New embarkation system

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!


Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:08 PM.
#22
Warwickshire, UK
2,514 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Other than having to enter your pin, there is no change to the system. There has always been pre-authorisation as long as I can remember.
I suspect that the reason for entering a pin is to ensure it is actually your card and not a borrowed or stolen card.
Brian
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Previous P&O (32) Costa, Royal Caribbean (2), Cunard (3) Princess
(3)
#23
UK
1,411 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Originally posted by eddie11
Cruised in August and October
Entered PIN @ check in at Southampton
No problems at all
Don’t worry
Originally posted by BrianI
Other than having to enter your pin, there is no change to the system. There has always been pre-authorisation as long as I can remember.
I suspect that the reason for entering a pin is to ensure it is actually your card and not a borrowed or stolen card.
Brian
Thanks both, I had hoped it was basically the same as I've done before but this lady on Facebook had problems with a Barclays card, luckily I bank with a different bank. At every bar she was getting card declined messages! Very upsetting I should imagine.
#24
Watton,Norfolk
448 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Have no fear, they will sort it out. They aren't likely to forgo the opportunity to get you to spend your money in their shops and bars, and all those photos.��������
#25
Wimborne, Dorset
865 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
Originally posted by P&O SUE
Thanks both, I had hoped it was basically the same as I've done before but this lady on Facebook had problems with a Barclays card, luckily I bank with a different bank. At every bar she was getting card declined messages! Very upsetting I should imagine.
Sounds like some mixed messages here, if she was trying to use her credit card at a bar on board then she obviously didn't understand the system. If they were bars ashore then there was something wrong with her card.

Either way, the process is no different to any card based transaction and nothing to get worried about.
#26
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
598 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by P&O SUE
Thanks both, I had hoped it was basically the same as I've done before but this lady on Facebook had problems with a Barclays card, luckily I bank with a different bank. At every bar she was getting card declined messages! Very upsetting I should imagine.
I think it must have been a problem with this lady or her card. I normally use a Barclaycard to pay for my on-board account and have never had any problems.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Andrew

Past: Cunard QE2 & Queen Elizabeth; P&O Victoria, Oriana, Arcadia, Aurora, Oceana, Azura; Sea Princess; Celebrity Summit; Fred Olsen Black Watch, Saga Ruby, Portuscale MV Funchal, MS Mayfair (Nile River Cruise).

Future: CMV Marco Polo to Iceland.
#29
7 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
We had problems in September, it wouldn't take my husband's card but took mine, which seemed strange as they are the same bank/account type. Not a problem just slightly embarrassing for the person who's card is rejected
#30
1,014 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by silver service
Was arcadia late in this morning? I watched it sailing in at 10oclock.
Was quite surprised to see it at rhis time. Mike on the southampton
Waterside.
Not late. Returning from a refit on schedule. No pax embarking until tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app
#31
UK
13 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
On one cruise, whilst on board, all passengers had to register a card. I presented my Santander card which was not accepted. Prior to departure from Southampton I informed the bank of the countries I was visiting - Germany, Denmark etc. However, the ships Bank was registered in Florida, so my card was refused because I had not informed Santander of the USA. Fortunately we have a second bank with Lloyd’s that came to the rescue. I hadn’t informed Lloyd’s anything.
#32
Abruzzo, Italy
188 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
We got back on the 13th November and unfortunately we've had problems using my Barclaycard. On embarkation I registered my Barcalycard and the lady said that all three of us in the cabin had been classes as 'users'. When asked if this was a problems she said no, but to go to reception onboard and just get the other two passengers registered as guest users.

We used our cruise cards for purchases, no problem. When I visited reception the manager asked if 'Mrs Hunt' shouldn't be paying for all passengers in our cabin. Mrs Hunt was not one of our party! We were duly unlinked from Mrs Hunt's credit card and after 3 attempts the manager told me that my card had been successfully added.

I checked the onboard account via the TV and everything was fine.....until I came to disembark when I was told to return to reception. Not great after we had queued for over an hour to get out and my mum has walking difficulties. Another long wait at reception only to be told my Barclaycard has been declined, they couldn't accept another card and could I pay in cash? NO, I don't have that much cash! I was made to feel rather small, I had to fill out a form and was told the finance manager would call me to arrange alternative payment of my account. On arriving back at home it appears I must contact the Finance Manager not the other way around.

