Holiday Inn Old Sydney or Marriott Harbor?

dickinson

We will be spending a week after our cruise in Sydney and several months ago made reservations for both Holiday Inn Old Sydney and Marriott Harbor. The cost is within about $40 US. Trying to decide which one to keep for my reservation. Is one location better than the other? Which one has more restaurants nearby? I like the idea that I can go up to the pool and take pictures of the harbor (Holiday Inn). Does the Marriott have anything like that?

Thanks for any help narrowing down which one to keep!

Tough call because they seem to be rated more or less the same and each area is appealing for different reasons. The Rocks is a lovely area to be in and it says there’s that rooftop pool from which there’s the view. If it’s a full view then you’ve got it all, the bridge, the harbour, the city...add in sunsets and cocktails and it’s sort of perfect BUT.....

I really like the absolutely central location of the Marriott because you can get to the ferries, all of the buses/trains to go wherever, to the Rocks (is the Holiday Inn rooftop open only to guests?) easy easy walking to the Opera House, Botanical Gardens (ambitious!) and city strolling.

I tend to look at amenities, what do I need, then what do I want, what are the bonuses also, with either of these are you using or getting points?

They are both very well located but I suppose the final, final cut might come down to time management and your Sydney plans: where are you going, what are you doing so does it matter your starting point? If it does then stay at the Harbour for the easiest/quickest morning start. If you don’t mind an extra few minutes of time (only a little!) for a quaint, charming area with that rooftop pool, well then, there you are. And keep in mind the whole Aussie “no worries” mentality with your visit, rushing about isn’t really the way or even missing something because everything works out. You know how I know?

I booked my Blue Mountains jaunt and then with my dual time zone watch, woke up and looked at the wrong time zone so I missed my ride. I rang up totally embarrassed thinking I was out of luck but not only could I get on the next days schedule but the guide offered to RING ME UP to ensure I wouldn’t sleep through again! This....is how they roll in Australia. In Sydney, a big city. So you see, you can’t make a bad choice.

(For me I’d probably take the The Rocks but I’ve already been there. Although, I might just sit staring at that view and never leave so.....?)

Have a wonderful, unforgettable visit!! :)

I prefer The Rocks area as it is more alive after hours (e.g. Markets, restaurants). The Holiday Inn is closer to OPT, assuming you disembark there. It is an easy waterfront walk under the Bridge to theatres and restaurants in that area, as well as a walk around Circular Quay to the ferries and train, as well as the Opera House.

They are both very well located but I suppose the final, final cut might come down to time management and your Sydney plans: where are you going, what are you doing so does it matter your starting point? If it does then stay at the Harbour for the easiest/quickest morning start. If you don’t mind an extra few minutes of time (only a little!) for a quaint, charming area with that rooftop pool, well then, there you are.
I'd echo the "only a little". These two hotels are less than 10 minutes' walk apart. In very many cities, they would undoubtedly be regarded as being in the same area. I think of these two hotels in this way, and I suspect most Sydneysiders would probably say the same. I would be picking on the basis of hotel facilities etc, rather than thinking of them being in different areas. They really aren't.

I'd echo the "only a little". These two hotels are less than 10 minutes' walk apart. In very many cities, they would undoubtedly be regarded as being in the same area. I think of these two hotels in this way, and I suspect most Sydneysiders would probably say the same. I would be picking on the basis of hotel facilities etc, rather than thinking of them being in different areas. They really aren't.

Exactly.

For location I'd choose the Holiday Inn.

Thanks for your responses. If I had to pick based on pictures I would pick the Marriott because it looks newer and more modern however there are other things to consider. We will be in Sydney for a week and will want to see the sites etc. We will want restaurants in walking distance. Are there lots of restaurants near the Marriott? We would want to walk to catch a ferry, etc. If it is just a 10 minute walk between the two then to us that is fine. I tried looking on map quest and they looked close to each other but it said they were .6 miles apart. I guess that would be 10 or possibly 15 minute walk. Fine if the weather is not raining! Both hotels seem to be rated highly on Trip Advisor and mentioned a lot on here.

