Dress Code

gkgk123ca

I don't wear jeans any more because they're not particularly flattering to my (somewhat) matronly, almost 70 year-old figure. But I'm tempted to buy some just for my upcoming Seabourn cruise!

I'm loving this discussion

I'm a 70-something who wardrobe is full of jeans of various level of style

I'm loving this discussion

I'm a 70-something who wardrobe is full of jeans of various level of style

Used to wear jeans all the time, but gradually migrated to cords in cool weather, and capris in warm. Since I winter in Florida, I spend 90% of my time in capris or shorts. But this is a cool weather cruise (Gulf of St. Lawrence, Newfoundland), so cords it will be I guess, although I'll definitely have my capris in case of an Indian summer. I also try never to wear shoes, although in practice I have to for a few weeks a year.

I like this conversation As a 1st timer on Seabourn I was not aware of the formal dress code. Do like Formal Nights just harder to pack for.

There is denim and there is Denim !!

Seaborn's website says denim is allowed in all venues before 6:00pm. So now worries everyone. In a cool climate cruise I will pack jeans for daytime wear to keep warm. I think maybe we have some people making a fuss over nothing. My husband now takes a suit or sports coat for formal nights, he says a tux is so much more to pack, even extra shoes. Lets cruise and have fun!

My opinion too. If you like jeans, and the weather is suitable, then wear them - I do, even though fairly ancient (that is me, not the jeans, but I do have longish legs and a not too huge behind, which helps). ) I just remember to change at 6 p.m. into something a bit more elegant! And DH no longer packs the tux/dj and black shoes etc., which saves a lot on luggage.

It is actually all of minimal significance, having read about the so sad recent happenings on Quest, of course.

What happened on the Quest? I must have missed that!

I don't wear jeans except out at our farm, but I certainly did when I was younger. I have NO issue with others wearing jeans during the day on a cruise--not a problem at all.

• 2 months later...

(At the risk of re-opening a dormant monster... ;p)

Was searching this thread for info re polo shirts as acceptable for 'collared dress shirts' on casual nights (apparently OK) and found myself wondering if there is such a thing as a non-collared dress shirt. How would use a tie with such a thing? Can it even be a dress shirt if it won't accommodate a tie? Why am I spending time pondering such things? Etc.

Anyway, on topic, IMHO in 2018 quality resort wear that would be acceptable in the evenings at the main dining room of a 5-star resort hotel should be acceptable evening casual wear. IMO a luxury cruise is a floating version of a top-level resort.

My husband and I are casual people and this was a big concern to us. He has a long pony tail so we tend to dress up to compensate. :) We dressed up every night but saw all kinds of fashion options including a few t-shirts.

You will get responses that say absolutely no to polo shirts, but we saw them. If you wear one you will likely get looks though, so if that's a concern to you think about it.

You will get responses that say absolutely no to polo shirts, but we saw them. If you wear one you will likely get looks though, so if that's a concern to you think about it.

If being dressed well enough for say a Four Seasons resort evening isn't good enough for some people, that's their problem. I'll sleep just fine.

Why is it that lately some new people seem to have joined this board and all they want to discuss is what they are wearing. I understand people wanting clarity, but if they are then going to get defensive and say they will wear what they want........well why ask? Most of us are interested in other things, not what you are going to wear.

Can we please have some more varied interesting discussion on the ships or itineraries?

Julie

Can we please have some more varied interesting discussion on the ships or itineraries?

Probably not in a thread called "Dress Code".

It's an important topic for some, that's why it's discussed ad nauseum. [i've just booked my first Seabourn cruise, I want to make sure I know what to expect - that includes what the dress code is AND how the dress code is interpreted on board....Not always the same things]

It's super easy to avoid threads that are as clearly titled as this, though:D.

Why is it that lately some new people seem to have joined this board and all they want to discuss is what they are wearing. I understand people wanting clarity, but if they are then going to get defensive and say they will wear what they want........well why ask? Most of us are interested in other things, not what you are going to wear.

Julie

Welp, this is obviously directed at me (I'm new and my post @910 was 1st in this thread since Feb). The passive voice slander is pretty much wrong on all counts.

For the record, I did not ask, rather I searched the thread for an answer, which I believe is appropriate (and usually appreciated) board etiquette. The purpose of my post @910 was to make a lighthearted, ironical comment on the nature of "collared dress shirts" and a general comment on appropriate dress (the latter applies also to my reply @912). Both were non-defensive and perfectly appropriate to the thread topic. I fail to see what sin I've committed.

If you want "some more varied interesting discussion on the ships or itineraries" there are any number of threads on this board to choose from. This thread is the (pinned!) "Dress Code" thread. If this topic is not of interest to you, look elsewhere.

I don't have a problem with the posts in this thread or any other thread. The only time I take issue is when a poster is criticizes someone else needlessly and in an sarcastic or ugly manner. . Yes, post away about collared polo shirts. It's really ok--and some people really want this information.

Welp, this is obviously directed at me (I'm new and my post @910 was 1st in this thread since Feb). The passive voice slander is pretty much wrong on all counts.

For the record, I did not ask, rather I searched the thread for an answer, which I believe is appropriate (and usually appreciated) board etiquette. The purpose of my post @910 was to make a lighthearted, ironical comment on the nature of "collared dress shirts" and a general comment on appropriate dress (the latter applies also to my reply @912). Both were non-defensive and perfectly appropriate to the thread topic. I fail to see what sin I've committed.

