Emerald docking location in Los Angeles

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:55 PM.
USA
4,397 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
We'll be on a California coastal cruise next May, 2018, embarking on the Emerald in Los Angeles. We plan to arrive a couple days early and would like to know where the ship might dock. Any suggestions for a hotel to stay in? We'd like to see Hollywood and any other fun touristy things to do.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Life's Milestones are Best Celebrated in Nautical Miles.

Oceania Insignia 1-2019 (World Cruise - 161 days)
Ruby Princess 9-2018 (Seattle-Vancouver - 1 day) **Elite**
Ruby Princess 9-2018 (Northern California Coastal - 7 days)
Oceania Insignia 12-2017 (Cuba - 7 days)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regal Princess 11-2017 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)
Caribbean Princess 3-2017 (Southern Caribbean - 8 days)
Celebrity Silhouette 8-2016 (British Isles, Guernsey, Belgium, Amsterdam - 14 days)
Grand Princess 11-2015 (Hawaii - 15 days)

Celebrity Infinity 10-2014 (TA - England, Azores, Bermuda, Bahamas - 14 days)
Celebrity Reflection 3-2014 (Eastern Caribbean - 7 days)
Crown Princess 7-2013 (Baltics/Russia - 14 days)
Emerald Princess 3-2012 (Eastern Caribbean - 10 days)
Caribbean Princess 6-2011 (Canada/New England - 9 days)
Crown Princess 9-2010 (TA - British Isles, Iceland, Greenland, Canada - 14 days)
Coral Princess 12-2008 (Full Panama Canal, Central America, Mexico - 14 days)
Sun Princess 9-2007 (Alaska - 7 days)
Carnival Paradise 9-2003 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)
Carnival Fantasy 1-1990 (Bahamas - 4 days)
Carnival Holiday 12-1989 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)

SoCal
10,094 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by Go-Bucks!
We'll be on a California coastal cruise next May, 2018, embarking on the Emerald in Los Angeles. We plan to arrive a couple days early and would like to know where the ship might dock. Any suggestions for a hotel to stay in? We'd like to see Hollywood and any other fun touristy things to do.
Well, Princess typically uses San Pedro for "Los Angeles" cruises.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
DCLHAL CarnivalPrincess Vantage
21 Cruises, 13 ships, 202 nights

Aliso Viejo, CA
41,929 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Originally posted by Shmoo here
Well, Princess typically uses San Pedro for "Los Angeles" cruises.
Considering San Pedro is in Los Angeles, that’s a correct description.

The World Cruise Center in the Port Of Los Angeles, San Pedro is relatively small. Any hotel in San Pedro such as the DoubleTree or Crowne Plaza is near the port. The Crowne Plaza is one of the hotels closest to the piers.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-- Pam Email (to be my friend on Facebook, email me. ) PLEASE identify yourself with your Cruise Critic name.

Boston. Strong.

* Me ziplining across Victoria Falls: https://plus.google.com/photos/10147...83463276981969
* Safari photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1014740...eat=directlink

Upcoming:

Star Princess: 11/14/17 Hawaii

Ruby Princess: 2/26/18 5-day Cabo
Emerald Princess: 4/27/18 12-day Alaska LA <> LA
Regal Princess: 11/1/18 10-day NY > FLL

Royal Princess: 4/27/19 Mexican Riviera
Royal Princess: 5/4/19 CA Coastal LA > Vancouver
Chico, California
9,549 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
We are booked into Crowne Plaza tomorrow night. We sail the next day. We stayed there last time we sailed out of San Pedro as well. Book through Priceline and it costs a lot less than booking directly with the hotel.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thrak

Not Elite but having fun working on it...

So CAL
3,400 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
LAX-Hollywood-San Pedro...think three points on a triangle. No public transportation from either spot. Decide on what "touristy" things you would like to do. Decide really how many days you are planning to book. Day 1 and Last day don't count because they are transition days.

Southern California is huge without a car. With a car, you have to deal with traffic. I would suggest prioritizing your activities. Each activity will probably take you at least a half a day or more.

There is very little "sight-seeing" in San Pedro besides the terrific USS Iowa that will take you all of 2 hours to see.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Displaced Local Girl

