What Do You Like Best About Cunard

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:54 AM.
Honiton, Devon, England
208 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
After receiving a recent feedback questionnaire we had an opportunity to prioritise what best we enjoyed about the cruise line.

I have to say Cunard's friendly staff is way up there along with the ambience and dress code.
New Jersey
9,032 Posts
Joined May 2007
In no particular order (because I can't decide which is most important), the dress code/formal nights, the great variety of LIVE music all around the ship, and the excellent speaker program.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kathy
The THIRD generation in my family to sail on a Cunarder
28 QE2 - including 2 Midnight Sun, 2 Panama Canal, 6 TAs, 4 Canada/New England, and various Caribbean, Bermuda, Europe itineraries
11 QM2 - 7 TAs, Caribbean, Royal Circumnavigation of Australia, Canada
1 Caronia - Baltic
11 HAL -Bermuda, Canada, Caribbean, Alaska
1 Princess
2 RCCL
5 NCL - including 2 on SS Norway (RIP)
1 Uniworld River Cruise (Tulips and Windmills)
1 American Cruise Line - Queen of the West, Columbia & Snake Rivers
Virginia
22,210 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Another vote for the formal nights and dress code. If I want to see men eating while wearing a baseball cap, I can go to McDonald’s.
West Midlands
503 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
We love the formal nights and dress code on board. If you want casual, use another cruise line.

The ability to bring on board your own champagne to enjoy on the balcony at sailaway - no, we don't abuse the policy and still drink in the bars.

The fact that there's no rowdiness on board even on the short cruises.

The staff on board, who always make you feel welcome.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2019 QE Oct Norway & Northern Lights
2018 QM2 Mar Hong Kong to Singapore
2017 QV Oct Adriatic & Aegean gems
2017 QM2 Sep New England & Canada
2017 Windsurf Apr Glitz & Glam in the Riviera
2016 QE Nov Canaries
2016 QV Sep Athens, Greek Isles, Albania & Venice
2016 Eclipse Apr Le Havre
2016 QE Mar Tokyo to Hong Kong (sector of World Cruise)
2015 QV Aug Istanbul & Greek Isles
2015 QE Jul Ireland, Iceland & the Faroes
2015 QE Jun Guernsey
2015 Ventura Apr Belgium
2014 QM2 Dec Christmas markets in Belgium
2014 QE Apr Dubai to S'ton (final sector World Cruise)
2013 QM2 Dec Winter Getaway
2013 QV Aug St Petersburg & Baltic Explorer
2013 QE Jun Fjords & Waterfalls
2012 QV Oct Autumn Adventure
2012 QE Aug Mediterranean Memories
2012 QM2 Jun Summer Getaway (Jubilee sailing)
2012 QV May Spring Getaway
2011 QM2 Oct Taste of France
2011 QV Aug Pearls of the Black Sea
2010 QV Jul Norwegian Fjords

2009 QM2 Nov Transatlantic
2008 QM2 Sep Transatlantic
Maine, USA
87 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
  • Her (QM2) elegance (I've only sailed on QM2, but I'm going to bet that the other two queens are just as elegant)
  • Her sophistication, without being snooty
  • Her decor. Beautiful artwork, art deco, fresh flowers.
  • Beautiful music. Quartet, Harp.
  • Her passengers.
  • Her lovely shape. I mean really, isn't she just stunning when she's docked and you look up at her bow from below?
  • Educational/enrichment series.
  • Wow, there's just so much to list....
I especially love that there are no hairy ankle contests; no loud music; no annoying announcements; no animal shaped towels; no garish brass, mirrors and colors; no plastic palm trees; no climbing walls or ziplines.
California
328 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
Originally posted by mainewoods
  • Her (QM2) elegance (I've only sailed on QM2, but I'm going to bet that the other two queens are just as elegant)
  • Her sophistication, without being snooty
  • Her decor. Beautiful artwork, art deco, fresh flowers.
  • Beautiful music. Quartet, Harp.
  • Her passengers.
  • Her lovely shape. I mean really, isn't she just stunning when she's docked and you look up at her bow from below?
  • Educational/enrichment series.
  • Wow, there's just so much to list....
I especially love that there are no hairy ankle contests; no loud music; no annoying announcements; no animal shaped towels; no garish brass, mirrors and colors; no plastic palm trees; no climbing walls or ziplines.
All excellent points. Most everything on the list is a consequence of the dress code and formal nights. If that went away Cunard would start attracting people who would demand a hairy ankle contest.
USA
44 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Quiet: no blaring Musak on the open decks or public rooms, no loud talking (thanks to the percentage of British passengers usually aboard), no endless announcements. You can actually hear the sea.
Traditional: wood steamer chairs on a proper boat deck promenade, traditional shipboard deck sports, no amusement park features, outdoor video boards and trendy nonsense
Dress code: the only line left with proper standards. Tee shirts and flip-flops on "formal" night... not on Cunard.
Consistency: of cuisine and service in the MDR even with open sitting for breakfast and lunch
Cocktails: pricey yet but good value with exceptional bar service, nibbles, extensive drinks menu
Library: best on the high seas. Not everyone wants to spend a cruise looking at a little computer screen. Real books. And a huge assortment of them with a proper librarian, too.
Itineraries: proper "no fly" cruises: from Southampton and New York
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

FRANCE-RAFFAELLO-LEONARDO DA VINCI-STEFAN BATORY-QUEEN ELIZABETH 2-CANBERRA-UGANDA-GUGLIELMO MARCONI-EUROPA-CENTAUR-VISTAFJORD-BALTIKA-ORIANA-ACHILLE LAURO-OCEANIC-BRITANIS-AKDENIZ-ROTTERDAM-ST. HELENA-EUGENIO C.-BLACK PRINCE-BLACK WATCH-R7-PILGRIM BELLE-REGAL EMPRESS-VICTORIA-REGATTA-MAASDAM-CARONIA-QUEEN MARY 2-EURODAM-NIEUW AMSTERDAM-MARINA-RIVIERA-QUEEN ELIZABETH
Franklin, MA USA
7,453 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
We took our very first cruise with Cunard this year on QM2

