Any experience carrying drone onboard?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:03 PM.
Australia
124 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Originally posted by floridalover5623
Just a hunch but something tells me that the photography crew is already using them for the Panama canal trips. If they're not is because the authorities won't allow it.
It's probably a good hunch to be honest. There are certainly places where they are banned for use, but confiscated?
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
5,990 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by Credit 00
It's probably a good hunch to be honest. There are certainly places where they are banned for use, but confiscated?
After watching numerous videos on YouTube about all the problems encountered in different countries I'm not sure I would chance bringing it along. Seems like it's more trouble than it's worth.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
s600/781/67/85
15 - 25 - 30
Northern California
450 Posts
Joined May 2015
Originally posted by Meanee
Hey all!

I am on December 1st sailing on Crown Princess to South Caribbean. I have a small drone that I would like to take with me. Aruba and Curacao allow it, Bonaire does not. Drone is small enough, when folded, to fit in a jacket pocket.

I know that drones are prohibited to be flown on a ship and I am not going to fly it there. Idea is to fly it at port of call, around some landmarks.

Was anyone successful bringing one without getting hassled by security? I'd rather not lose it.
Ha - I swear, when people hear the word "drone," their mind hears "gun" or "hand grenade." But of course in the early 1900s there was a lot of resistance for those evil horseless carriages too...

In any event, should you get past all the negativity and red tape with your evil drone, please remember to provide us a link to the videos you take so we might enjoy too!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
M & K

Cruise History
July 2015 - Emerald Princess (Mediterranean)
November 2004 - Carnival Sensation (Caribbean)
NY
358 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
There are a few good video's of different ships leaving Ft Lauderdale on YouTube.
There's a guy on YouTube who chases cruise ships leaving Port Everglades with his DJI Phantom 4. While it sounds fun and all, I can't say it's a good idea. Leaving port is sensitive time. Who knows what sensor you may be interfering with, or if coast guard chase boats may get a little bit too nervous.
NY
358 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by Chunder Worthy
Ha - I swear, when people hear the word "drone," their mind hears "gun" or "hand grenade." But of course in the early 1900s there was a lot of resistance for those evil horseless carriages too...

In any event, should you get past all the negativity and red tape with your evil drone, please remember to provide us a link to the videos you take so we might enjoy too!
Thanks! I love the whole "Oh I wish I could use it for target practice" response. Considering that people are arrested and charged for doing just that. And some do not understand that it's a great tool to take some awesome shots that are impossible otherwise.
Southern USA
87 Posts
Joined May 2010
I put drones at public events and places in the same category with cell phones, camera selfie sticks and the latest annoyance, comfort dogs. Join the club, see who can be the most annoying.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebrity Millennium Alaska 2014
Island Princess Panama Canal RT 2013
Crown Princess Caribbean 2013
Island Princess Trans Canal 2010
Caribbean Princess Caribbean 2007
Crown Princess Canada New England 2007
Grand Princess Caribbean 2006
Sun Princess Caribbean 2003
Dawn Princess Caribbean 2003
Crown Princess Panama Canal RT 2000
Crown Princess Alaska 1998
USS General Mitchell Korea to USA 1958
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
5,990 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by TFM70
I put drones at public events and places in the same category with cell phones, camera selfie sticks and the latest annoyance, comfort dogs. Join the club, see who can be the most annoying.
Sounds like you get annoyed easily.
Are those drones flying around you every day?
How about those comfort dogs?
I must lead a sheltered life since I've only seen one in my life flying around- - and that was only for 2 minutes.
Where are all these drones?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
s600/781/67/85
15 - 25 - 30
Las Vegas
11,129 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Sounds like you get annoyed easily.
Are those drones flying around you every day?
How about those comfort dogs?
I must lead a sheltered life since I've only seen one in my life flying around- - and that was only for 2 minutes.
Where are all these drones?
Re "comfort dogs" - I am going to get a "comfort lion" and train it to eat "comfort dogs".

DON
5,640 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Thanks! I love the whole "Oh I wish I could use it for target practice" response.
Hummels are much better, and truly ugly.
PULL!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
5,990 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by donaldsc
Re "comfort dogs" - I am going to get a "comfort lion" and train it to eat "comfort dogs".

DON
You mean those little rat dogs?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
s600/781/67/85
15 - 25 - 30
Upstate NY near Rochester
2,217 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Drones are on the prohibited items list on NCL. Might want to ask...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bill, Diane & Julia

Rock of Ages Rocks!
NCL Breakaway - 12/3/2017 New York, San Juan, St. Thomas, Tortola BVI, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Kitts (12 days)
NCL Breakaway - 10/9/2016 New York, XBermudaX Port Canaveral, Nassau - Hurricane avoidance
NCL Breakaway - 3/29/2015 New York, Port Canaveral, Great Stirrup Cay, Nassau
Carnival Destiny - 10/7/2007 San Juan, St.Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St.Lucia, Antigua
RCI Explorer of the Seas 10/6/2006 - Bayonne, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, San Juan, Labadee
RCI Voyager of the Seas 10/7/2005 - Bayonne, Labadee, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Freeport
Carnival Glory 1/15/2005 - Port Canaveral, Key West, Belize, Cozumel, Progreso
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 10/1993 - Miami, San Juan, St. Thomas, and ummmmmm
sacramento ca
2,175 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by goodmud
Please don't bring it to fly around landmarks. We were on a cruise this summer at the historic fort on St. Kitts. A couple had a drone flying above the the whole time, which really distracted from the visit for as it was loud and flying all around between people. In addition, there was a very clear sign when we entered the fort area that drones were not permitted. Just my opinion.
Good point. I can see
how it would be totally distracting to have drones flying around .
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
westcoastcruiser
NY
358 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by rhblake
I have only experienced a drone once, but the sound it made was very distracting and annoying.
Keep in mind, drones are all different. Different propellers, different ESCs (speed controllers that run motors), and different motors all produce different sounds. Some people can even tell the drone model based on sound. Mine is pretty quiet. If you run a larger drone with more or less pro camera, like DJI Inspire, you will hear it far away. My drone, 30-40 feet away, is hard to hear on a normal day.

So, don't lump it all together.
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
5,990 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Just the sight of a drone can cause reactions like that of a cell phone in public. Even if people can't hear you talk they feel slighted in some way.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
s600/781/67/85
15 - 25 - 30
5,640 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Hey all!

I am on December 1st sailing on Crown Princess to South Caribbean. I have a small drone that I would like to take with me. Aruba and Curacao allow it, Bonaire does not. Drone is small enough, when folded, to fit in a jacket pocket.

I know that drones are prohibited to be flown on a ship and I am not going to fly it there. Idea is to fly it at port of call, around some landmarks.

Was anyone successful bringing one without getting hassled by security? I'd rather not lose it.
A couple years ago, someone posted a link to a video from a drone overflying a cruise ship.
The comments were positive.

Someone asks about bringing a drone, and gets a pile of negative comments.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/show....php?t=2204691
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App
NY
358 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by clearwaters
Seems like a self explanatory answer.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
With everyone going from "Sure" to "Do not" and "I'd like to shoot one" I am curious where did you get the self-explanatory answer.
NY
358 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by pablo222
A couple years ago, someone posted a link to a video from a drone overflying a cruise ship.
The comments were positive.

Someone asks about bringing a drone, and gets a pile of negative comments.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/show....php?t=2204691
This is the one I mentioned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bfOgLSAYCs