Norwegian Cruise Caribbean 1990
Carnival Jubilee Mexican Riviera 1995
Carnival Celebration Western Caribbean 1998
Sun Princess Alaska 1999
Sun Princess Panama Canal 2001
Regal Princess Baltic 2003
Norwegian Pride of America Hawaiian Islands 2006
Celebrity Infinity Alaska 2010
Carnival Paradise Ensenada: November 2011
Coral Princess Panama Canal: February 14, 2012
Golden Princess: May 20, 2012
Holland America Zaandam October 23, 2012
Golden Princess Hawaiian Islands: February 13, 2013
Sapphire Princess Pacific Coastal: April 13, 2013
Star Princess: 1 day (September 21, 2013)
Golden Princess: 3 Day (September 23, 2013)
Golden Princess: 3 Day (October 21, 2013)
Golden Princess: 3 Day (November 1, 2013/How could I not?)
Golden Princess: 3 Day (November 4, 2013/How could I not, again?)
Star Princess Hawaiian Islands (November 20, 2013)
Sapphire Princess (January, 2014)
Coral Princess (Alaska B2B2B 2014)
Golden Princess: October, 2014
Grand Princess Mexico: November, 2014
Golden Princess: November, 2014
Grand Princess Hawaiian Islands: February, 2015
Crown Princess California Coastal: October, 2015
Crown Princess California Coastal: January, 2016
Oakville, ON
2,262 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by Thrak
We are booked into Crowne Plaza tomorrow night. We sail the next day. We stayed there last time we sailed out of San Pedro as well. Book through Priceline and it costs a lot less than booking directly with the hotel.
Interesting .. I have never seen a Priceline or other consolidator beat a hotel price. Most hotels have some sort of guarantee that you don't beat the price on their own website. Yes, lower if pay in advance and no cancellation allowed - but the hotels usually have such offer as well.

Now if bidding on a room that is different, but then no guarantee to get your choice. I have had it work okay doing that on Priceline, but I have been stuck with stinkers too that have a rating above what they deserve.

So, I am just wondering what I am missing and how to have Priceline beat the hotel. Not doubting it happen, but I can usually find the same price among the hotel offerings as Travelocity and others.

Thanks and have a great cruise - I know you have been looking forward to it for a while now.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
Island Princess - BVE on Dec 6/17 @ PE T2
Island Princess - 60-day Grand South America, Jan 24/18.... & .... no FCD left as we have re-booked this one as 3 separate segments and saving a bundle. Depart PE T2 & Return T??
19,045 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
In San Pedro, plenty of hotels near by.
Ontario, CA (The one WITH the Palm Trees!)
22,814 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Originally posted by cr8tiv1
LAX-Hollywood-San Pedro...think three points on a triangle. No public transportation from either spot. Decide on what "touristy" things you would like to do. Decide really how many days you are planning to book. Day 1 and Last day don't count because they are transition days.

Southern California is huge without a car. With a car, you have to deal with traffic. I would suggest prioritizing your activities. Each activity will probably take you at least a half a day or more.

There is very little "sight-seeing" in San Pedro besides the terrific USS Iowa that will take you all of 2 hours to see.

You can get to all three by public transportation but it’ll take almost all day to do so.

Decide what you want to see. Guidebooks or online will help you figure it out. We have it all here, somewhere. The Greater Los Angeles area is huge, looking almost two hours, without traffic, to get from one side to another. Without a car, even longer.

Many will stay in Santa Monica or Long Beach.

LA is an expensive hotel city. Be wary of cheap hotels.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Scottsdale AZ
2,597 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Doubletree San Pedro is a fantastic place to stay if you are driving to the port as they include parking and a shuttle to / from the port. We stayed there a week ago Saturday prior to our October 1st cruise on the Emerald. We arrived back today and they quickly came to the port to take us back to our car at the Doubletree. We will definitely stay there again.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pre mid 1990's - a dozen or so cruises on Princess, Carnival, etc. Rediscovered cruising in 2008 and here's our roster since then:
Carnival Freedom – 09/2008 Mediterranean
Caribbean Princess – 12/2013 New Year's Western Caribbean * 05/2014 Western Caribbean
Coral Princess – 02/2016 Panama Canal Partial Transit * 05/2016 Celebrating Retirement Mini Coastal Cruise
Diamond Princess – 01/2013 Auckland to Sydney
Emerald Princess – 12/2010 Christmas Eastern Caribbean * 10/2014 Canary Islands & Madeira * 02/2015 Western Caribbean * 10/2017 Mexican Riviera
Golden Princess – 06/2008 Alaska Inside Passage RT Seattle
Grand Princess – 05/2009 Iberian Interlude RT Southampton
Island Princess – 02/2009 Panama Canal Partial Transit
Regal Princess – 11/2016 Eastern Caribbean
Royal Princess – 10/2015 & 01/2017 Southern Caribbean Medley
Star Princess – 05/2010 Baltic / Scandinavia / Russia * 10/2011 Greek Isles Venice to Rome * 12/2012 Around the Horn Valparaiso to Rio de Janeiro * 03/2013 Valparaiso to Los Angeles * 08/2015 Southbound Alaska * 08/2016 & 05/2017 Denali Explorer Land Tour + Southbound Alaska