Things we really enjoyed:
1)Ambiance
2) How uncrowded ship felt
3) Ship is almost like a museum with so many interesting stories on the walls
4) Planetarium is a great feature. Went twice in 5 days
5) Musical clubs.
6) Cozy cabins with teapots
7) Ballroom dancing and high tea
8) Food in buffets was mostly high quality, especially in Asian corner
9) Nice pools including covered. Loved towels there
10) Enjoyed interesting conversation with Captain who was invited to our cc gathering
11) There was so much to do, we had one day rainy and haven't noticed it.

Cons: we were expecting better food in mdr. Celebrity, Holland and Princess bit Cunard in this department, and Royal in some regards.
We experienced a bit better entertainment in main theater with some other lines
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
X Century3,7~Mercury5~Summit15~Silhouette16 PCL~Caribbean6,9,10~Ruby8~Grand12~Royal17
RCI~Splendor4~Explorer7,9,10~Brilliance13~Allure16~Anthem16,17~Grandeur17 HAL~Zuiderdam4~Veendam16 NCL~Sun6~Spirit8~Dawn11~Jewel12~Gem12,17~Breakaway14 MSC~Poesia14~Divina14 Cunard~QM217
CCL~Liberty5~Miracle11~Glory13
UK
275 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Dress code, quiet, refinement, etc as already mentioned - plus the ability to go Grills and have dining (and lunch and breakfast) that is truly flexible with our own dedicated table, with the same staff; walk in at any time and there it always is. Some people prefer alternative arrangements, but it's there as an option if you want (and we do!).
Oakland, CA USA
1,781 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
The crossings on QM2. No one else does it. Repositionings are not the same, for many reasons.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cunard: 109 Days
Seabourn: 68 Days
Azamara: 64 Days
HAL: 34 Days
Crystal: 31 Days
Celebrity: 14 Days
Princess: 14 Days
RCL: 7 Days
Commodore: 7 Days
Carnival: 3 Days
Goodtime II: 1 Day
midwest
973 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Wonderful speakers have always been number one for DH and me.

Then, the ambience: less frenetic and more relaxed. Live classic music instead of something blasted on loud speakers.

Comfortable chairs in public spaces. (Boy, are the chairs on the Celebrity Equinox uncomfortable for sitting and reading!)

Good service. Good food.

Oh, and the LIBRARIES! Love the wealth of reading matter, particularly on a longer voyage.

And, if the QM2, the most magnificent passenger ship on the sea!

This would have been a much more difficult thread, if it had asked "what don't you like?" I'm not sure I could have answered that

Happy Sailings to you all.

Jimmybean
Kansas City
439 Posts
Joined Nov 2012
In addition to most of the previous -
Very few children on board (at least on the QM2) and those are usually well behaved. I remember once seeing a very young boy wearing an immaculate tuxedo (complete with patent leather shoes ) walking along with his parents on formal nights.
Vale of Glamorgan
3,560 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Everything everyone has already mentioned, plus a good selection of "real" beer for Mr HH.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

Please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
Boca Raton, Florida
2,913 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Formality and history. Of course, all the rest is all great!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Best regards,

Lou Betti
Boca Raton, FL
Bergen County, Northern New Jersey, USA
5,841 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Dear Robbie_3,

It is inasmuchas not only the Shareholder Benefit from the Parent CCL/CUK :NYSE/LSE,
but having the only Ocean Liner, the only (24) Kennels too.

FYI:

Did you know that the AKC show of the Westminster Kennel Club, held annually, in NYC, NY is awarded to the Best in Show winner ( Owner and Cannine) now as of A.D. 2017 a Gratis voyage on the QM2 too? It is a Breed Ring Show.

Those in summary are what I like best on the Cunard ships and Oceanliner, besides all the other great attributes.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
truncated American born, bred, proud of it. Garden State growing. Cruise more miles on open water!We are Nautical eh..
1066 a.d William I.Again allied Flanders on ships with King Richard I won England / Scotland.Only I have documented from a.d. 241 so far.
Our N. American Family 1584-1587 Roanok Colony / Croatoan site, first English male child born in N.America, first Permanent Settlement on 05/14/1607 A.D. 2 of the 3 ships, Susan (Sarah) Constant & Godspeed building a fort at Jamestowne, Va.

A few years later also 8 more Kin Folk, aboard on the Dutch Liquor Ship, Mayflower 1621.

June 14th, a.d. 1646 our direct kinsman French first Grand Admiral Jean Armand de Maillé-Brézé killed at the Battle of Ortebello , at Sunset on his Flag Ship Grand Saint Louis . His dad was Marshall of France General Urbain de Maillé-Brézé married Miss Nicole du Plessis-Richelieu only sister of Cardinal Richelieu ...Armand Jean du Plessis, cardinal-duc de Richelieu et de Fronsac .

Site of the Battle ( Orbetello) of Isola del Giglio was near the Friday, a.d. Jan.13th 2012 17 Decked SHIP Costa Concordia Crashed (no deck 13) .
May GOD Bless US of America !
eh..what did ya say?
+ <:><~~

I know we can/may all agree to disagree on cruising but provide learning opportunities for all.

((\/))
Our Ocean current, Favorite's ( Favourite's) Cruise Lines are:Cunard/HAL

Our next Ship Trip now is

*Having quality is so much nicer than quantity at a much lower value.* eCommerce with a conscience!*((\/))