-on suitcases for exactly this sort of circumstance - also handy for floatplanes, commuter props that don't handle big bags onboard - which are both 16" rollers. They fit just fine - you could probably manage an 18" roller up top and just squeeze it in, or a longer/thinner format bag like a duffel. The crux is that the bags MUST go completely onto the shelf, behind the flexible bungee cord so that they stay up there if the bus makes a sudden swerve - bags falling on people's heads would be a safety hazard...

If your small cases are too big, Bolt is not for you - you might get a sloppy driver who doesn't notice you slipping an extra bag in but no guarantees, and if you are spotted and refuse to take you... how else will you travel!? I wouldn't risk it myself.

You could consider Greyhound - older buses, longer route, but more generous bag allowance of 2 checked - $15 charge for the second one. They're our second choice of bus for when the train sched doesn't work for us and Bolt is already booked up - still nicer than QuickShuttle buses usually, and MUCH nicer than Amtrak, but that extra 30-60mins to go via Coquitlam does get annoying!

Hi all,

Just an update...

We went with the Amtrak Bus. They allow 2 checked bags per passenger, where Bolt only allows one. That was the deal breaker for us. I will try to remember to come back to this thread and update with our experience.

Thanks again!

Hi all,

Just an update...

We went with the Amtrak Bus. They allow 2 checked bags per passenger, where Bolt only allows one. That was the deal breaker for us. I will try to remember to come back to this thread and update with our experience.

Thanks again!

yes please do, we are tossing around our travel plans from Vancouver to Seattle in the fall. :D

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I am back with my take on the Amtrak Thruway Bus...

We took a cab from the cruise terminal to the Amtrak train terminal. We were the only ship in port, so no crouds. It was $15.00 for a van. It easily fit the 4 of us and 8 pieces of luggage. It was a 10 minute trip. The bus company called Cantrail was contracted by Amtrak. The bus was spotless and roomy. The driver, Derrick from Canada, was wonderful. We arrived 45 minutes late due to very heavy traffic. I would recommend. Great trip!

We are now on the Amtrak Coast Starlight train to San Francisco for a 5 night trip...in a sleeper car. Super fun!!!

Bye!

• 4 weeks later...

We love the Amtrak train!

We had to wait following the cruise departure for the later train but we were happy to have the freedom on the train and the view too. Went for a coffee etc. to the food Car when we wanted and had very comfy seats. It is easy at the US/CDN Border for the Officers to check your passport. You stay in your seat as they come by.

We did Senior business class, first on and off. Booked again for another cruise in the Fall.