If you want "some more varied interesting discussion on the ships or itineraries" there are any number of threads on this board to choose from. This thread is the (pinned!) "Dress Code" thread. If this topic is not of interest to you, look elsewhere.

I was responding to your comment in 912 which stated ........

If being dressed well enough for say a Four Seasons resort evening isn't good enough for some people, that's their problem. I'll sleep just fine.

which was in response to lynn-in-NC gave you some of her thoughts from her experience having sailed on Seabourn. Hence my comment about why if you have already made up your mind why ask the question. I wasn't trying to be passive at all.

Your right though, from now on I will do what a lot of other Seabourn cruisers do and ignore this thread.

Julie

Hence my comment about why if you have already made up your mind why ask the question. I wasn't trying to be passive at all.

But again, I didn't ask. I searched the thread and found that polo's are acceptable* -- which I noted in my @910 post.

And I'm sorry Julie, but respectfully this...

"Why is it that lately some new people seem to have joined this board and all they want to discuss is what they are wearing."

...which in indirect voice ("some new people") condescendingly impugns my character and my motivation for joining CC is what I found, frankly, snotty/snooty offensive. All I did was express an opinion about dress codes in the designated "Dress Code" thread.

* FYI to readers looking for this info, there are posts in this thread that say Seabourn reps confirmed the dress code should read "collared shirts," not collared dress shirts.

Robison,

First of all I believe what Julie(Frantic) was saying is that it seems many new to Seabourn people act as if they are looking for clarification as to the Dress Code when actually what they are really saying is one version or another of “it is my vacation and I’ll dress however I want.”. You don’t enter a mosque starting out by asking “even if my shoes are really clean and brand new are you sure I can’t keep them on” and end by saying “the heck with it I’m on vacation and if I’m more comfortable with my shoes on then I am going to keep them on.”

And as to the incorrect information you just posted, it does in deed say “collared dress shirt” in the Dress Code. If you doubt this I will be happy to post a photo of the page from my Travel Planner for my upcoming August cruise where it states exactly that. I would never believe anything purported to have been said by a Seabourn rep on the phone. Please stop reposting information you have not verified.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Robison,

First of all I believe what Julie(Frantic) was saying is that it seems many new to Seabourn people act as if they are looking for clarification as to the Dress Code when actually what they are really saying is one version or another of “it is my vacation and I’ll dress however I want.”. You don’t enter a mosque starting out by asking “even if my shoes are really clean and brand new are you sure I can’t keep them on” and end by saying “the heck with it I’m on vacation and if I’m more comfortable with my shoes on then I am going to keep them on.”

And as to the incorrect information you just posted, it does in deed say “collared dress shirt” in the Dress Code. If you doubt this I will be happy to post a photo of the page from my Travel Planner for my upcoming August cruise where it states exactly that. I would never believe anything purported to have been said by a Seabourn rep on the phone. Please stop reposting information you have not verified.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Chairsin,

I suggest you take it up with Moderator Host Dan, who stated in answer to member chewbaka's inquiry (post 660):

"A jacket over a polo, or an aloha shirt is appropriate. A polo itself would be fine on a casual night."

Or maybe take it up with yourself, since you followed up in the very next post! (@661):

"The dress code actually read "collared " shirt so you should be fine."

Or with chewbaba, who followed up two posts later (@663):

"I called Seabourn and they said that this information is incorrect and it should have said "collared shirt"."

~~~

To be clear - I searched to find this information before booking my cruise because I want to be appropriate - or not go where my comfort level won't be welcomed.

IMO a new member should be able to rely on the word of the Seabourn board moderator and express opinions in appropriate threads without being condescended to and wrongly lectured. I hope this is not indicative of the people I'll meet on my first Seabourn cruise. If so, it will also be my last.

I happen to agree with the poster above. The condescension on this board has been something to behold. Get ahold of yourselves people and think before you type. No need to criticize others or make assumptions about their motives. I can understand taking the word of Seabourn or a moderator. And, after all, this is not an earthshaking matter.

I was fortunate to be a first time Seabourn cruiser this year. My husband wore a very nice sports jacket and long sleeved shirt sans tie for the two formal nights. I wore a simple cocktail dress. We dined with friends we had met on board who were beautifully dressed in formal attire. The evening was delightful. Please enjoy your cruise and don’t worry about the negative Nellies on CC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I remember a chap who attended a formal night in what looked like white silk pyjamas. He was a knight and a celebrity, so no one batted an eye.

The point is to wear clothes of good quality that fit well.

I remember a chap who attended a formal night in what looked like white silk pyjamas. He was a knight and a celebrity, so no one batted an eye.

The point is to wear clothes of good quality that fit well.

So are you saying if the guy was not a knight and a celebrity you'd be ok with someone wearing pajamas on formal night?

I happen to agree with the poster above. The condescension on this board has been something to behold. Get ahold of yourselves people and think before you type. No need to criticize others or make assumptions about their motives. I can understand taking the word of Seabourn or a moderator. And, after all, this is not an earthshaking matter.

I will say I found this thread disconcerting. We leave in two weeks on our first Seabourn cruise and I am hoping the attitude of most travelers is more tolerant. We are leaving the tux and dark suit at home and bringing slacks, and a jacket (dark blazer) as stated as appropriate on formal night on Seabourn’s website. If we are judged as inappropriate, it will be our last cruise with Seabourn.