P&O the Walmart of Cruising

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:36 PM.
essex uk and calabria italy
844 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
What's wrong with Lidl,they sell the best and cheapest voddy,proven by blind tasting experts.
35 Posts
Joined Mar 2016
Originally posted by artemis10
During a Peninsular lunch recently one of the guests at our table said that he thought P&O standards were dropping, the senior officer hosting our table replied that he thought P&O was heading towards being the Walmart of cruising, pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap! I think they are more likely to become the Ryanair of cruising.
When, where, who and in what context?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Staffordshire
1,973 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by dgs1956
You really do get some really pointless posts on here but this beats them all.
Do you seriously expect us to believe such nonsense that a senior officer would make such a comment?
Yes I can because we sat at Peninsular Club lunch on Azura with a certain female Purser who is still currently working on P&O and has done for a number of years. When we said we were not happy with the dress code and enforcement on the ship it had been noted but she followed on to say football shirts can be more expensive than many formal shirts and that she had designer jeans that had cost more than most mens formal dinner suits. With an attitude like that from a senior officer what hope is there for enforcing dress code and one of the reasons we switched to cruising primarily with Cunard which has a better dress code and is enforced.
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
598 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by majortom10
Yes I can because we sat at Peninsular Club lunch on Azura with a certain female Purser who is still currently working on P&O and has done for a number of years. When we said we were not happy with the dress code and enforcement on the ship it had been noted but she followed on to say football shirts can be more expensive than many formal shirts and that she had designer jeans that had cost more than most mens formal dinner suits. With an attitude like that from a senior officer what hope is there for enforcing dress code and one of the reasons we switched to cruising primarily with Cunard which has a better dress code and is enforced.
Obviously as I was not there with you, I cannot possibly know what her inference was from that but sadly, she is essentially right. An average price football shirt is now £50+ and designer jeans far more than that. Personally, I really don't even get the concept of designer jeans. They originated as outdoor work-wear and I generally only wear them shopping or going to football games.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Andrew

Past: Cunard QE2 & Queen Elizabeth; P&O Victoria, Oriana, Arcadia, Aurora, Oceana, Azura; Sea Princess; Celebrity Summit; Fred Olsen Black Watch, Saga Ruby, Portuscale MV Funchal, MS Mayfair (Nile River Cruise).

Future: CMV Marco Polo to Iceland.
berkshire
1,160 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Do you seriously expect us to believe such nonsense that a senior officer would make such a comment?

Well I certainly do ! You'd be surprised at the comments I've heard ( on Cunard) from former P&O senior officers, who now have to rotate between P&O and Cunard.

They dread the thought of having to be rotated back.
Sunderland England
5,159 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by majortom10
She is right about the cost of those clothes items but wrong in the good taste category.
Sunderland England
5,159 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by Highpeaklad
I hate getting dressed up so for my upcoming P&O cruise I’m going to have to buy a £25 suit from Asda. Grrrr
While in M&S outlet at Dalton Park Murton County Durham yesterday they had a selection of suits for £69.
At that price people have no excuse to not wear a suit on formal night.
Lancashire U.K.
1,434 Posts
Joined Dec 2001

Why not? I would think a lot of the older crew members could be a tad disenchanted with the way things are changing
Lincolnshire
939 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by NSWP
But there is no WalMart in the UK is there? So the correct title of the thread should be 'P&O The Primark of Cruising' or perhaps 'P&O the Lidl of Cruising.'

Which should make Cunard..'The Harrods of Cruising' or is that an overstatement? I reckon it is having been on Cunard. So Cunard 'The Sainsburys of Cruising.' lol.

Yes, there is Walmart in Uk. They purchased ASDA and rebranded some of their stores

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2006 Carnival Valor – E Caribbean
2007 Carnival Valor – W Caribbean
2008 Carnival Pride - Mexico
2009 Carnival Freedom – Costa Rica, Panama, Cozamel
2010 RCCI Liberty of the Seas - Mediterranean
2010 RCCI Oasis of the Seas – E Caribbean
2011 RCCI Allure – W Caribbean
2012 RCCI Independence of the Seas - Mediterranean
2013 RCCI Freedom of the Seas - Caribbean
2014 RCCI Adventure of the Seas – Mediterranean
2015 P&O Britannia – Canary Islands
2016 Emerald Princess - Brugge and Scandinavia
2016 P&O Britannia - Caribbean Islands
2017 P&O Ventura - August Greece and Italy
Kent, England
6,216 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by grapau27
While in M&S outlet at Dalton Park Murton County Durham yesterday they had a selection of suits for £69.
At that price people have no excuse to not wear a suit on formal night.
Yes they have, they might want to have a casual cruise or miss the formal dinner that evening, all OK as far as P&O are concerned.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Include tips in the fare

Previously
Thomson Celebration x 4
Thomson Spirit x 3
Thomson Destiny x 3
Thomson Dream x 2
Thomson Majesty x 3
P&O Ventura x 6
P&O Oceana x 8
P&O Arcadia
P&O Britannia
P&O Aurora x 2
P&O Oriana
TUI Discovery x 2
NCL Epic

To come
Thomson Majesty 2017
P&O Oceana 2017
P&O Azura 2017
TUI Discovery 2018
TUI Explorer 2018
P&O Oceana 2018
Sunderland England
5,159 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by davecttr
Yes they have, they might want to have a casual cruise or miss the formal dinner that evening, all OK as far as P&O are concerned.
Each to their own i suppose.
Hampshire, England
1,549 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by Britboys
Couldn't agree more! I am someone who sails on a number of different lines but am still very happy to cruise with P&O as I feel they provide a good quality, good value product. Sadly, there seem to a few people around who see 'dissing' P&O as a sport or fun pastime.
Couldn't agree more Britboys.

And what really gets their goat is the fact that P&O have such a regular loyal following and, what's more to the point, cruise more often than the detractors.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dancing above the Waves.

Diving below them.

Manchester
166 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Originally posted by Bell Boy
Well I certainly do ! You'd be surprised at the comments I've heard ( on Cunard) from former P&O senior officers, who now have to rotate between P&O and Cunard.

They dread the thought of having to be rotated back.
Awe bless, it's such a cruel world.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Off the Map
63 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
Indeed! The OP who appears to have many undisclosed sources didn't say when this alleged discussion took place, presumably it was during the Port & Stilton when by then a few glasses of wine had been consumed and not just the bow ties were being loosened.
as it turns out my undisclosed source was correct with regards to the alcohol policy.
1,240 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Originally posted by artemis10
as it turns out my undisclosed source was correct with regards to the alcohol policy.
"Undisclosed Source", you seem to have a few of those. Think you've been watching too many crime dramas. More like someone who told someone else who I overheard telling someone else.
Staffordshire
1,973 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
I could easily name the Purser or whatever they are called these days about her attitude to dress code but do not think it is right or proper to do so on here. But while I agree to the cost of football shirts and designer jeans they are still a football shirt and whatever the cost neither have a place in any restaurant on formal evenings.