Alcohol Allowance

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:35 PM.
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
598 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by Host Sharon
emails are going out - exactly as I said was going to happen and people didn't believe me.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/po/be...u-sail/alcohol

Hardly surprising given the way some passengers pushed it to the limit.
Never doubted you for a minute Sharon.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Andrew

Past: Cunard QE2 & Queen Elizabeth; P&O Victoria, Oriana, Arcadia, Aurora, Oceana, Azura; Sea Princess; Celebrity Summit; Fred Olsen Black Watch, Saga Ruby, Portuscale MV Funchal, MS Mayfair (Nile River Cruise).

Future: CMV Marco Polo to Iceland.
Staffordshire
1,047 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by eddie11
I wonder if it's a prelude to offering a drinks package on board?
I hope that if they do introduce a drinks package that it is not an included in the price one. When we went on Celebrity my only criticism was that I felt that the price was high due to there being a "free" drinks package. People who do not drink or only drink moderately are in fact subsidising the heavy drinkers. We usually have a glass of wine with dinner and another alcoholic drink of some sort after the show so there us no way that a drinks package makes financial sense for people like us. If people want a drinks package that is their desicon but they should not be subsidised by non drinkers.
S Wales.
95 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
Originally posted by daiB
Theses are not duty free prices that you get in the shop. This menu card would have been in your cabin

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Never had one of these in our cabin, ,,,,first time for me to see one....but it was first time with PO ORIANA June. I will certainly be keeping eyes open for this....THANKS
Isle of Wight
398 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Not that I can afford a world cruise, but there is no way I could make a litre bottle of Bacardi last 99 days!
I would like to think that the room service menu for bottles of spirits for in-cabin consumption will still continue.
But will the room service manager have the authority to restrict purchases of alcohol on the lines of "you've had your quota, Sonny, that's your lot!" ?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Yorkshire
1,483 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by kalos
P&O say " We allow a reasonable amount " which is ??
Which is now a set amount, which to us seems reasonable (more than some ships allow).
Just a pity a growing few have spoilt the trust to be reasonable we all enjoyed by keeping it reasonable.
Some peeps were telling others " take what you want , they dont mind " . Looks like they do.

Glad to see the code of conduct and dress code updated.
I reckon some of the two nighters that the ships run could greatly benefit from these rules ,
making the ships as P&O state "to be enjoyed by all.

P&O are taking control again .Some will not like it and can vote with their feet but some will welcome it .
Nothing has been done to put us off our cruisers , so will continue to book with them in the future .
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
.Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else

Thomson DESTINY 28/12/11 + 16/03/1 ... Thomson Majesty 28.12.12 Thomson Dream 26.04.13 ... Thomson Spirit 02.08.13 ... princess crown 26.9.13
Fred Olsen Boudica 28.06.14 ... Thomson Spirit 16-8-14 Ventura 2-5-15 ..ventura aft cabin 21-7-15 Ventura New Year 15 Azura Barbados to Southampton March-April 2016 Ventura New Year Dec16 - Azura 14 nt TA 17-3-17

--
1,017 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Can understand one bottle allowance for a 2 day cruise, but would have hoped for a bit more flexibility on a 24 night cruise, or for a lengthy sector during a world cruise.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app
1,017 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Which is now a set amount, which to us seems reasonable (more than some ships allow).
Just a pity a growing few have spoilt the trust to be reasonable we all enjoyed by keeping it reasonable.
Some peeps were telling others " take what you want , they dont mind " . Looks like they do.

I reckon some of the two nighters that the ships run could greatly benefit from these rules ,

P&O are taking control again .Some will not like it and can vote with their feet but some will welcome it .
Nothing has been done to put us off our cruisers , so will continue to book with them in the future .
How is one bottle of wine for a 24 day cruise 'reasonable'?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app
UK
801 Posts
Joined Feb 2011

I am also pleased about this, some people were just taking advantage and posting pictures on Facebook of cases and cases full of booze they were taking on board. I’m not surprised they acted on this. So spoiling it for those that take a couple of bottles onboard.

