Alcohol - bringing on ship

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:50 AM.
BH13 - England
2,529 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by majortom10
P&O have just announced a change in their alcohol policy so that you are only allowed to take 1 litre per person onboard on embarkation and any bought during the cruise will be confiscated and given back to you at the end of the cruise. Is it only a matter of time before Cunard follow suit and fall in line with most Carnival plc cruise lines.
No problem, great idea, but Cunard must enforce it.
All this means is we just purchase an additional three bottles of wine at dinner.
Anyway, all landslide purchases are pre-ordered, for cabinets at home, so a "confiscation" is of no concern.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
There are those who have, and those who have Yachts.
Mississauga, Canada
1,369 Posts
Joined Oct 2000
Originally posted by majortom10
P&O have just announced a change in their alcohol policy so that you are only allowed to take 1 litre per person onboard on embarkation and any bought during the cruise will be confiscated and given back to you at the end of the cruise. Is it only a matter of time before Cunard follow suit and fall in line with most Carnival plc cruise lines.
Cunard already has a restrictive policy but they say they do not intend to enforce it "as a matter of course" although they may do so. The following notice (with some differences in wording) has appeared on the "Q & A" section of their Website for several years. At one time the permissible amount of wine or Champagne was listed as one bottle per passenger, but they don't say that now unless it appears somewhere else on their site.

"You may bring wine or champagne on board (over the age of 21) to celebrate special occasions. However if it is consumed in any of the dining rooms, alternative restaurants or bars then each bottle will be subject to a a corkage fee.
We reserve the right to remove alcohol at the gangway if brought on board, either at embarkation or when in a port of call and will be returned to you at the end of your voyage. It is not our intention to invoke this policy as a matter of course and we will only implement on occasions where we consider it likely that the health, comfort, safety and enjoyment of passengers may otherwise be compromised.
Should you wish to take wine or champagne on board to consume in a restaurant, each bottle will be subject to a US$20.00 corkage charge. This fee is subject to change."
Iowa
1,322 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by david,Mississauga
... At one time the permissible amount of wine or Champagne was listed as one bottle per passenger, but they don't say that now unless it appears somewhere else on their site. ...
Unfortunately, Cunard still does supply that information about one bottle of wine or champagne per passenger in at least a couple places. On "ask.cunard.com", there is this question about corkage fees.

Q. Can I take a bottle of wine/champagne on board to drink in a restaurant and would a corkage fee apply?

The answer to that questions states in part "Please be advised that passengers are allowed to bring on board one bottle per person for special occasions."

Also, as the OP mentioned in the post that started this thread, the Voyage Personaliser makes the following statement which I found within the section "Life on Board", "Useful Information", "Alcohol Policy".

"You may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board to celebrate special occasions."

We know in practice Cunard does not yet limit alcohol taken on board to one bottle per passenger, but I'm sorry to say there is still some conflicting information out there from Cunard about their policy.

Regards, John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"There’s nothing―absolutely nothing―half so much worth doing as messing about in boats." ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows

CroisiEurope Douce France, Rhine River (2004) ... Queen Mary 2, Transatlantic (2005, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016) ... Queen Elizabeth 2, Norwegian Wonders (2008) ... Island Princess, Panama Canal (2008) ... Queen Victoria, Gallic Getaway (2009) ... Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean (2010) ... Brilliance of the Seas, Suez Canal (2011) ... Queen Elizabeth, Eastern Mediterranean (2012) ... Maasdam, Canada and New England (2013) ... Queen Mary 2, Caribbean Fiesta (2013) ... Serenade of the Seas, Baltic (2017)

Pennsylvania
5,739 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
The one bottle per passenger rule is also explicitly stated in the Passage Contract (the US version, if there's any difference).
Guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage.
The FAQ statement regarding reserving the right to remove/confiscate alcohol at the gangway (but not intending to do so as a matter of practice) seems to provide relief against the above restriction.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 7 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
Iowa
1,322 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by Underwatr
The one bottle per passenger rule is also explicitly stated in the Passage Contract (the US version, if there's any difference).
Guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage.
The FAQ statement regarding reserving the right to remove/confiscate alcohol at the gangway (but not intending to do so as a matter of practice) seems to provide relief against the above restriction.
Ah, yes the US Passage Contract -- how could I have forgotten that?

I can't find anything called a Passage Contract on Cunard's UK web site. About the closest thing I can find there is a "Booking Conditions" document that makes no mention of the alcohol policy.

Question for our friends in the UK. Is there a UK Passage Contract or other similar document Cunard provides to UK passengers that states the alcohol policy in terms similar to what Underwatr has quoted from the US Passage Contract? Just curious.

Regards, John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"There’s nothing―absolutely nothing―half so much worth doing as messing about in boats." ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows

CroisiEurope Douce France, Rhine River (2004) ... Queen Mary 2, Transatlantic (2005, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016) ... Queen Elizabeth 2, Norwegian Wonders (2008) ... Island Princess, Panama Canal (2008) ... Queen Victoria, Gallic Getaway (2009) ... Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean (2010) ... Brilliance of the Seas, Suez Canal (2011) ... Queen Elizabeth, Eastern Mediterranean (2012) ... Maasdam, Canada and New England (2013) ... Queen Mary 2, Caribbean Fiesta (2013) ... Serenade of the Seas, Baltic (2017)

Honiton, Devon, England
208 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Well next Sunday we will probably bring on a bottle of bubbly for the sail away and maybe for me a bottle of 20 year old port for the odd cabin tipple over 26 days. That's all we would ever be bothered to bring on. I don't suppose bringing a bottle of spirit will make a great deal of impact to our on board spending habits. Like many, we enjoy exploring the wine list over dinner and usually an after dinner liqueur off the well stocked drinks trolley. Then it's up to the Commodore to listen to the pianist and a cocktail or two. I couldn't imagine ever having to think about on board drink prices, they just seem similar to ordinary restaurant beverages and after all we are on holiday.
Overlooking the Straights of Dover
149 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Originally posted by bluemarble
Question for our friends in the UK. Is there a UK Passage Contract or other similar document Cunard provides to UK passengers that states the alcohol policy in terms similar to what Underwatr has quoted from the US Passage Contract? Just curious.
Not that I can see. The FAQ link in post 63 is the only one that I can see which mentions a specific limit, there are two visible from the UK about taking food and/or drink on board which just mention corkage charges for consuming wine etc in restaurants or bars. The booking conditions for UK customers include information online as well as that provided in their brochures, both hard copy and online, so they're giving a somewhat mixed message.
Pennsylvania
5,739 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
What do you get when you click the link in my post above (recognizing that the default is to take you to the corresponding page at ...co.uk)?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:

Iowa
1,322 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by Underwatr
What do you get when you click the link in my post above (recognizing that the default is to take you to the corresponding page at ...co.uk)?
What I am seeing when I redirect to the UK is that your link goes to a "Legal information" page as it does in the US. However, in the UK that page does not have a section called "Passage Contract". It has the following sections instead.
  • Passenger Rights when Travelling by Sea
  • Privacy Policy
  • Cruise Industry Passenger Bill of Rights
  • Environmental Statement
  • Booking conditions, insurance and crime prevention
  • Consumer protection
  • Terms and conditions
  • Website terms of use
  • Modern Slavery Act Statement
The text of that first "Passenger Rights when Travelling by Sea" section is what is displayed by default.

The "Booking conditions, insurance and crime prevention" section has links to these four separate pdf documents:
  • Booking Conditions
  • Shore Excursions Terms and Conditions
  • Gift Voucher
  • Crime Prevention and Response Guide
The "Terms and conditions" section discusses the following:
  • Complimentary Benefits
  • On board credit
  • Car Parking in Southampton
  • Return Coach Travel to Southampton
The Booking Conditions pdf is a 19 page document which is probably the closest thing to the US Passage Contract. There is a section in that document titled "The Contract" which begins with this statement.
"The Contract shall be between Cunard and the Passenger on the basis of these Conditions and the information contained in the Cunard brochure or website, and shall be governed by English law and the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts."
But there is no mention of the alcohol policy in that Booking Conditions document like there is in the US Passage Contract.

Regards, John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

UK
664 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by Host Hattie
You will be fine, there is no issue taking alcohol on board at embarkation or after port calls. Cunard treats their passengers as adults !
Have a wonderful time.
Hattie, I like to take a few cans of lager to drink on the balcony in my cabin. Will I be allowed to bring cans on board?
East Lancashire
2,616 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
I am just back from Queen Elizabeth and brought alcohol on board in both Gibraltar and Lisbon with no issues at all.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
QE2, 1991, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004 (twice) 2005, 2006, 2007 (twice) and 2008 (twice). Caronia 2002 and 2003, QM2 2009, 2010 (twice), 2011, 2014 and 2015, QV 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2016, QE 2012 (twice), 2013, 2015 and 2017. Braemar 2015 (once was enough) Oriana 2017, Good but I still prefer Cunard.
UK
664 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by Lanky Lad
I am just back from Queen Elizabeth and brought alcohol on board in both Gibraltar and Lisbon with no issues at all.
That's nice to know. The thought of a long cruise without a can of my favourite beer is quite daunting.
Staffordshire
1,973 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
I do not know if Cunard will follow P&Os new changes or wait and see or do nothing at all but P&Os changes regarding taking alcohol onboard do not come into effect until February 2018 so things will stay the same for the forseeable future.
UK
53 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Originally posted by Lanky Lad

On port days on ourrecent Queen Elizabeth cruise we also brought alcohol on board with norestriction. In conversation, some passengers did say that security staff hadtaken note of alcohol bottles brought on board and their cabin number. Notanecdotal, and not our experience. Perhaps this could be information gatheringto support any future change in policy consistent with that which P&Oappear to be implementing. Perhaps others on recent cruises could comment.

We enjoy the relaxed approach which Cunard currently employ,allowing us to enjoy alcohol in our stateroom. Admittedly there is noprofit for Cunard in this, but we also spend significantly in bars, lounges andthe restaurant on the ship. Most passengers who don’t take alcohol on board areprobably unlikely to profit Cunard onalcohol sales, so why restrict those who do? We’ve noticed the increasing alcohol prices oneach cruise we’ve taken, and accept this because we prefer Cunard to otherlines. Loyalty does however apply both ways, and Cunard should consider this before policy change.

Staffordshire
1,973 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
I must admit that even though not big alcohol drinkers and not a big part of our cruise but the recent price rises on Cunard did curb our spending in bars on our recent cruise on QE.
Pennsylvania
5,739 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
I'm actually likely to significantly reduce the amount of wine I bring on at Christmas this year. We have a significant amount of onboard credit to burn through, and are planning to take the train to New York a couple of days before embarkation rather than driving to Brooklyn. I'll bring a couple of bottles of champagne but otherwise will try to be less of a pack mule en route to the ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:

Lancashier
262 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by Solent Richard
I've even witnessed a small group bringing on a number of wine boxes.

Perhaps someone can confirm this goes on regularly.
I do think the extra thirsty cruisers, could possibly spoil it for passengers in the future
UK
53 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Originally posted by Solent Richard
I've even witnessed a small group bringing on a number of wine boxes.

Perhaps someone can confirm this goes on regularly.

In terms of volume, a 3 litre box of wine is equivalent to four bottles. Why is that less acceptable than taking on a case of wine containing six bottles which is regarded as acceptable?
Alternatively one could board with two bottles of wine and then take on board one bottle of wine purchased on shore at each of six ports. This would be eight bottles taken on board.