P&O sold Adonia but will not give us our deposits back on a Back to Back cruise.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:30 AM.
Sunderland England
5,159 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by jake 26
Some sweeping statements here Teddy123.
The fact that P&O have a clause that excludes compensation for consequential loss does not legally 'allow actions' if it is unfair to the consumer, no matter if the consumer accepted the terms and conditions when booking. The consumer did not have the opportunity to negotiate the terms of the contract so the contract, to be valid, has to be equally fair to both sides. I refer you to the Consumer Rights Act 2015 (formerly the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts 1999).

You state 'Any claim would depend on proving the relevant clause were invalid'. You certainly do not have to prove that. There is a procedure by which you claim recompense for loss.
1) You write to the company stating your claim with supporting evidence.
2) If the reply is unsatisfactory you write a 'formal letter of pre court action' outlining your case and the amount you are claiming, and also offering them mediation to settle the matter if they so wish.
3) It there is no resolution ( and in many cases the company will settle if the claim is fair ) then there is a simple application form for recompense which you send to the Claims Court. Details of that are available on line.
It is up to the Court to consider whether you have been treated unfairly and decide the outcome. If the company fails to defend the action then the applicant wins by default.

I have used the process (against P&O) and they settled after the formal letter. The cost of it is minimal, in my case 3 first class stamps.

It rather appears from recent posts that they are considering compensation for incurred losses because of their action, so they will know that they are on unsafe ground if they hide behind their Clause 42. The last thing they will want is a successful court judgement against them.
Fantastic informative post.
Lets hope everyone concerned reads this and acts accordingly.
Batehaven, Australia
10,083 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Good comments and great advice from Jake 26 and others. Thankyou.

Rang my T/A today which is probably the largest cruise T/A in Australia, is also in UK. As of Monday morning 2 October, they had not been formally notified by P&O re sale/cancellation, so will do nothing at this stage, despite me forwarding them the P&O FB age relevant to Adonia sale to Azamara. And so it goes on. The longer the cruise companies and T/A's have your deposits, the more interest money I suppose.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES - Princess Captains Circle Elite. - 460 days.

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Last cruise: Queen Mary 2 - Sydney - HK, 16 nights, 2 - 18 March 2017.

**Next: (We were booked on Adonia x 2, but they sold the ship on us.)
Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..
Sapphire Princess - 2 June 2018, Baltic Heritage, ex Southampton - 14 nights.
Royal Princess - 18 June 2018 - British Isles, ex Southampton - 12 nights.

'Adventure before Dementia - Live for Today !!'
bucks
643 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by NSWP
Good comments and great advice from Jake 26 and others. Thankyou.

Rang my T/A today which is probably the largest cruise T/A in Australia, is also in UK. As of Monday morning 2 October, they had not been formally notified by P&O re sale/cancellation, so will do nothing at this stage, despite me forwarding them the P&O FB age relevant to Adonia sale to Azamara. And so it goes on. The longer the cruise companies and T/A's have your deposits, the more interest money I suppose.
I think that's quite shameful
Refunds should have been processed automatically.
I don't have the time to sit on the phone to P&O so I emailed them yesterday. Though I booked through an agent, when I spoke to my agent on Thursday night they had only a generic letter from P&O - nothing individual about any particular client. Nor have I had anything from P&O direct (though they have sent their automated emails to me about booking trips etc so they do have my details)

I have now booked a cruise with Fred Olsen to try them as I prefer smaller ships. Luckily I had enough funds to pay that deposit as P&O seem to want to hold on to my deposit with them for as long as possible
Sunderland England
5,159 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by gadabout60
I think that's quite shameful
Refunds should have been processed automatically.
I don't have the time to sit on the phone to P&O so I emailed them yesterday. Though I booked through an agent, when I spoke to my agent on Thursday night they had only a generic letter from P&O - nothing individual about any particular client. Nor have I had anything from P&O direct (though they have sent their automated emails to me about booking trips etc so they do have my details)

I have now booked a cruise with Fred Olsen to try them as I prefer smaller ships. Luckily I had enough funds to pay that deposit as P&O seem to want to hold on to my deposit with them for as long as possible
They are probably hoping people will transfer their deposits​ for another P&O cruise.
bucks
643 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Despite fear of retribution from CC administrators I am going to name and shame all of the cruise industry operators involved in this disgraceful mess, re my lost cruises D812/D813

Carnival Corp - owners of P&O UK and Adonia
P&O UK Operators of Adonia
P&O Australia With whom my agent did reservation with and P&O passed it on to P&O UK
Cruise 1st Australia (my booking agent) - parent company Cruise 1st UK - Sunshine holidays UK, who could be more proactive and are just sitting on their backsides.

As has been said, automatic processing of refunds should be happening, not us customers doing all the work.
Hilarious email back from P&O with some spelling errors in it pointing out that as I used a cruise agent if I want to cancel my booking they have to cancel it not me. As far as I am concerned P&O are the ones cancelling the booking - not me.

