Excursions sevilla

jumelle

Now that Windstar no longer sails up the river to Sevilla and docks in Cadiz it is difficult to get to Sevilla. I have found a great private company Spain Day Tours that offers a day trip to Sevilla but needs a 10 person minimum. They charge $69/person whereas Windstar charges $179/person. I have posted on Roll Call but have gotten no response. The sailing is in May and I would think most people have booked by now? Any other way to reach fellow cruisers? I guess Windstar cruisers don't use cruise critic much.

• 3 weeks later...

What a shame that they don't sail into Saville. I was on Star Legend in April. We sailed up the river and docked very close to the center of town. Tourist office was across the street. Free info and wifi. Walked about 5 minutes to the Alcahzar. Bought our tickets and audio guide. Strolled through at our own pace. Also went to the palace and cathedral. Columbus's tomb is worth seeing. I loved Saville.

I used SpainDayTours in Barcelona . Great tour with Laura. Enjoy!

We're on the reverse itinerary (Lisbon-Barcelona) on May 5, and no one has started a roll call for our cruise. This is our first trip on Windstar, and I've come to the same conclusion - that Windstar cruisers don't use cruise critic very much! I'm used to joining excursions using the cruise critic boards, and have noticed how quiet the Windstar board and roll call are compared to other lines. Obviously the ships are much smaller than other lines, and even though I'm looking forward to trying a new line, it's a little strange for me since I'm so used to using cruise critic to learn about various ships and lines!

We booked our Windstar cruise in December but only now am I starting to look at excursions. And I am completely new to Cruise Critic. We are sailing on May 13. As a family of 4, we are still exploring our options and are open to anything outside the Windstar excursions.

It is a shame that Windstar can no longer dock in Sevilla. We were on this cruise last May and did one of Windstar's excursions there. It was OK, but we spent more time and had fun on our own when it was finished. Spain Day Tours is a good option; we hired them for a private tour to the Alhambra from Almeria. We only had 6 people in our group and agreed to pay more to have only the 6 of us. The cost still was about the same or a little less than the Windstar tour and we felt well worth it.

Does anyone have any info as to why Seville has been dropped? We were really looking forward to doing a cruise which included Seville, so are hoping that It's loss may only be a temporary one. Surely a major reason for sailing small ships is to be able to experience ports that larger ships cannot navigate. Windstar itineraries don't seem to make the most of this adnantage, imo..

I believe they no longer sail into Sevilla because it was dependent on the tides and often had to be cancelled. So this way no one expects it and complains. What I did notice is that the majority of excursions offered on this itinerary are private tours with a car and driver starting at $1000 person! Don’t get me wrong I do love Windstar but their excursions or lack of is a problem. I will most likely sign up for their excursion to Sevilla as we don’t want to miss seeing this beautiful city. Or maybe I will be able to round up 8 more people on board for Spain Day.

I believe they no longer sail into Sevilla because it was dependent on the tides and often had to be cancelled. So this way no one expects it and complains. What I did notice is that the majority of excursions offered on this itinerary are private tours with a car and driver starting at $1000 person! Don’t get me wrong I do love Windstar but their excursions or lack of is a problem. I will most likely sign up for their excursion to Sevilla as we don’t want to miss seeing this beautiful city. Or maybe I will be able to round up 8 more people on board for Spain Day.

I don't know if it had to be cancelled, but the channel up to Sevillia has been silting up for a long time. On the way in you pass by a bunch of defunct shipping facilities because the river can't handle the ships any more. The big shipping uses the ports on the ocean now and the channel isn't being dredged.

We were on the same cruise last April as RedTravel. The ship had to back up part of the way (I guess it didn't have enough room to turn around in the channel). The captain said that it was getting pretty difficult to get into the port and he didn't feel they could keep using it.

Docking right in town was wonderful, but I'm not surprised that they aren't anymore after what the captain said.

The private car or van tours are priced per vehicle, not per person. Still pretty expensive but not $1000 per person unless you only have one person. They include a driver and a guide so the car only holds 2. The vans aren't much more and hold up to 6 and if you have 3 or more would be more economical.

The Windstar Seville excursion if I'm reading it correctly doesn't include going into the Alcázar. If that's the case, I think it would be best to either arrange something on your own to go to Seville (even possibly a rental car) or enjoy seeing Cadiz instead.

• 3 weeks later...

I am on this cruise in May, and still haven't figured out what to do about Seville. We dock in Cadiz, and really would like to go to Seville since I don't know if I'll have the opportunity again in the future. The Windstar excursion does not include the Alcazar, and Spain Day Tours has told me they're fully booked. Our only option at this point seems to be to take the train to Seville since the private car offered by Windstar is way more money than I'm willing to spend!

Spain Day Tours is not fully booked. If we can get 10 people they will do the tour. Unfortunately not many people on this cruise use cruise critic. I am still holding out hope. We will probably sign up for the Windstar excursion just in case. We are in Cadiz until 10pm so there is plenty of time. The train is an option we would consider as well.

I have a post on roll call where there is a link to spain day tours. You should be able to sign up for their tour.

You must see the Alcazar. I liked it more than the Alhambra.

Redtravel, I completely agree. The Alhambra is beautiful but I don't understand why the Alcazar doesn't get more publicity as it is stunning and unmissable- and Seville to me, anyway has much more to see and do.

I'm on the May 5 cruise, so we're not on the same date. I finally booked a Seville tour from Cadiz through Viator. Viator is not normally my preferred option since they're a consolidator, but since Spain Day Tours is booked, I couldn't find a better alternative other than taking the train.