Also pleased about the dress code and the fact they obviously are trying to stop hen and stag parties dressing in outrageous clothes or rude slogans on t- shirts and obviously drinking to much alcohol.

I wouldn’t mind if they introduce a drinks package but I wouldn’t be taking advantage of it. As long as it isn’t included in the cost of the cruise, in which case I wouldn’t be booking the cruise. I would much rather they included gratuities in the cost of the cruise.
England
906 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by zider
The dress codes are also being hardened up No more Football shirts track suits after 18.00 see here https://ask.pocruises.com/help/po/li...dress_code_all
Good thing too, but they don’t actually specify football shirts or track suits do they? Some people won’t give a damn. On Britannia last year a middle aged chap turned up for breakfast in the Epicurean (fine dining restaurant reserved for suite passengers) every morning in a garish football shirt. Personally, I think that shows a lack of respect for others, but many people these days wouldn’t even notice.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 143 nights over 13 cruises (Aurora x 3, Azura, Britannia x 3, Oceana x 2, Oriana x 2, Ventura x 2)
P&O Cruises to Come - 74 nights over 5 cruises (2018 - Aurora, Arcadia, Aurora, 2019 - Aurora x 2)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul (Fly back). 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Eastern Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.
R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
B721 Britannia 22/7/17. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Aft Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.

R718 Aurora 20/10/17. Zeebrugge (although didn’t dock due to storm). 2 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin. Back to Back with;
R719 Aurora 22/10/17. Spain & France. 7 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
Yorkshire
1,483 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
[quote=wowzz;54512594]How is one bottle of wine for a 24 day cruise 'reasonable'?

Originally posted by amajaa
Well it unfortunately is still one more than lots of cruise lines allow.
which is what I said , so glad we agree

Nothing has been done to put us off our cruisers , so will continue to book with them in the future
HI Wowzz

I can understand your disappointment, regardless of it being 7-14- 24 or any other cruise but P&O
decide your allowance. As in one of my earlier posts I did put long may they keep the trust in us
being reasonable but sad to say it looks like those days have gone for you and me and others.
So to answer your question .. because P&O say it's reasonable , their ship , their rules .
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
.Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else

Thomson DESTINY 28/12/11 + 16/03/1 ... Thomson Majesty 28.12.12 Thomson Dream 26.04.13 ... Thomson Spirit 02.08.13 ... princess crown 26.9.13
Fred Olsen Boudica 28.06.14 ... Thomson Spirit 16-8-14 Ventura 2-5-15 ..ventura aft cabin 21-7-15 Ventura New Year 15 Azura Barbados to Southampton March-April 2016 Ventura New Year Dec16 - Azura 14 nt TA 17-3-17

--
Whitley Bay, North East England
6,557 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by zider
The dress codes are also being hardened up No more Football shirts track suits after 18.00 see here https://ask.pocruises.com/help/po/li...dress_code_all

Not sure that part has changed at all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aurora AU112 Arcadia AR223
Aurora R418 Aurora R419
Adonia F507 Adonia F508
Aurora R525 Arcadia J625
Oceana E721 Oriana X718
Arcadia J813 Oriana X820
Ventura N902 Aurora R913
Arcadia J004 Oceana E021
Ventura N110 Azura A121
Aurora R119 Ventura N210
Arcadia J217 Oriana X302
Oriana X312 Aurora R315
Oceana E402 Azura A409
Azura A410 Oceana E425
Oceana E426 Arcadia J510
Britannia B522 Britannia B523
Ventura N603 Azura A616
Arcadia J615 Arcadia J616
Oceana E625 Crown Princess May 17
Britannia B719 Britannia B720

To Come

Azura 17
Azura 17
Ventura 18
Oriana 18
Oriana 18
Ventura 19
Ventura 19
Britannia 19
Ventura 9
Ventura 19

Gan Canny

Dai
warminster uk
838 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Evening Casual

Stylish resort or leisurewear is ideal for Evening Casual nights, for example casual separates or dresses for ladies and open-neck polo shirts and casual long trousers (not shorts or 3/4 length trousers) for men. A jacket and smart trousers can be worn but are not compulsory. Smart dark denim is also fine, but not trainers, football shirts or tracksuits.