(I do of course take the point about the agent)
Scotland
2,538 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Having visited our TA today we were informed by TA our refund of deposit was sent to our TA last Friday. Good job we visited today or wonder when we would have been informed by TA that P&O had authorised deposit to be returned back into my account. Hope everyone else had a speedy return of deposit.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
HAPPY CRUSING

Previous Cruises

1994-95-96 Cunard Countess Caribbean
1997 Thomson Emerald Caribbean
1998 Thomson Med
1999 Royal Caribbean Caribbean
2000 Princess Grand Princess Caribbean

2001 Costa Victoria Caribean
2002 F000 Adonia West Med
2003 R312 Aurora Med 2003 E000Caribbean
2004 E404 Oceana Caribbean
2005 F503 Adonia Panama Canal
2006 E604 Oceana Canary Islands
2006J611Arcadia Central Med 2006 J622 Arcadia Canary 2007 E704 Oceana Caribbean
2007 X707 Oriana Med 2007 E726 Oceana Canary Ils 2008 A000Costa Costa Victoria UAE 2008 2008 X801 Oriana Australia 2008 J818 Arcadia West Med 2008 N128 Ventura Carib 2009 A000 Costa UAE 2010 A000Sun Pincess Australia 2009 A000CunardQueen Victoria Central Med 2009 J908 Arcadia Canaries 2009 A000 Sea Princess Car. 2010 R004 Aurora Central Med 2011 E107 Oceana Canaries 2011 R107 Aurora West Med 2011 N128 Ventura Car 2012 A205A Azura Caribbean 2012 N227A Ventura Caribbean 2013 [color=black][size=1]
[color="Black"]N327 Ventura Transatlantic 2013
N328 Ventura Caribbean 2013
N405 Ventura Caribbean
Azura A428Oct 2014 A428 Transatlantic
Azura A429 Nov2014 A428A Caribbean
Britannia B524A 2015 Transatlantic Caribbean
Britannia B525 2015 Caribbean
Azura A605A 2016 Caribbean

FUTURE CRUISE
Adonia D715P August 2017 Med
Azura A734A December 2017 Caribbean

TUI Discovery 2 April 2018 TA/Caribbean
Adonia D822 Oct 2018 TA/Caribbean

There are big ships and small ships but the best ships are friendships

We are all travellers in the wilderness of this world,and the bestwe can find in our travels is an honest friend
bucks
643 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by HELEN HENRY
Having visited our TA today we were informed by TA our refund of deposit was sent to our TA last Friday. Good job we visited today or wonder when we would have been informed by TA that P&O had authorised deposit to be returned back into my account. Hope everyone else had a speedy return of deposit.
Still waiting
Batehaven, Australia
10,083 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by HELEN HENRY
As of this morning, Wed 4/10, my T/A has not been informed of sale of Adonia and subsequent cancellation of our two cruises. Well only informed by me, and that is good not enough. The T/A wants formal notification from P&O but has not got it yet.

As as I said before, this has been handled badly by those who we had faith in and who gladly took our large cruise deposits.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..

Tasmania, Australia
672 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
As of this morning, Wed 4/10, my T/A has not been informed of sale of Adonia and subsequent cancellation of our two cruises. Well only informed by me, and that is good not enough. The T/A wants formal notification from P&O but has not got it yet.

As as I said before, this has been handled badly by those who we had faith in and who gladly took our large cruise deposits.
Still the same with ours too, so badly handled
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Avalon Panorama, Magnificent Europe, Budapest to Amsterdam August 15 -29th 2012
Avalon Scenery, Grand France , Cote D'Azur to Paris, 30th June - 8th July 2014
Avalon Creativity, Grand France, Paris-Normandy Beaches-Paris, 8th - 15th July 2014
HAL Oosterdam, Mediterranean Dream , Venice to Rome , 17th -29th June 2016
P&O Adonia, France and Spain, 3rd June - 19th June 2018 CANCELLED(SHIP SOLD)
P&O Arcadia Spain, Italy & Monaco - 28th May -14th June 2018
derbyshire uk
8 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Hilarious email back from P&O with some spelling errors in it pointing out that as I used a cruise agent if I want to cancel my booking they have to cancel it not me. As far as I am concerned P&O are the ones cancelling the booking - not me.

(I do of course take the point about the agent)
My T/A had received my refund but could not refund me UNTIL I CANCELLED a Adonia cruise already cancelled P&O. Whilst awaiting the refund I have been informed "THE REFUND WILL BE MADE WITHOUT CHARGE"
bucks
643 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by eritnas
My T/A had received my refund but could not refund me UNTIL I CANCELLED a Adonia cruise already cancelled P&O. Whilst awaiting the refund I have been informed "THE REFUND WILL BE MADE WITHOUT CHARGE"
I am still waiting on my refund.
But I agree that it us galling to be told that the passenger or their agent must cancel the booking - P&O CANCELLED THE BOOKING
Sunderland England
5,159 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
I am still waiting on my refund.
But I agree that it us galling to be told that the passenger or their agent must cancel the booking - P&O CANCELLED THE BOOKING
This sounds a very strange thing P&O are requesting.
Batehaven, Australia
10,083 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
My agent contacted me today by E Mail, P&O are forwarding a letter soon, with my options. No options as far as I am concerned, I just want my deposit refund.