Upcoming:
December 10, 2017 - Regal Princess - Eastern Caribbean
February 14, 2018 - Emerald Princess - San Antonio to Buenos Aires
August 14, 2018 - Grand Princess - Alaska Inside Passage from SF
October 5, 2018 - Viking Longship Mani - Amsterdam to Basel for first river cruise
5,640 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Highly likely this will be the pier:

World Cruise Center
93 BERTH
SAN PEDRO,California

https://www.google.com/maps/search/9...118.293511,14z
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App
Midwest
183 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
I would recommend the Doubletree. We stayed at Crown Plaza last week and it was horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Save
Save

Save
Save

Save
Save

Save
Save
USA
4,397 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
Originally posted by octoberdana
I would recommend the Doubletree. We stayed at Crown Plaza last week and it was horrible.
Please be specific! The word "horrible" is too vague. How can anyone make a decision based on that?? Please give examples of all the "horrible" things that you experienced.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Life's Milestones are Best Celebrated in Nautical Miles.

Oceania Insignia 1-2019 (World Cruise - 161 days)
Ruby Princess 9-2018 (Seattle-Vancouver - 1 day) **Elite**
Ruby Princess 9-2018 (Northern California Coastal - 7 days)
Oceania Insignia 12-2017 (Cuba - 7 days)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regal Princess 11-2017 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)
Caribbean Princess 3-2017 (Southern Caribbean - 8 days)
Celebrity Silhouette 8-2016 (British Isles, Guernsey, Belgium, Amsterdam - 14 days)
Grand Princess 11-2015 (Hawaii - 15 days)

Celebrity Infinity 10-2014 (TA - England, Azores, Bermuda, Bahamas - 14 days)
Celebrity Reflection 3-2014 (Eastern Caribbean - 7 days)
Crown Princess 7-2013 (Baltics/Russia - 14 days)
Emerald Princess 3-2012 (Eastern Caribbean - 10 days)
Caribbean Princess 6-2011 (Canada/New England - 9 days)
Crown Princess 9-2010 (TA - British Isles, Iceland, Greenland, Canada - 14 days)
Coral Princess 12-2008 (Full Panama Canal, Central America, Mexico - 14 days)
Sun Princess 9-2007 (Alaska - 7 days)
Carnival Paradise 9-2003 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)
Carnival Fantasy 1-1990 (Bahamas - 4 days)
Carnival Holiday 12-1989 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)

los angeles
256 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by steelers36
Interesting .. I have never seen a Priceline or other consolidator beat a hotel price. Most hotels have some sort of guarantee that you don't beat the price on their own website. Yes, lower if pay in advance and no cancellation allowed - but the hotels usually have such offer as well.

Now if bidding on a room that is different, but then no guarantee to get your choice. I have had it work okay doing that on Priceline, but I have been stuck with stinkers too that have a rating above what they deserve.

So, I am just wondering what I am missing and how to have Priceline beat the hotel. Not doubting it happen, but I can usually find the same price among the hotel offerings as Travelocity and others.

Thanks and have a great cruise - I know you have been looking forward to it for a while now.
it is possible you are not using the discount sites to their full capability, or you are trying to book on a weekend that has extenuating factors like a convention in town. i have very often beaten a hotel's price on hotwire or priceline. for my last cruise out of long beach, i was able to get the hyat centric for total $125, the next next price i saw was $250 on the hotel's site or any travel site. if you search, there are resources devoted to sussing out the hotels obscured on priceline and hotwire. i also had success getting a better price than even the group price for a wedding on booking.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

los angeles
256 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
to the op's question, my parents have a ton of points, so we have a free night in long beach at the courtyard downtown. they are coming in 2 days early. so we will explore long beach and then take a lyft or taxi to san pedro. since the hotel was "free" with points the cost of the lyft won't hurt too bad, and there i a more to do in downtown long beach than san pedro. san pedro is cute, but be prepared that the city literally rolls up and closes at 4 or 5pm. there will be a small smattering of bars/restaurants open but the pickings will be slim. the nice thing about long beach is the free bus that goes in a loop downtown can take you to many hotels and also the shopping areas, restaurants, and and queen mary.

honestly, if you are arriving a few days early, you might want to book a hotel where you want to site see and then the night before cruise move to san pedro. the crown was just fine when i stayed there last time. very quiet, comfy beds. even though i didn't prebook the shuttle to the cruise, they let me buy one in the morning and got us to the shop super early, we were on the first shuttle going from hotel to port to pick up people getting off. we weren't even the first people checked in, the check in lounge was packed. i found check in at both long beach and san pedro was run very efficiently.

i do 100% recommend moving to san pedro the night before because morning traffic on the freeways is dreadful. i live near pasadena, and we always just get a hotel the night before near port so we don't have to stress. we wake up where we need to be, get breakfast and mosey to port. if we stayed at home we would have to wake up earlier, probably not have a relaxing breakfast, and then get stuck on the parking lot that is the 110.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

