What's in a name? (For Cunard's new ship)

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:26 AM.
48 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Originally posted by ace2542
I can see the 4th ship doing transatlantic crossing during the time period of the Queen Mary 2 world cruise or maybe the Victoria doing transatlantic sailings and the new ship doing a world cruise with 3 ships doing world cruise.
I’d imagine if they wanted to extend the transatlantic season they’d take the time off QM2’s world cruise - why go to the expense of building a dedicated liner and then not use her for Atlantic crossings? Especially as those crossings would be in the stormier winter where her better seakeeping abilities would be put to most use! The QV and QE do crossings now only as a part of a larger cruise route that requires it, they don’t go across to New York and turn around and come back again.
121 Posts
Joined Nov 2016
Originally posted by SilverHengroen
I’d imagine if they wanted to extend the transatlantic season they’d take the time off QM2’s world cruise - why go to the expense of building a dedicated liner and then not use her for Atlantic crossings? Especially as those crossings would be in the stormier winter where her better seakeeping abilities would be put to most use! The QV and QE do crossings now only as a part of a larger cruise route that requires it, they don’t go across to New York and turn around and come back again.
The 4th vessel will be the second largest in the fleet larger than the Elizabeth and Victoria but smaller than the Mary. We will wait to see their move. There are any number of ways it could go.
120 Posts
Joined Dec 2013
The entire world will be her oyster.

I think the obvious choice will be Queen Anne.

I'm guessing Queen Camila is not timely.

Dark horse candidate is Queen Eleanor (of Aquitaine).

Most creative candidate is Queen Eadgifu (c904–after 966)

They could go in another direction: Queen of Anglia, Queen of Australia, Queen of India, Queen of Britannia, Queen of Canada, Queen of the Seas, my personal favorite, Queen of Boaty McBoatface, you get the idea.
121 Posts
Joined Nov 2016
Queen Anne is a good name though sad to say the queen will probably be dead by then so that might open up another couple of possibilities
Connecticut
12,346 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Or perhaps reach a bit further back and go for Queen Boadicea.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Six US Navy ships,
25+ cruises: Orient (1), Holland America (12), Norwegian (6), Carnival (1), Princess (1), Celebrity (3), Cunard (2), Royal Caribbean (1) - (1996-2017).
Coming up: Royal Caribbean, January 2018
Boca Raton, Florida
2,913 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
QEII will be gone by 2022? Not if she takes after her mother! Otherwise, I like Berengaria. Of course the original was actually, first, the German Imperator (but you all know that). Frankly, I think the proposed external design for this ship is cruise ship / apartment block hideous. Just stick a Carnivore or HAL funnel on it!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Best regards,

Lou Betti
Boca Raton, FL