As for gadabout60's post, agent/pax to cancel, don't do it or you will probably be hit with a cancellation fee. In this instance it is the responsibility of the carrier P&O to cancel the booking without penalty. That is the way I see it anyway. I mean, no ship - no cruise !!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Tasmania, Australia
672 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
My agent contacted me today by E Mail, P&O are forwarding a letter soon, with my options. No options as far as I am concerned, I just want my deposit refund.

As for gadabout60's post, agent/pax to cancel, don't do it or you will probably be hit with a cancellation fee. In this instance it is the responsibility of the carrier P&O to cancel the booking without penalty. That is the way I see it anyway. I mean, no ship - no cruise !!!
We actually received an email from P&O today...... it took them long enough, they refer to a letter they sent me , not received. A$250 (approx 150 pounds) each future cruise credit, if we dont book another cruise by 27th October our deposit will be credited back to us.
We still havent made definite plans yet, but its looking like Arcadia J805, so we'll use the credit, theres just not any others that fit in our time frame
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Avalon Panorama, Magnificent Europe, Budapest to Amsterdam August 15 -29th 2012
Avalon Scenery, Grand France , Cote D'Azur to Paris, 30th June - 8th July 2014
Avalon Creativity, Grand France, Paris-Normandy Beaches-Paris, 8th - 15th July 2014
HAL Oosterdam, Mediterranean Dream , Venice to Rome , 17th -29th June 2016
P&O Adonia, France and Spain, 3rd June - 19th June 2018 CANCELLED(SHIP SOLD)
P&O Arcadia Spain, Italy & Monaco - 28th May -14th June 2018
Batehaven, Australia
10,083 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by tassietravellers
We actually received an email from P&O today...... it took them long enough, they refer to a letter they sent me , not received. A$250 (approx 150 pounds) each future cruise credit, if we dont book another cruise by 27th October our deposit will be credited back to us.
We still havent made definite plans yet, but its looking like Arcadia J805, so we'll use the credit, theres just not any others that fit in our time frame
Got the same E Mail from P&O World Cruising which is Carnival Australia. No letter received. And then they only mentioned 1 cruise and we deposited on 2.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Batehaven, Australia
10,083 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Well, sorry to bore you again, but here we are 5 weeks after announcement of Adonia sale and cancellation of booked cruises. Still not received our deposits back for Adonia cruises D812/D813, despite pleas to our agent and P&O. I don't want to transfer deposit to another P&O Cruise I said, just refund my almost $2000 deposits.!

So, any other cancelled Adonia cruisers out there still awaiting their deposits?

As I said before this is a disaster.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sunderland England
5,159 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Well, sorry to bore you again, but here we are 5 weeks after announcement of Adonia sale and cancellation of booked cruises. Still not received our deposits back for Adonia cruises D812/D813, despite pleas to our agent and P&O. I don't want to transfer deposit to another P&O Cruise I said, just refund my almost $2000 deposits.!

So, any other cancelled Adonia cruisers out there still awaiting their deposits?

Thanks for the update.
Scotland
778 Posts
Joined Aug 2012

What are P&O actually saying to you, are they giving any intelligent reason why? It is your money and they should have returned it long before now.
Isle Of Man
10 Posts
Joined Feb 2011

Got ours sorted eventually but they insisted on cancellation invoices for flights/hotels even though we'd sent the original bookings which clearly stated they were non refundable but wouldn't reimburse us without them being cancelled

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Batehaven, Australia
10,083 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Well here we are again, still awaiting our Adonia refunds due to sale of ship, more than 6 weeks after announcement of sale to Azamara.

After several enquiries with P&O and our agent..the latest story is...P&O held onto our almost $2000 deposits until after 27 October, hoping we would transfer our deposits to another cruise, no sir, I said, please send it back to us. Then last week I contact P&O again, they tell me they are sending it 'this week to our agent.' So last Friday, my agent contacts me and says 'can we have your bank details so as we can refund your deposits'. So I did. Tuesday, get the same request. Today, am still waiting, so I contact agent yesterday and they say 'our finance dept is working on your refund.' Now if I was on a ship right now I would jump overboard.

I trust all the other thousands of Adonia cruisers who had their cruises cancelled have received their deposits back by now.

So for us, bye bye P&O, bye bye Agent (when we get our deposits back !!) As I said a month or so ago, all a shambles.

So I might let you know when we get our money, if I am still on the planet.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature