Cabana Mama

Cabana Mama

Would like some feedback. Always take travel insurance. Needed to cut short a trip this winter due to health issues. Filed a claim within days of returning. Rapidly approaching 7 weeks and still waiting for resolution to claim. Is this normal?

I have had to file two claims. One was the result of requiring emergency surgery 2 1/2 weeks before a scheduled cruise. The second one was because my husband became ill and we had to disembark early and fly home.

On our first claim it took over 3 months to receive reimbursement...almost identical to my recovery. It required endless telephone calls and multiple submissions of paperwork.

The second time we chose a different trip insurance company after the hassle we went through in the past. We are again coming up on 3 months and we are awaiting our final check. It has required many many emails, phone calls and explanations to get to this point. And of course resubmission of forms and supporting documentation.

The trip insurance was purchased from two different online companies and based on my experience it looks like we will be trying yet a different online agency as well as a different insurance company in the future.

The one common factor in both cases was the claim processing company. The claims processing company was not identified upfront and is not the same as the insurance company itself. Next time I will be sure to inquire as I have read since then that this company is known for slow processing and, it appears, is reluctant to make payment.

Couple of things

The instructions should give you an idea of time frames. If not, give them a call. Maybe someone is missing some information.

Always better to communicate via email. That way there is a paper trail re communications.

If all else fails, check the web site or call you State Insurance Commission. They monitor and regulate how insurance companies operate in your State. Some States require cases be resolved in XX number of days.

Would like some feedback. Always take travel insurance. Needed to cut short a trip this winter due to health issues. Filed a claim within days of returning. Rapidly approaching 7 weeks and still waiting for resolution to claim. Is this normal?

What are they telling you?

Do they need more information or is it just "pending"?

Are you certain that they received the claim?

GC