44 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Princess docks at the World Cruise Center in San Pedro. I live in LA and for getting around, you need a car in LA or you are toast. This is the town that invented "drive-in". The freeways go everywhere...IF they are moving. There is an Enterprise Car Rental near the port with a shuttle from the port. Book early, it is a small establishment. You will need a GPS either in the car or on your phone. When we cruise from San Pedro, friends drop us off and I rent a one-way car to go home, still cheaper than a week's parking at the port. The draw back to a car is trying to find a place to park. Only in the movies can you drive up to a place and find parking in front, especially in LA
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
In the Valley, CA
23,023 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
If you want to do touristy stuff, do you mean a tour? There's some companies that will take you around to the various places and you won't have to worry about finding a parking space at each one. The downside is that you're on the tour bus schedule. The number one tourism site, unless it's changed in the past few years is Farmers Market, which is at 3rd and Fairfax. Not kidding. Then the Hollywood Walk at Fame (it's fun to look at the various stars on the sidewalk and see if you recognize all the names -- depending on your age, there may be some that you don't). You would just need to get to a pick up spot to catch the tour.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Patty the Cruisin' Chick (may all your cruises be smooth sailin')

Hoping for another trip to the land of Aloha!

Carnival Jubilee - Mex. Riv.; Sensation - W. Caribb.; Holiday (2Xs) - Baja; Paradise - E Caribb; Ecstasy - Baja; Star Princess - Mex. Riv.; Sapphire Princess - Alaska; Island Princess - Hawaii; Golden Princess - Hawaii (one of the best cruises ever!!!!); another Golden Princess -- Hawaii

Read about my most recent cruise at
http://www.sites.google.com/site/holidayalohaii/home
Long Beach, CA
1,955 Posts
Joined May 2006
Try Long Beach for any pre or post cruise stays. It is a MUCH NICER place than San Pedro, trust me! Most hotels in Long Beach are a 15 minute cab or UBER ride to the port over the scenic bridges. http://www.visitlongbeach.com/
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruise Enthusiasts
Upcoming Cruises
November 2017: Mexico - Emerald Princess
Past Enthusiasms:
5/2001 - Celebrity Infinity - Alaska/British Columbia
10/2002 - RCCL Brilliance of Seas-New England/Canada
6/2003 - HAL Amsterdam - Alaska/British Columbia
11/2003 - RCCL Monarch of Seas - Mexico/Catalina
7/2004 - Celebrity Constellation - Baltic/Russia
11/2005 - Celebrity Summit - Panama Canal
7/2006 - Celebrity Mercury - Alaska/British Columbia
1/2007 - RCCL Monarch of Seas - Mexico/Catalina
7/2007 - Celebrity Mercury - Alaska/British Columbia
1/2008 - RCCL Monarch of Seas - Mexico/Catalina
8/2008 - HAL Oosterdam - Alaska/British Columbia
1/2009 - Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera
9/2009 - Celebrity Infinity - Alaska/British Columbia
5/2010 - Celebrity Equinox - Eastern Mediterranean
11/2010 - HAL Oosterdam - Mexican Riviera
5/2011 - Crown Princess - British Isles
11/2011 - Crystal Symphony - California Coast
5/2012 - Celebrity Century - Alaska/British Columbia
11/2012 - Crystal Symphony - California Coast
7/2013 - Oceania Regatta - Alaska/British Columbia
3/2014 - Celebrity Century-California Coast
8/2014 - HAL Westerdam - Alaska/British Columbia
5/2015 - Celebrity Solstice - Alaska/British Columbia
1/2016 - NCL Jewel - Mexican Riviera
7/2016 - Oceania Regatta - Alaska/British Columbia

12/2016 - Oceania Sirena - Sea of Cortez
5/2017 - Crystal Serenity - Pacific Coastal
1,294 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Originally posted by octoberdana

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Saying it was “horrible” means nothing. Please be specific.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Over 100 cruises. Then my dementia kicked in. Now I can't remember just how many cruises I've taken.
And God willing, may He grant you good health to live and not die before your next cruise.

12,901 Posts
Joined Apr 2001
Originally posted by curtdesilets
Try Long Beach for any pre or post cruise stays. It is a MUCH NICER place than San Pedro, trust me! Most hotels in Long Beach are a 15 minute cab or UBER ride to the port over the scenic bridges. http://www.visitlongbeach.com/
I agree. San Pedro is not really geared toward tourists. Long Beach has a lot more to do.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Princess Elite, RCI Diamond, Celebrity Elite, Cunard Platinum, Azamara Discoverer - 42 Completed Cruises so far
Upcoming Booked Cruises:
2018: Crown Princess, Emerald Princess & Azamara Quest

2019: Ruby Princess, Royal Princess & one other
And possibly another couple cruises in between those above!