Southampton Harbour Hotel

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:31 AM.
161 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Originally posted by Florry
As hotels and places to stay the night before a cruise are frequently discussed, I thought I’d post about this brand new addition. We visited with friends at the weekend, here is a brief overview:

- Rooms very nice expect to pay approx £250pn
- Food is very good but expect to pay approx £65pp in the restaurant with wine
- Car parking and ease of finding the hotel are both very poor, this may improve as the surrounding developments are completed
- Located at Ocean Village Marina so good views, but it’s on the outskirts of the city
-There is a spa but didn’t see this
-Generally very hip and trendy, won’t let you in to the hotel or venues inside the hotel if your name isn’t on the list (lots of unhappy people milling around, letting the staff know how much they are worth when unable to get into the bar). I think they are trying to create something exclusive so people are desperate to be seen there
-Would I recommend it for a pre-cruise stay? No, I think there are more relaxing, convenient and better priced hotels to choose from before booking this.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
How much
Being a Yorkshire lass , I think I will give this a miss .....
Solihull
2,176 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
Originally posted by Mrs Tinkywinky
How much

Yes, I don’t pay that much in central London...

Whitley Bay, North East England
6,557 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by Mrs Tinkywinky
How much

Again a bit misleading I am paying only a small amount more than that for DBB and car parking for 4 weeks. It’s not cheap but not that much more than many others.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aurora AU112 Arcadia AR223
Aurora R418 Aurora R419
Adonia F507 Adonia F508
Aurora R525 Arcadia J625
Oceana E721 Oriana X718
Arcadia J813 Oriana X820
Ventura N902 Aurora R913
Arcadia J004 Oceana E021
Ventura N110 Azura A121
Aurora R119 Ventura N210
Arcadia J217 Oriana X302
Oriana X312 Aurora R315
Oceana E402 Azura A409
Azura A410 Oceana E425
Oceana E426 Arcadia J510
Britannia B522 Britannia B523
Ventura N603 Azura A616
Arcadia J615 Arcadia J616
Oceana E625 Crown Princess May 17
Britannia B719 Britannia B720

To Come

Azura 17
Azura 17
Ventura 18
Oriana 18
Oriana 18
Ventura 19
Ventura 19
Britannia 19
Ventura 9
Ventura 19

Gan Canny

Dai
UK
1,411 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Very interesting thread. Slightly off topic I'm looking at Premier Inn for June and the West Quay one we really like is booked up.
On looking at the Premier Inn website there is one called "city centre" which doesn't look very central bearing in mind we are being dropped off so won't have a car. There is a brand new one called just "southampton|" that doesn't even show up on google maps yet! That looks like a better location for us.
Do any of you who know Southampton well know anything about it? It wasn't on the list when I booked for my Feb cruise! It's on Cumberland Place if that helps.
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
598 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Cumberland Place is on the northern edge of the city centre in Southampton, overlooking West (or Watts) Park. It is a 5 - 10 minute cab ride to the Cruise Terminals and about a 10 minute walk from the Railway Station. Premier Inn bought the old Southampton Park Hotel to redevelop it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Andrew

Past: Cunard QE2 & Queen Elizabeth; P&O Victoria, Oriana, Arcadia, Aurora, Oceana, Azura; Sea Princess; Celebrity Summit; Fred Olsen Black Watch, Saga Ruby, Portuscale MV Funchal, MS Mayfair (Nile River Cruise).

Future: CMV Marco Polo to Iceland.
UK
1,411 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Originally posted by Britboys
Cumberland Place is on the northern edge of the city centre in Southampton, overlooking West (or Watts) Park. It is a 5 - 10 minute cab ride to the Cruise Terminals and about a 10 minute walk from the Railway Station. Premier Inn bought the old Southampton Park Hotel to redevelop it.
Thank you - I think I saw a hotel called "Southampton Park" when I was looking on google maps! Most helpful.
Wimborne, Dorset
865 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
Originally posted by Britboys
Is that the one between the Mayflower Theatre and the Grosvenor Multi-storey car park? It was still being worked on last month.
1,017 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by P&O SUE
Very interesting thread. Slightly off topic I'm looking at Premier Inn for June and the West Quay one we really like is booked up.
On looking at the Premier Inn website there is one called "city centre" which doesn't look very central bearing in mind we are being dropped off so won't have a car. There is a brand new one called just "southampton|" that doesn't even show up on google maps yet! That looks like a better location for us.
Do any of you who know Southampton well know anything about it? It wasn't on the list when I booked for my Feb cruise! It's on Cumberland Place if that helps.
City centre Premier Inn is about 10 minute walk to town centre. You'll need a taxi to get to the port.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app
UK
1,411 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Originally posted by wowzz
City centre Premier Inn is about 10 minute walk to town centre. You'll need a taxi to get to the port.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

Thank you. We were thinking we’d need a taxi to port so that’s not a problem.

Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
598 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by Brayman
Is that the one between the Mayflower Theatre and the Grosvenor Multi-storey car park? It was still being worked on last month.
Yes, I believe it is.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Andrew

Past: Cunard QE2 & Queen Elizabeth; P&O Victoria, Oriana, Arcadia, Aurora, Oceana, Azura; Sea Princess; Celebrity Summit; Fred Olsen Black Watch, Saga Ruby, Portuscale MV Funchal, MS Mayfair (Nile River Cruise).

Future: CMV Marco Polo to Iceland.
2,806 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
Thank you. I was tempted by the Harbour Hotel. I really enjoyed the Flight Museum. I had always wanted too see a flying boat.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Yes we loved that, and being able to look round inside it...That was when flying had some derring do about it!
2,806 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
Originally posted by daiB
I think you may have been misinformed there are a number of pubs and eating places in that area and Oxford street with its many restaurants is only 10 minutes away. The High Street is 17 minutes away.

Not exactly out of the way.

I guess you must have been commenting on my post Dai. We did a day cruise from the marina a few months ago (they have been kicked out from there now). We couldn't see lots of places to eat around the marina..just lots of flats going up. ref walking distances..must admit with my dodgy knees my times may be longer, but it is a walk. Most people seem to want places closer by, if they don't wish to eat in the hotel.
Whitley Bay, North East England
6,557 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by the english lady
I guess you must have been commenting on my post Dai. We did a day cruise from the marina a few months ago (they have been kicked out from there now). We couldn't see lots of places to eat around the marina..just lots of flats going up. ref walking distances..must admit with my dodgy knees my times may be longer, but it is a walk. Most people seem to want places closer by, if they don't wish to eat in the hotel.

Our deal includes dinner so we had not looked before but google maps shows a few eating places.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aurora AU112 Arcadia AR223
Aurora R418 Aurora R419
Adonia F507 Adonia F508
Aurora R525 Arcadia J625
Oceana E721 Oriana X718
Arcadia J813 Oriana X820
Ventura N902 Aurora R913
Arcadia J004 Oceana E021
Ventura N110 Azura A121
Aurora R119 Ventura N210
Arcadia J217 Oriana X302
Oriana X312 Aurora R315
Oceana E402 Azura A409
Azura A410 Oceana E425
Oceana E426 Arcadia J510
Britannia B522 Britannia B523
Ventura N603 Azura A616
Arcadia J615 Arcadia J616
Oceana E625 Crown Princess May 17
Britannia B719 Britannia B720

To Come

Azura 17
Azura 17
Ventura 18
Oriana 18
Oriana 18
Ventura 19
Ventura 19
Britannia 19
Ventura 9
Ventura 19

Gan Canny

Dai
2,806 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
I think this is what I like the least about it ---
-Generally very hip and trendy, won’t let you in to the hotel or venues inside the hotel if your name isn’t on the list (lots of unhappy people milling around, letting the staff know how much they are worth when unable to get into the bar). I think they are trying to create something exclusive so people are desperate to be seen there
I am sorry any hotel that behaves like this really is all about the "show" and there are better situated hotels surrounded by a lot nearer eating places , for the cruise terminals.
Do post back how you found it Dai...I would like to know.
Luckily we do not need to stay in hotels in Southampton now.
113 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
Originally posted by P&O SUE
I tried to book the Premier in for one night in June but it was full. If you booked for 2 nights covering the one you want then it's available. someone mentioned on another group that if you book them both and then ring to cancel the one you don't want you should be able to get it. It was too late for me as I had already booked the Holiday Inn. I don't mind either to be honest but I usually just go for the cheaper option. x