Princess Check-in @ The Pier (what’s your MO?)

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:57 PM.
Diablo, California
1,718 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Just curious, do you check in early to beat the crowds and enjoy an early lunch or leisurely stroll on as the deadline time nears and saunter to Crooners for a welcome aboard cocktail?

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
" I No Longer Know If I Wish To Drown Myself In Love, Vodka or the Sea"

Davidson, NC
1,409 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Always try to go early to beat the rush and get on board to have lunch either in the dining room or Alfredos. I'm always anxious to get my cruise started as soon as possible.
401 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
DO NOT GO EARLY OR YOU WILL SIT IN A STUFFY ROOM WITH SEVERAL HUNDRED OTHER PEOPLE TILL NOON

We get thereabout 12:15 and are in our room by 12:30 then down to lunch at 12:45
WA state
2,954 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Depends on the port as to what time you'll load and how stuffy the room is. Some have more space than others and some let you load earlier than others. Also depends on whether you have priority boarding of one sort or another as to how soon you'll get on.

Tom
Lake Stevens, WA
1,215 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
There's always the "crowded day at Vancouver" version: sit in a crowded room for two hours waiting to check in, then another hour in the security line.

Let's just say I'm not in a hurry to do a one-day sailing out of Vancouver again any time soon...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Star Princess - LA to Vancouver: May 2003, Eastern Caribbean: April 2005, SF to Vancouver: May 2015
Ruby Princess - Eastern Caribbean: March 2011 (Review)
Sapphire Princess - Vancouver to Seattle 1-day: May 2011, Coastal Repo: September 2011
Crown Princess - Southern Caribbean: January 2012, December 2017 (Planned)
Island Princess - LA to Vancouver: May 2013
Emerald Princess - Southern Caribbean Medley: December 2013, Vancouver to Seattle 1-day: May 2017
Golden Princess - Alaska Inside Passage: September 2014
Vision of the Seas - Western Caribbean: April 2016
Arizona
3,159 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
We usually book longer cruises and arrive a couple of days early. So, "getting started" to us isn't as important as avoiding waiting a while to board. Even though we're eligible for preferred boarding, we still dislike waiting around. We'll take a late checkout from our hotel and saunter over to the pier around 1:30PM to 2:30PM depending on how late boarding goes. We typically breeze right through check-in and initial boarding. No need to rush to the MDR (it's closed anyway) or the buffet although hitting Crooners or an on-deck bar is a great way to kick off the cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Emerald Princess - B2B Norway and Grand Mediterranean - 2016
Ocean Princess Final Voyage - Grand South America 2016; Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera - 2015
Royal Princess - Eastern Caribbean - 2014; Ruby Princess - Canada and Colonial America - 2014;
Ocean Princess - Singapore to Dover around Africa - 2014; Dawn Princess - Australia, Indonesia and New Zealand - 2013
Sapphire Princess - Los Angeles, Hawaii, Samoa, Tahiti, Los Angeles - 2012; Golden Princess - RT from Seattle to Alaska - 2012
Diamond Princess - Singapore to YVR 2012; Emerald Princess - Caribbean 2010-2011
Coral Princess - FLL - YVR plus Alaska RT 2010; Star Princess - South America and Antarctica 2009
Costa Classica - Genoa to Venice 2008; Costa Fortuna - Caribbean 2008
Costa Atlantica - Eastern Med 2006; Norwegian Dream - Baltic 2004
Norwegian Dream - Miami to Rome 2003; Norwegian Wind - HNL to YVR 2002
Norwegian Wind - Caribbean 2001; Celebrity Zenith - Caribbean 1996
Norwegian Windward (now the Wind) - So Cal Coastal 1993; Carnival Jubilee - Mexican Riviera
Carnival Festivale - Eastern Caribbean 1988
Land of Bad Comedy
3,144 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
1) Get a late checkout from the hotel

2) Go to lunch at a local restaurant. (Yes, I can afford to buy a lunch instead of lunch on the ship)

3) If I know someone at the pier (Crew, Passenger, Port Staff), call them to see if boarding is on time.

4) Walk straight onto the ship around 2;30 pm without issue. Go later, if there is a problem with boarding.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
It tastes like chicken.
ca
72 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Cruised out of San Francisco last July. Stepped out of cab at 12:00 walked into our cabin at 12:30, hope things go as well in December
12,901 Posts
Joined Apr 2001
We usually check in early. I want to savor every minute in anticipation of boarding. I don't mind waiting and have met lots of other nice passengers that way. What a better crowd to hang with for awhile?!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Princess Elite, RCI Diamond, Celebrity Elite, Cunard Platinum, Azamara Discoverer - 42 Completed Cruises so far
Upcoming Booked Cruises:
2018: Crown Princess, Emerald Princess & Azamara Quest

2019: Ruby Princess, Royal Princess & one other
And possibly another couple cruises in between those above!
Maine
1,045 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Get to the port about 10:45. Get in the suite/priority area. Board with the first group. We don't always go to embarkation lunch in the MDR (though occasionally we do). It's more about savoring all our time on board.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Cruising,
Doreen