I know when I get off the ship I can walk to the Holiday Inn. It seems I should be able to walk to the Marriott also as long as we don't have more luggage than we can handle.

Eenie meanie miney mo !

Edited by dickinson

We will want restaurants in walking distance. Are there lots of restaurants near the Marriott?
There is a real danger of overthinking this. Anywhere that's within walking distance of one hotel is within walking distance of the other. The Marriott will be closer to more restaurants than the Holiday Inn. Obviously, there will be some restaurants right in the middle of the Rocks that the Holiday Inn is closer to. But the countless restaurants that are south of the Marriott will (equally obviously) all be closer to the Marriott.

Thanks for your responses. If I had to pick based on pictures I would pick the Marriott because it looks newer and more modern however there are other things to consider. We will be in Sydney for a week and will want to see the sites etc. We will want restaurants in walking distance. Are there lots of restaurants near the Marriott? We would want to walk to catch a ferry, etc. If it is just a 10 minute walk between the two then to us that is fine. I tried looking on map quest and they looked close to each other but it said they were .6 miles apart. I guess that would be 10 or possibly 15 minute walk. Fine if the weather is not raining! Both hotels seem to be rated highly on Trip Advisor and mentioned a lot on here.

I know when I get off the ship I can walk to the Holiday Inn. It seems I should be able to walk to the Marriott also as long as we don't have more luggage than we can handle.

Eenie meanie miney mo !

Google maps say the two hotels are 600 metres apart not 6 miles. The Marriott is only a block or so from Circular Quay - perhaps a 10-15 minute walk from the OPT. I agree with others that the decider between the two hotels would be the facilities of each. Enjoy your stay in Sydney.

Leigh

Google maps say the two hotels are 600 metres apart not 6 miles. The Marriott is only a block or so from Circular Quay - perhaps a 10-15 minute walk from the OPT. I agree with others that the decider between the two hotels would be the facilities of each. Enjoy your stay in Sydney.

Leigh

Hard to read but I had point 6 miles

Eenie meanie miney mo !

Agree with Globaliser, there’s no making a wrong choice here so don’t overthink it. Both locations are amazing as are both hotels. And....it’s SYDNEY! It’s really one of the greatest cities in the world (for me, right up there with Paris but they’re not the same, I just love them different than most other places) and you’ll have NO problem finding places to eat or getting around with ease. If you’re worried about getting from ship to hotel, just grab a taxi or Uber or Taxify (new to Oz from Europe) to avoid the schlepping of luggage.

Honestly, you’re in the greatest most convenient area with either choice for everything. Truly, no worries. Just choose the place where you think you’d like to shower, change and sleep!

Not sure how many days you’re staying but here’s a better conundrum to ponder: take a look at the schedule in the Opera House and see what’s on, maybe think about getting tickets one evening? I went to the ballet one evening and it was quite an experience to attend an event inside this structure. It’s not known for great acoustics though I believe it’s getting an adjustment for that in order to attract the best talent back. Another possibility, spending a night over in the Blue Mountains; I regret not doing this and I would have even without a change of clothes were I not without an essential rx at the time. Tauranga, Manly, Bondi, the Quarantine station (really interesting!) even the ride on the Bounty was fun.

Get into thinking about this stuff now...you will never forget the sight and sound two Roos make when they’re really at it fighting not too far from where you’re (safely) standing or when you’re gazing at what looks like a face in the side of a wall of stone or watch the sun light up the three sisters.

The hotel won’t matter one bit. :)

We just got off Solstice and are staying at the Marriott. It is a truly nice hotel and well located. The Holiday Inn is literally a 5 min walk away. It seems a bit older and somewhat dated. But both in a great location.

We just got off Solstice and are staying at the Marriott. It is a truly nice hotel and well located. The Holiday Inn is literally a 5 min walk away. It seems a bit older and somewhat dated. But both in a great location.

Thank you. Hope you had a wonderful trip.