Black Tie

Black Tie nights foster a rather special atmosphere on-board and we know that our guests adore dressing up and it has long been a part of the P&O Cruises experience, adding a touch of glamour and a real sense of occasion to evenings at sea. Seeing an entire ship full of people transformed into their finery is quite something to behold. Ladies wear glamorous evening wear including cocktail dresses, ball gowns or even smart trouser suits. For men, dinner jackets or tuxedos are the norm, but a dark lounge or business suit and tie can be worn as an alternative. You can also wear formal national dress and military uniform.

Daywear

During the day you can wear exactly the same as you would on any other holiday. Casual shirts, shorts, trousers and beachwear are ideal. For going ashore and walking on deck, flat comfortable shoes are a must. You will also need a lightweight jacket or coat for cool evenings and occasional showers. Don't forget sun protection cream, a sun hat and sunglasses as the sun is much stronger at sea.

Children

The Dress Code for children in the evening is Evening Casual, regardless of the adult Dress Code. We do ask that children don’t wear denim on Black Tie nights. When dining in the informal or buffet restaurants children can be casually dressed. If children are going to be with you in the evening in the formal restaurants and theatre then they can still dress more casually adopting our Evening Casual Dress Code.

Fancy dress and novelty clothing

We don’t want to dampen anyone’s fun but coming into effect on 1 January 2018, fancy dress and/or novelty clothing will not be permitted on board. We reserve the right to deny embarkation to guests who are inappropriately dressed. This is a change from the policy wording printed in the back our January 2018 – October 2019 brochure. The only exception to this is on official theme nights, when guests are invited to dress to reflect the theme. This policy, however, does not apply to children 16 and under.

Personalised and slogan clothing

In addition to the fancy dress policy, clothing personalised with images/slogans, and/or clothing that features offensive language, images or slogans, will not be allowed on board at any time.

General

The Dress Code is applied in most restaurants and bars for guests over 18 years of age, from 6pm. Please wear the appropriate attire to the ship’s bars and restaurants; blue or worn denim, sandals (for men), sleeveless tops (for men), flip flops and shorts are not permitted in ship's public areas during the evening.
Swimsuits are not permitted in the lounges, interior bars, restaurants or reception area at any time. A shirt and suitable footwear is required while indoors and when using the buffet restaurants.
You may also find the following question helpful: What will the dress code be whilst I am on board?

Please note:
From 2016 we simplified our Dress Codes on-board all our ships to Evening Casual and Black Tie. We know that our guests adore dressing up and it has long been a part of the P&O Cruises experience, so Black Tie evenings are still firmly part of the on-board programme, however the Smart Jacket Required Dress Code will no longer apply.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Staffordshire
1,047 Posts
Joined May 2011
What happens when a passenger arrives on board with no formal clothes but with football tops and lots of tee shirts with slogans ? A few years ago we bumped into a man on Azura who had been in the same class as my husband 50 years ago at school. He told us that he never eats in the MDR because when he is on holiday he just wants to relax and wear all casual ( scruffy imo ) clothes. Every time we saw him he was wearing various Stoke City tops or tee shirts with slogans on them. He and his wife could not understand why we would want to go to the trouble of dressing less casually every evening. Will P&O confine them to their cabins ? I am sure that as seasoned cruisers they will not check the dress code every time they cruise I know that I don't.
Scotland
778 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
"Slogan - a short and striking memorable phrase used in advertising"," a highland war cry"

So what is a slogan t shirt? I get the bit about stag and hen nights with pictures of the bride or groom and nick names etc but what is a slogan.

One could argue that the t shirts P&O sell with their name and logo on are "slogans". Memorable and advertising something?

Same with the fancy dress. I often think the young people I see in town on a Saturday are in fancy dress however I am informed by a sage younger relative that it is actually fashionable.
England
1,258 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
So does 'images/slogans' mean that something like a man's tee shirt with Dangermouse on it is banned? Obviously unsuitable for evenings, but for daytime in the Med? Most tee shirts say something on them!