Previous Cruises
6/2010 - Alaska - Island Princess
5/2011 - TA & Med - Ruby Princess
4/2012 - TA & British Isles - Grand Princess
2/2013 - Hawaii - Sapphire Princess
9/2014 - Caribbean B2B - Caribbean Princess
3/2015 - Western Caribbean - Emerald Princess
9/2016 - Mexican Riviera - Grand Princess
3/2017 - Caribbean B2B - Crown Princess
Washington State
2,875 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
I like to get on the ship as early as possible. We try to arrive around 10:30am. It's no big deal sitting in the terminal for a bit. That's part of the excitement. When they start calling out boarding numbers I feel that the cruise has really begun.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Explorer of the Seas (Pacific Coastal) - 10/16 ... Photos ... Compasses
Ruby Princess (Sea of Cortez) - 3/16 ... Photos ... Patters
Star Princess (Hawaii) - 3/14 ... Photos ... Patters
Coral Princess (Panama Canal) - 4/12 ... Photos ... Patters
Golden Princess (Alaska) - 6/11 ... Photos ... Patters
Golden Princess (Hawaii) - 1/11 ... Photos ... Patters
Mariner of the Seas (Mexico) - 12/09 ... Photos ... Compasses
Sapphire Princess (Mexico) - 2/09 ... Photos ... Patters
Star Princess (Alaska) - 5/08 ... Photos ... Patters
Dawn Princess (Caribbean) - 4/05 ... Photos ... Patters
Rhapsody of the Seas (Mexico) -1/01 ... Compasses
Carnival Holiday (Mexico) - 1/99 ... Capers
RCCL Song of America (Mexico) - 3/97 ... Compasses
Carnival Imagination (Caribbean) - 4/96 ... Capers
Celebrity Meridian (Caribbean) - 3/94 ...Photos ... Dailies
NCL Southward (Mexico) - 7/93 ... Dailies
Carnival Jubilee (Mexico) - 2/91 ... Photos ... Capers
56 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
I'm with NeverBeen. I don't worry about grabbing lunch on board.

I get to the pier around 2 p.m., go straight to the check in, go through security, board right away. I'm on board in plenty of time to go to the Safety At Sea Drill. Some day I'll take the time to grab a hot dog to go with the Mustard Drill. (Sorry, I can never resist!)
Chelsea MA
4,194 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
Originally posted by Sea Hag
Our strategy is simple: go early, get on early.
I agree we always go early. Most of the time it’s around 11:30 am.
Tony
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

7 Posts
Joined Nov 2017
Anytime before 4 o'clock is a good idea as far as I am concerned. If I get there early I relax and talk with people in the terminal knowing that nothing terrible happened to delay our arrival and that eventually we'll get on board.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Forums mobile app
pa
7,202 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
We have done both, but our preference is early. We don't enjoy sitting around the hotel until the noon checkout time. Rather be on the move and wait at the pier. We don't find it difficult. We are on board pretty quickly once boarding begins. We unpack our carry ons, usually grab something at the International Cafe or by the pool. Once our checked luggage arrives we unpack and we're set.
Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
899 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
Early!!

We like to start enjoying the ship as soon as possible!! Every minute counts for us We start at the international cafe, drop our carry ons, then head for the pool! By the time muster comes we've relaxed some and started to unwind and thaw out as we usually travel during the kids' March Break and its cold at home!
As there are 4 of us, I like to start unpacking before dinner and getting on early means our luggage usually arrives very early to allow me to start the process. Its day 1 of our vacation! We don't want to delay the start any longer than necessary!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
.... ( Cruisintoddler-the "toddler" and her brother are now both teens!)
Royal Princess Mar 10 / 18 - 10 nites Southern Car // Caribbean Princess July 7 / 18 - 7 nites east Car

Royal Princess Mar 10 / 17 -10 nites East Car
Royal Princess Mar 13 / 16 - 10 nites East Car --- Regal Princess B2B Mar 8 & 15 / 15 - 14 nites East Car
Emerald Princess Mar 9 / 14 - 10 nite East Car --- Emerald Princess Nov 17 / 12 - 10 nites East Car
Ruby Princess Nov 27 / 11 - 7 nites East Car --- Emerald Princess - Dec 18 / 10 - 10 nites East Car
Carnival Miracle - Nov 4 / 09 - 8 nites South Car --- RCI Serenade Aug 23 / 08 - 7 nites Alaska
Carnival Victory April 13 / 08 - 7 nites East Car --- Star Princess Apr 21 / 07 - 7 nites West Car
Caribbean Princess Oct 29 / 06 - 7 nites East Car
RCI Jewel of the Seas April 22 / 06 - 8 nites East Car (all 4 of us from now on!)
Grand Princess Oct 2001 Eastern Caribbean - 7 nites (2 of us plus DD)
Carnival Fantasy May 19, 1996 Bahamas - 4 nites (just 2 of us - no kids yet )
Central California
506 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Early! It's counted as day one of the cruise. We feel we miss out on a day if we are not on board as early as possible.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature