Which EWR Marriott property for 1 night precruise? Advice wanted for Liberty Park?

barb in ga

We just booked Anthem departing 5/17. We will fly from Atlanta on the 16th(time not set yet), and want to

spend a little time checking out a boat ride near Liberty Island and SOL. We don't need to go into the SOL, but would enjoy a harbor ride.

We have a free night to use at a Marriott up to level 5, which would include Springhill Suites Airport, Fairfield Inn Airport, Courtyard Airport, Courtyard Newark Dtn, or Courtyard Elizabeth.

The Courtyards don't include breakfast, Springhill and Fairfield do. Any thoughts and advice for me? We are 2 older middle age fairly frequent travelers.

I've learned we can use a shuttle from airport to hotel, and would probably Uber to the port . Suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Barb

We just booked Anthem departing 5/17. We will fly from Atlanta on the 16th(time not set yet), and want to

spend a little time checking out a boat ride near Liberty Island and SOL. We don't need to go into the SOL, but would enjoy a harbor ride.

We have a free night to use at a Marriott up to level 5, which would include Springhill Suites Airport, Fairfield Inn Airport, Courtyard Airport, Courtyard Newark Dtn, or Courtyard Elizabeth.

The Courtyards don't include breakfast, Springhill and Fairfield do. Any thoughts and advice for me? We are 2 older middle age fairly frequent travelers.

I've learned we can use a shuttle from airport to hotel, and would probably Uber to the port . Suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Barb

If you were just going to hang out at EWR, I would say Courtyard Elizabeth because it is close to Jersey Gardens Mall. Courtyard Newark Airport, Fairfield Inn and Springhill Suites share the same more isolated location north of the airport. Only the three Courtyards have a restaurant. Springhill Suites and Fairfield Inn offer free breakfast, but no other restaurant food services. Your would have to walk over to Courtyard Newark Airport or order food delivery. Courtyard Newark downtown is in a highly urban area that is often offputting to folks not used to this kind of area. In addition their airport shuttle runs only once an hour.

Having said all that, the big question is how taking a boat ride near the SOL might affect your hotel choice. The Staten Island Ferry will give you that and it is free. There are also other paid Harbor boat tours. To get any of these options you have to get yourselves into lower Manhattan. So if you plan to arrive, get to the hotel and check in, and go into Manhattan for a boat ride and dinner, you would want to look at the Fairfield and Springhill Suites with their free breakfast.

Once you collect your luggage at EWR, you have to take it up escalators or the elevator to the Airtrain station and ride to the P4 station, which is the connection point for the hotel shuttles.

If you pick the hotels on the North side of the airport, you are closer to both Cape Liberty and Newark Penn Station. A basic Uber price from these hotels to Newark Penn Station is showing at about $10. The plan would be to take Uber to Newark Penn station and PATH to World Trade Center for $2.75/pp. This will be a lot faster(and probably cheaper) than taking the hotel shuttle back to the P4 station, Airtrain to the Newark Airport Station, and NJ Transit train one stop to Newark Penn Station to connect with PATH. This trip would cost $11.25/pp each way, so $45 round trip for 2 people.

Once at World Trade Center you would get yourselves to your boat departure area. The Staten Island Ferry is about a 15-20 minute walk or 2 stops on the R or W subway. Other points of interest are Trinity Church, Wall Street, 911 Memorial and Museum, Freedom Tower, and Bowing Green and Battery parks. If you're really into boat rides, there is a MTA ferry that goes on the East River from Pier 11 at the end of Wall St for $2.75/ride (I think perhaps double for round trip?) https://www.ferry.nyc/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Map.pdf

Carol--thanks for the input. So we could go from airplane to the P4 area to get the shuttle to Fairfield or Springhill, leave luggage, then take Uber to Newark Penn Station, then Path to WTC. Do I have it right?

Coming back would be reverse?

Am I right about Uber to the Port from the hotel?

Thanks for your detailed help,

Barb

Carol--thanks for the input. So we could go from airplane to the P4 area to get the shuttle to Fairfield or Springhill, leave luggage, then take Uber to Newark Penn Station, then Path to WTC. Do I have it right?

Coming back would be reverse?

Am I right about Uber to the Port from the hotel?

Thanks for your detailed help,

Barb

Uber to the port is fine. Do you have any thoughts about what you will do for your harbor cruise?

EWR arrival area to free Airtrain to P4 for the airport shuttle.

PATH route from Newark Penn Station

https://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

Over the years, we've visited Manhattan many times. Once we took the Circle cruise shortly after 9/11; that was such a moving experience, I wouldn't mind doing that again to see the Freedom Tower.

We have also taken the architectural highlights tour(I think from the west side, going all around Manhattan) I've never visited SOL, Liberty Island or Ellis Island. Any of the above sound interesting.

Thanks for the help--I've used Cruise Critic for years, and I appreciate the time and patience it takes to help so many, especially answering the same questions so often.

Barb

Over the years, we've visited Manhattan many times. Once we took the Circle cruise shortly after 9/11; that was such a moving experience, I wouldn't mind doing that again to see the Freedom Tower.

We have also taken the architectural highlights tour(I think from the west side, going all around Manhattan) I've never visited SOL, Liberty Island or Ellis Island. Any of the above sound interesting.

Thanks for the help--I've used Cruise Critic for years, and I appreciate the time and patience it takes to help so many, especially answering the same questions so often.

Barb

Barb - glad to hear that you already have New York experience. Understanding your logistical choices will make it easier. The Circle Line tours leave from midtown Manhattan, so you would need to take NJ Transit to NY Penn Station. There are other boat tours that leave from lower Manhattan - I saw one that goes as late as 5 pm. Others have a last tour at 2:30 pm. You also might want to research this ferry route - http://www.nywaterway.com/PortLiberte-BMBRoute.aspx The last Statue Cruise that stops at Liberty and Ellis Island is 3:30 p.m.

Liberty State Park in Jersey City also has ferry service to/from Ellis and Liberty Islands, if you choose not to travel into NYC. On your date the last ferry back to Liberty State Park is 5 pm from Liberty Island and 5 15 pm from Ellis Island.

https://www.statuecruises.com/departure-schedule#/

Yes but there's no easy way to get there on public transit. It's about a mile from the Liberty State Park light rail station to the SOLferry. The route via the light rail and liberty landing ferry can be time consuming and more expensive. I'd consider Uber from Exchange Place to Liberty State Park. If you take the ferry from NJ you can return to Manhattan to continue sightseeing.

Yes but there's no easy way to get there on public transit. It's about a mile from the Liberty State Park light rail station to the SOLferry. The route via the light rail and liberty landing ferry can be time consuming and more expensive. I'd consider Uber from Exchange Place to Liberty State Park. If you take the ferry from NJ you can return to Manhattan to continue sightseeing.

Completely agree with you as I have never used public transport to Liberty State Park.

With services like Uber and Lyft, the limited public transit options can be more easily overcome.