Galveston hotels... what's your latest experience?

Gulf Coast Departures

Galveston, Gulfport,Houston, Mobile & New Orleans
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:47 AM.
Dallas, TX
444 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Whew! The prices are high and the reviews are bad. Looking for Friday, October 19 and sailing out Saturday the 20th. I've stayed at Holiday Inn Seawall and the Hilton. I have also stayed in Pasadena the night before the cruise. The Comfort Inn is $217 with tax.

What has been your latest choice of hotel?

I thought of Red Roof, Beachcomber, Inn at Waterpark, etc but the reviews are bad.

I'm looking at the following:

Marriott's Towneplace Suites Galveston
$178 with tax

Days Inn Galveston
$133 with tax

Fairfield Inn (in Pasadena) -- we stayed here last cruise.. about 45 mins away
$133 with tax
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

My first cruise: Carnival Celebration out of Galveston, won it in a raffle. 5 days, 10/6/2003

Carnival Ecstasy, 5/25/2006, 4 days, Galveston

Royal Caribbean Majesty Of The Seas, 3/2/2007, 3 days, Miami
south central pennsylvania
1,784 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
We stayed 1 night at the Days Inn on Seawall Blvd in Galveston on 4/7/18. Nothing great for sure but it met the needs for a one night stay. Room was great and the breakfast was good. The only downside was the location which is way out on 87th street. We did walk down the 81st where we could catch the trolley which took us into town. I would stay there again. We took a uber to ship morning of.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
April 2018 Liberty of the Seas 7 nights Western Caribbean from Galveston
April 2016 Adventure of the Seas 7 nights Southern Caribbean from San Juan
December 2014 Oasis of the Seas 7 nights Eastern Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale
October 2009 Freedom of the Seas 7 nights Western Caribbean from Port Canaveral
November 2007 Jewel of the Seas 6 nights Western Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale
February 2006 Adventure of the seas 7 nights Southern from San Juan
April 2003 Voyager of the Seas 7 nights Western from Miami
May 2000 Monarch of the Seas 7 nights Southern from San Juan
Dallas, Texas
523 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Doubletree Hobby Airport. Not the greatest neighborhood, but the hotel had a restaurant and a bar and was less than an hour from port. Rooms to be had at about $120. (This year doing an Air BnB in Galveston for less than $200)

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Texas Gulf Coast
3,009 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
Originally posted by jeffdal
$133 with tax
That intersection and the one just north have exploded with new growth in businesses and hotels and three more are under construction. The commute down to Galveston from there is unhindered at posted speeds and above.

There is an Olive Garden, Johnny Tamalies, Bullritos, Popeyes, Napoli Italian, Little Tokyo, Jimmy Changas, Cheddars and five brand new ones at Vista and Beltway 8. Plus, the Academy is literally across the street in case you forgot something.

If I didn't live less than 15 min from there I'd stay at one of those hotels in heartbeat.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Mardi Gras1976 - Magic, Liberty, Triumph and Freedom in 2016, thirty-three others in between aboard the Celebration, Ecstasy, Elation, Conquest, Imagination, Glory, Splendour, Rhapsody, Freedom, Majesty and Navigator of the Seas sailing to Canada and the Caribbean.
One hand on the starboard rail...
Texas Gulf Coast
3,009 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
Originally posted by Pops, Esq.
Doubletree Hobby Airport. Not the greatest neighborhood, but the hotel had a restaurant and a bar and was less than an hour from port. Rooms to be had at about $120. (This year doing an Air BnB in Galveston for less than $200)
So many choices closer to the port just south of the Beltway. The hotel you mention has a serious problem with vehicle break ins and theft. Google the crime rate for that zip code. It's horrendous.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Mardi Gras1976 - Magic, Liberty, Triumph and Freedom in 2016, thirty-three others in between aboard the Celebration, Ecstasy, Elation, Conquest, Imagination, Glory, Splendour, Rhapsody, Freedom, Majesty and Navigator of the Seas sailing to Canada and the Caribbean.
Nebraska
195 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
You might consider checking the availability at the Lost Bayou Bed & Breakfast. We stayed there 3 years ago and are staying again in August. Great property and they offer free parking to cruise guests for the week of the cruise at the secured lot by the train museum. They have great reviews on TripAdvisor and the owner, Dave, is awesome. They have a nice full breakfast in the morning and also have a room with snacks and drinks available 24/7. You have to book with them directly.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Breeze, August 5, 2018
RCCL Navigator of the Seas, April 2015
Carnival Elation, December 2003
Carnival Imagination, November 9, 1996
Viking Serenade, April 1994
Dallas, Texas
523 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Following up on previous post. The Air B&B we are staying in this time around is Schaefer Haus in Post Office Street in Galveston. Very near the port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Allen, TX
154 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Whew! The prices are high and the reviews are bad. Looking for Friday, October 19 and sailing out Saturday the 20th. I've stayed at Holiday Inn Seawall and the Hilton. I have also stayed in Pasadena the night before the cruise. The Comfort Inn is $217 with tax.

I thought of Red Roof, Beachcomber, Inn at Waterpark, etc but the reviews are bad.

$178 with tax

Days Inn Galveston
$133 with tax

$133 with tax
I would recommend Moody Gardens for $164

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Humble, Texas
296 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
Inn at the Waterpark isn't that bad. I've stayed there before when visiting Schlitterbahn which is right next door. They have a cruise ship package. The parking is covered and request to have a room in the *newer* building. They have putt-putt on site, no additional fee.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Ecstasy, May 2013
Carnival Triumph, April 2014
14 Posts
Joined Mar 2018
Check AirBnB. Lots of choices priced better than the hotels/motels. We picked up a beautiful BnB called Schafer Haus, they have a website, for half the price of Motel 6. Might have been due to Memorial Day weekend.
Hudson Valley, NY
2,639 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
We just got back from Galveston, we stayed at Springhill Suites on Broadway with Marriott points. Clean hotel, decent room, OK breakfast, (hotel was fully booked so dining area was crowded and they ran out of a lot of food) but NOTHING is within walking distance.

Uber is easy to use (download the app if you don't already have it). We took an Uber to the Galveston pier, cost $8. Uber to the port was $16 because of traffic.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Miracle...7/3/05
RCI Explorer of the Seas...7/17/08
RCI Liberty of the Seas...11/22/09
Carnival Glory...8/14/10
RCI Oasis of the Seas...7/2/11
RCI Adventure of the Seas...5/3/15
RCI Liberty of the Seas...4/22/18
Camden, Arkansas
1,781 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
We stayed at Days Inn for our last 2 cruises. It is nice and the rate was great because we booked as soon as we could. As someone else said, there is not much in the area but we had a car so we could go wherever we wanted.

Considering the rate at other places it was wonderful. Hope you find something you like at a decent rate.

Have a wonderful cruise!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
CAROL

UPCOMING CRUISES:

Had 2 cruises canceled:

Enchantment of the Seas - Nov. 7, 2018 to Panama
Enchantment of the Seas - April 19, 2019

PREVIOUS CRUISES:

Carnival Breeze 4/15/2018
Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas 4/2/17 - First Suite
Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas 4/17/16
Norwegian Jewel 4/4/15 (Had to cancel)
Navigator of the Seas 4/27/14

Crown Princess 4/6/2013
Carnival Magic 5/13/2012
Norwegian Spirit 5/8/2011
Carnival Triumph 4/3/2010
Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas 4/20/08
Royal Caribbean Splendor of the Seas 4/15/06
Carnival Conquest 4/18/04
Carnival Jubilee 3/22/03
Long Island,NY
3,813 Posts
Joined Mar 2011

$178 with tax

Days Inn Galveston
$133 with tax

$133 with tax
I highly recommend the Kemah Boardwalk Inn in Kemah ,a short distancefrom Galveston.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lenny
Texas Gulf Coast
3,009 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
Originally posted by lenquixote66
I highly recommend the Kemah Boardwalk Inn in Kemah ,a short distancefrom Galveston.
It's a 45 min ride from there to here in Galveston, and the rates are listed for summer at $200 an up. The don't have dining facilities either.

Kemah is a madhouse in the summer, and while a fun place to visit, it's crowded. Getting closer to Galveston makes sense, with several new hotels being built or refurbished after Harvey, it's a competitive market.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Long Island,NY
3,813 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by BallFour4
It's a 45 min ride from there to here in Galveston, and the rates are listed for summer at $200 an up. The don't have dining facilities either.

Kemah is a madhouse in the summer, and while a fun place to visit, it's crowded. Getting closer to Galveston makes sense, with several new hotels being built or refurbished after Harvey, it's a competitive market.

I have stayed at the Kemah Boardwalk twice but never in the summer .
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lenny