Funnily enough, I booked another cruise onboard and my Barclaycard sailed through for the deposit amount. When I have a few moments I will contact Barclaycard and P&O, try and resolve matters, and perhaps let others know if there is a problem.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NEXT UP:




Then.....P&O Azura Norwegian Fjords - August 2019

PLANNING
Antarctica - 2020

SAILED...
P&O Ventura - Bruges Mini Cruise with my lovely MUM - November 2017
MSC Magnifica Eastern Med from Venice April 2015
MSC Splendida Western Med from Civitavecchia December 2014
NCL Sun - Glacier Bay from Vancouver September 2014
RC Splendour of the Seas - Argentina & Uruguay January 2012
Costa Serena - Atlantic Isles January 2010
RC Rhapsody of the Seas - Jewels of Asia February 2008

RC Voyager of the Seas - Mediterran October 2006
P&O Aurora - Altlantic Isles December 2005
P&O Aurora - Bruge Short Break August 2003
P&O Oriana - Spain & Canaries June 2001
#33
Dorset
31 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
We we're also on a cruise at the weekend had no problems with our credit card registration but it is not a barclaycard which seems to be the problem ,when we got on the Ventura there was a very long queue at reception and every day was the same with people having card problems so my advice would be to take another credit card just in case better that than standing for over a hour on embarkation day NOT FUN
#34
UK
2,416 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
I have always used my Barclaycard Credit Card and have never had any problems at all. The last time was on Oceana in October, so was under the new pre authorisation system, but we had no issues whatsoever.
#35
Badiddlyboing, Odawidaho
2,138 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
[quote=
I should clarify that my wife is a wheelchair user and we often bypass Assisted Embarkation and Disembarkation for the reasons described above.[/quote]

Selbourne -Wish we could!! Dreading December 9th - I just haven't the strength to push the chair and pull the case full of meds/appliances. Neither can I walk around West Quay for three hours pushing the wheelchair and pulling the meds case!!


Just hoping to find a nice younger fellow passenger to help us out!!
#36
UK
1,411 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Originally posted by Babyeddiedog
We got back on the 13th November and unfortunately we've had problems using my Barclaycard. On embarkation I registered my Barcalycard and the lady said that all three of us in the cabin had been classes as 'users'. When asked if this was a problems she said no, but to go to reception onboard and just get the other two passengers registered as guest users.

We used our cruise cards for purchases, no problem. When I visited reception the manager asked if 'Mrs Hunt' shouldn't be paying for all passengers in our cabin. Mrs Hunt was not one of our party! We were duly unlinked from Mrs Hunt's credit card and after 3 attempts the manager told me that my card had been successfully added.

I checked the onboard account via the TV and everything was fine.....until I came to disembark when I was told to return to reception. Not great after we had queued for over an hour to get out and my mum has walking difficulties. Another long wait at reception only to be told my Barclaycard has been declined, they couldn't accept another card and could I pay in cash? NO, I don't have that much cash! I was made to feel rather small, I had to fill out a form and was told the finance manager would call me to arrange alternative payment of my account. On arriving back at home it appears I must contact the Finance Manager not the other way around.

Funnily enough, I booked another cruise onboard and my Barclaycard sailed through for the deposit amount. When I have a few moments I will contact Barclaycard and P&O, try and resolve matters, and perhaps let others know if there is a problem.
What a pain! I hope you get it resolved - and yes, please let us know how you get on.
#37
Abruzzo, Italy
188 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
All sorted, my account is now clear, thank heavens.

Barclaycard advised that it was a problem with either the chip or swipe reader and P&O confirmed that they are aware of the problem with their system (as are the staff onboard) and they are working to resolve it. So, moral of the story is take more than one credit card and check your statement on departure (even if you checked the account on your in room TV) to make sure your payment has gone through.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NEXT UP:




Then.....P&O Azura Norwegian Fjords - August 2019

PLANNING
Antarctica - 2020

SAILED...
P&O Ventura - Bruges Mini Cruise with my lovely MUM - November 2017
MSC Magnifica Eastern Med from Venice April 2015
MSC Splendida Western Med from Civitavecchia December 2014
NCL Sun - Glacier Bay from Vancouver September 2014
RC Splendour of the Seas - Argentina & Uruguay January 2012
Costa Serena - Atlantic Isles January 2010
RC Rhapsody of the Seas - Jewels of Asia February 2008

RC Voyager of the Seas - Mediterran October 2006
P&O Aurora - Altlantic Isles December 2005
P&O Aurora - Bruge Short Break August 2003
P&O Oriana - Spain & Canaries June 2001
#38
UK
1,411 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Originally posted by Babyeddiedog
All sorted, my account is now clear, thank heavens.

Barclaycard advised that it was a problem with either the chip or swipe reader and P&O confirmed that they are aware of the problem with their system (as are the staff onboard) and they are working to resolve it. So, moral of the story is take more than one credit card and check your statement on departure (even if you checked the account on your in room TV) to make sure your payment has gone through.
That's good then! Although a pain to have to sort. I only take one card on holiday for obvious reasons - think I'll be taking two now just in case!