Notes and Coins Changing

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:06 PM.
Scotland
778 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
You know how the UK has just got rid of the old style £5 notes and pound coins. Just a word of warning, Norway are changing and their notes are in a transition period at the moment with the final date for accepting old notes next May.

We tend to keep our currency from cruise to cruise but have not been to Norway or Denmark in a while.Went to top up our supply and noticed that the notes were all different so I checked on line and with the tourist board.

You have until May for Norway but if you have the old style Danish Kroner they are no longer legal tender and shops can refuse to take them but banks will exchange. The old ones have people with hats on them, the new notes have objects.

I think I will cash in the rest of my less frequently used currency just in case as that could have been embarrassing if we did not find out until we were in Copenhagen.

Anyone know of any other countries changing their notes recently?
UK
274 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Helpful tip, but so far only the 100 and 200 Kr notes have been issued and only the old ones of these denominations go out of use in May 18. So my one remaining Norwegian note, 50 Kr, is OK for my return to Norway in August - the replacement is planned for the end of 18 and the old ones are valid for a year after that (details at http://www.norges-bank.no/en/notes-a...nknote-series/).
Whitley Bay, North East England
6,553 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by Eglesbrech
You know how the UK has just got rid of the old style £5 notes and pound coins. Just a word of warning, Norway are changing and their notes are in a transition period at the moment with the final date for accepting old notes next May.

We tend to keep our currency from cruise to cruise but have not been to Norway or Denmark in a while.Went to top up our supply and noticed that the notes were all different so I checked on line and with the tourist board.

You have until May for Norway but if you have the old style Danish Kroner they are no longer legal tender and shops can refuse to take them but banks will exchange. The old ones have people with hats on them, the new notes have objects.

I think I will cash in the rest of my less frequently used currency just in case as that could have been embarrassing if we did not find out until we were in Copenhagen.

Anyone know of any other countries changing their notes recently?

Thanks for that we have about 650 left which we will now change.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aurora AU112 Arcadia AR223
Aurora R418 Aurora R419
Adonia F507 Adonia F508
Aurora R525 Arcadia J625
Oceana E721 Oriana X718
Arcadia J813 Oriana X820
Ventura N902 Aurora R913
Arcadia J004 Oceana E021
Ventura N110 Azura A121
Aurora R119 Ventura N210
Arcadia J217 Oriana X302
Oriana X312 Aurora R315
Oceana E402 Azura A409
Azura A410 Oceana E425
Oceana E426 Arcadia J510
Britannia B522 Britannia B523
Ventura N603 Azura A616
Arcadia J615 Arcadia J616
Oceana E625 Crown Princess May 17
Britannia B719 Britannia B720

To Come

Azura 17
Azura 17
Ventura 18
Oriana 18
Oriana 18
Ventura 19
Ventura 19
Britannia 19
Ventura 9
Ventura 19

Gan Canny

Dai
Surrey
393 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Thanks for this. I have some leftover from our cruise in June and was obviously hoping they would be OK for next June, will have to get them out and have a look.