Collecting for a Cunard Memory Box

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:28 AM.
Vale of Glamorgan
3,560 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by jimmybean
I'm not sure there will be invitation to Captain's party until second Cunard voyage ???

Sometimes, they don't ask for cruise card when we disembark, so we have saved a few of these.

Happy Sailing!
The Captain's welcome reception is open to everyone but I don't think invitations are generally sent. The World Club parties do have invitations but you don't get one first time round.

They do not collect your cruise card anymore you are free to keep it.

I generally keep everything, I have a slightly overflowing wooden box which needs a serious tidy up !
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

Please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
Vale of Glamorgan
3,560 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by pepperrn
Thank you EastCoastLilac,
photos can be found here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperr...57624111745617
or via the link below,
I hope you like the model.
That's amazing, I don't suppose he accepts commissions ??
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
At Sea
5,297 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by Host Hattie
That's amazing, I don't suppose he accepts commissions ??
He'd be very flattered by that thought , thank you.

(He's a few years older now, but still making models; recently a dock scene, pier and "sea" for a neighbour's amateur model-railway group).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pepper........... (Cunard & QM2; "It is not the only way to cross, but it is the only way to cross")
QM2 - QE - QV - QE2 - interiors. QM2 cabin photos & ship tour. Crossings & Cruises - photographs here . . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/sets/
...over 3.5 million visits, thank you.
Sailed: QM2, QE, QV, QE2. Booked: QE, ...
27 Posts
Joined Sep 2015
Hi, Wanted to say that on my first crossing, I asked the steward about getting the menus and she looked at me as if I had three eyes. She said no one had ever asked for menus and thought it was odd.

I didn't appreciate that reply, but she said she would see if it was possible, so I left it at that.

On the last night of the trip, she brought me photocopies of all menus except for the first night (which was the best one for me of the week) and although the photocopies were not what I expected, I thanked her and packed them.

Other things I saved were the daily programmes, the newspapers, pen, postcard, magazine, notepad, napkins, and the nightly chocolates.

On that crossing the Gift Shop was fully stocked and so I bought a few things I saw at the time for myself and for gifts.

I also kept the receipts for onboard purchases, and had a chance to look at them for something or other a month ago. The ink had faded so badly, I could barely read them.

Back in the 1950's my Mother sailed on Cunard and I have her Passenger List. Times have changed from when all passengers were named in a booklet for everyone else to peruse.

When my Nana sailed back to Britain I went up to NYC to see her off. I got a toy model of the ship, which I still have today, although it's damaged.

Way back then, you could board the ship to say goodbye, before waving from the dock as they sailed out of sight.

When the gong was rung and the shout went out, "All ashore whose going ashore!" I took off like a rocket, thinking I had to high tail it out of there. So funny and so young.

I still remember (seemed to me a young girl) the rickety wood gangplank. So cautious to walk on it, as you could see the river through the spaces.

I think I saved a few other things, but most of all the memories of my first crossing, sea sickness and all.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Looking forward to First Transatlantic Crossing on QM2! It's nearly boarding time

Enjoyed it so much that have now crossed Three Times in two years!!!
4,397 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
Originally posted by pepperrn
Thank you EastCoastLilac,
photos can be found here:
www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/albums/72157624111745617
or via the link below,
I hope you like the model.
Amazing, Pepper! What painstaking detail! What a treasure to have, not only for the excellent model of a ship meaningful to you, but because your father made it.

Kudos to him!

Ricki
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

4,397 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
My travel boxes are filled to overflowing, but here's what I try to save from a cruise:
1. Maybe one menu, otherwise you just end up with one too many.
2. A postcard of the ship.
3. The itinerary page, either printed from the internet, or in the cruise line newsletter, or clipped from a glossy brochure.
4. A cocktail napkin (from the first cruise on that line.) Ditto, a swizzle stick, if they are still using them.
5. Invitations.
6. Note pad from the cabin, and the stationary with our name on it, if it is provided.
7. The first and last cruise daily program.
8. Handouts from the tours on the ship (first time only) galley tour, behind the scenes, etc.
9. Lots of photos! New friends, favorite crew, staff and officers, etc. I always try to take a photo of the cabin before we start living in it, with the cabin number. I especially take a photo of the bathroom and closet space for my reference and to help someone out who is curious about size and storage.

I'm sure I have gathered more...

Hope this helps.

Ricki
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cambridge, Ontario
179 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
My Mum immigrant on the Queen Mary in 1948. She still has her memory box full of menus and alike. The food has changed a lot since then.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Nanci and John

Carnival Destiny - Caribbean 2000
Norwegian Dawn - Caribbean 2003
Carnival Spirit - Alaska 2005
HAL Zuiderdam Caribbean 2006
Norwegian Pearl - Caribbean 2007
Cunard Queen Victoria - Western Med 2009
MSC Poesia - Caribbean 2010
Paul Gauguin -Cook & Society Islands 2010
Celebrity Infinity - South America 2011
Windstar Surf - Caribbean 2012
Celebrity Solstice - Eastern Med 2012
Celebrity Millennium - South Asia 2013
Windstar Wind Star - Southern Caribbean 2014
Celebrity Reflection - Greece/Turkey 2014
Regent Voyageur - Singapore to Dubai 2015
Azamara Quest - Australia to Bali 2016
HAL ms Prinsendam - Baltic 2016
HAL Zuiderdam - Iceland & Greenland 2016
NCL Getaway - Mexico 2016
Azamara Quest - Costa Rica to San Diego 2017
Carnival Elation - Bahamas 2018 Booked
Regent Navigator - Asia to Africa 2018 Booked
Crystal Bach - Rhine Christmas Markets 2018 Booked
Azamara Journey - Oslo to Edinburgh 2019 Booked
Regent Explorer - Buenos Aries to Los Angeles 2019 booked

Vale of Glamorgan
3,560 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by 10-7
My Mum immigrant on the Queen Mary in 1948. She still has her memory box full of menus and alike. The food has changed a lot since then.

I can imagine ! That must be an amazing part of your family history, how lovely that she kept things.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

29 Posts
Joined Nov 2016
Cunard used to send out Berlitz guides for the particular cruise and during the cruise for each passenger a Rosenthal dish with a map of the itinerary. On one occasion we even received on our return home a ship in a bottle. We still have maps of the Amazon which the Captain on one cruise sent to our son as he had to give a presentation to his class about his cruise. We had left the ship in Manaus and they needed them for the return, but when we arrived home there was a message from the Captain to say they were on their way.
Inverness, Scotland
844 Posts
Joined Mar 2002
Originally posted by Elephant1151
Cunard used to send out Berlitz guides for the particular cruise...
I'd forgotten about them. We still have lots of them filed away somewhere.

...a Rosenthal dish with a map of the itinerary...
and a few of those as well.

When Vistafjord was being converted to Caronia we were told to help ourselves to the big leather information folders from the cabin. They were even giving away brand new ones still in their wrapping if you wanted one. Leather wine list folders, silver NAC cruet sets, if it said Vistafjord or NAC you could have it. Logo items in the shop were mostly $1. I think all our relatives got a Vistafjord watch that year.

It was a similar story when Caronia was going to Saga. Anything that said, or had the Cunard logo was going in the skip when we reached Southampton. Having done six cruises in the same cabin over the years, I came home with the cabin number from the corridor wall. It's now mounted on our bedroom door.

And, yes, there are boxes in the attic filled with menus, daily programmes, port info sheets, receipts............

Regards, Colin.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Inverness, Scotland
844 Posts
Joined Mar 2002
Originally posted by EastCoastLilac
Back in the 1950's my Mother sailed on Cunard and I have her Passenger List. Times have changed from when all passengers were named in a booklet for everyone else to peruse.
I have a couple of those from the 90's and one from 2004. So they didn't disappear as long ago as most people think.

They were really handy if you have a memory like mine for names.

Regards, Colin.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
27 Posts
Joined Sep 2015
Originally posted by Colin_Cameron
I have a couple of those from the 90's and one from 2004. So they didn't disappear as long ago as most people think.

They were really handy if you have a memory like mine for names.

Regards, Colin.
That's interesting, I did think passenger lists were a thing of history. They are handy for people researching ancestry, seeing lists on who came over on which ship from a century ago.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Looking forward to First Transatlantic Crossing on QM2! It's nearly boarding time

27 Posts
Joined Sep 2015
Originally posted by Host Hattie
The Captain's welcome reception is open to everyone but I don't think invitations are generally sent. The World Club parties do have invitations but you don't get one first time round.

They do not collect your cruise card anymore you are free to keep it.

I generally keep everything, I have a slightly overflowing wooden box which needs a serious tidy up !
I don't know why, but we were invited to both reception and party on the first and subsequent crossings, it was a nice surprise.

I kept the cruise cards, too.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature