What made you decide to start cruising ?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:35 PM.
627 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
I was 19 and friends at work were going from Boston to Bermuda on a cruise. They asked if I wanted to go. I asked how much, they told me, I had the $$ and off we went. I completely fell in love with cruising.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Cruise Bermuda 1982
Carnival Cruise Bahamas 1986
Princess Day Cruise to Ensenada 1994
Royal Caribbean Mexico 2004
NCL Alaska 2012
NCL 12 Day Med. Cruise 2013
NCL Cuba 2017
London
81 Posts
Joined May 2016
I fancied to try it just the once and convinced hubby that 5 nights around the med would be a compromise as he really didn’t want to be at sea. I used my 40th birthday trump card. We both loved the different places to explore each day, and being spoilt on board. Been on one a year since then, although that is only 6 in all. Number 7 in less than 100 days, yippee!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Hampshire,England
337 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Like Linda I fancied cruising as it was always something I wanted to do but hubby really did not so having a special birthday that year I said I would do a three nighter on my own. He came along of course, and I had booked lots of treats thinking I wouldn’t be cruising ever again! That was five years ago and I think seven cruises ago, all except one on P&O. We were hooked straight away. There are four cruises in the pipeline so to speak! ❤️❤️

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Previous cruises
Azura September 2012 our first!
Aurora April 2013

Upcoming cruises

July 2014 Arcadia
May 2015 Azura
September 2015 Britannia
Gold Coast
10,184 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
I wanted to travel overseas to Britain and Europe and cruising to and fro was the way one travelled from Australia in 1969/70. Those cruises via the Panama over and return via South Africa set the tone for all future cruising. It was all about the destinations.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
825 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
In the far-off days when we were DINKIES, we were trying to decide what to do for our next summer holiday. For some unknown reason I'd always fancied cruising, so I said to DH that if we could try cruising that year, he could pick the holiday the next year. Our first cruise was on Canberra in the early 90s, an almost identical itinerary to the one we did this summer, down to the Canaries. It was in late October (over DH's birthday) and despite not brilliant weather and probably being the youngest people on board by a good margin, we had a wonderful time and DH was totally hooked.
A couple of years later we were in the same situation (debating main holiday) and a leaflet dropped through the letterbox from a local TA advertising a significant reduction on a cruise to the Eastern Med. As we'd both wanted to go places on the itinerary we booked immediately and had a fab 2 weeks on Sea Princess visiting Jordan, Egypt, Israel, Turkey and Greek Islands. Despite missed ports and other incidents that made it a very eventful cruise we loved it. We then had a 17-year gap before cruising again, one with RCI and 4 with P&O and cruise once every couple of years.
uk
507 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
We flew to new york for our silver wedding anniversary.
After five nights, we returned back to the uk, on qm2.
Have not been on a plane since. 2006. No jet lag, and would not
Have visited so many places without cruising. Although, it is now
Hard to find any new routes to travel. No flying.
Oh, i also live in southampton!
UK
1,411 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
What a lovely thread! I’m enjoying all these memories.
I’m relatively new to cruising having had our first one in 2012. I’ve always loved the sea. Like many others it was supposed to be a one off special for our 25th wedding anniversary! And guess what? We’ve been on one every year since even if it’s just a 4 or 5 nighter!
In 2018 I’m going with my friend who has never cruised as an adult but went on Canberra and the original Oriana as a child. Her husband refuses to try it so we’re going together! In February I’m also going on a 4 nighter with my hubby so he won’t miss out! Well that’s how I sold it to him!

5 Posts
Joined Nov 2017
We started cruising in 2011 to celebrate my wife's 50th birthday. Prior to that we usually drove to the South of France twice a year since I wont fly but 'she who must be obeyed' wanted to do something different.

Now done 8 RCI and 3 P&O cruises and have 4 P&O cruises in the pipeline but will still go to France once a year .
116 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
2010 (bad winter) aborted fly holiday. Poor treatment by holiday co.
So, trial 7 nights to fiords summer 2010, followed by Panama Canal cruise via Acapulco, followed by cruise addiction, mostly ex Southampton now
Southampton
19 Posts
Joined Sep 2015
We won a cruise in 1976 on the Ellinis, a ship of the Chandris line which later became Celebrity. Had a wonderful time but then we had children. I did 3 school cruises when I was teaching in the 90's which were enjoyable despite my colleague and I having 20 teenagers in tow. Since our children flew the nest , in 2003, we've been spending their inheritance with P&O and Cunard. It also helps living in Southampton.
Memphis
161 Posts
Joined Nov 2012
I was told to take a weeks vacation or loose my time. I had 3 weeks to plan. A friend convinced me to take a cruise. I booked 10 days out, Even with 2x solo rate, it was less than I looked at for other options.

Been cruising solo, with friends, family ever since.

Stoke on Trent, England
4,963 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by P&O SUE
What a lovely thread! I’m enjoying all these memories.
I’m relatively new to cruising having had our first one in 2012. I’ve always loved the sea. Like many others it was supposed to be a one off special for our 25th wedding anniversary! And guess what? We’ve been on one every year since even if it’s just a 4 or 5 nighter!
In 2018 I’m going with my friend who has never cruised as an adult but went on Canberra and the original Oriana as a child. Her husband refuses to try it so we’re going together! In February I’m also going on a 4 nighter with my hubby so he won’t miss out! Well that’s how I sold it to him!

Totally agree. A lovely thread and a great way of getting to know fellow CC members better in some way.
Happy cruising everyone :-)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed on:
P&O Ventura 15.08.17 : Spain & the Greek Islands
P&O Britannia 28.05.17 : Iberian Cruise
P&O Oceana 10.08.16 : Western Med fly cruise
P&O Britannia 25.07.15 : Iberia and Canaries
P&O Oceana 08.04.15 : Western Med
P&O Oceana 19.04.14 : Iberian Cruise
RCI Independence of the Seas 29.10.13 : Mini cruise
Celebrity Silhouette 12:08:13 : Greek Islands / Italy
Celebrity Silhouette 10:08:12 : Adriatic / Venice
Celebrity Silhouette 10:08:11 : Eastern Med/Holy Land
P&O Oceana August 2010 : Western Med
Ocean Village 02:08:09 : Eastern Med / Crete
Louis Cruises August 2001 : Egypt
Seascale,Cumbria,U.K.
5,723 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
We used to drive on the Continent for our holidays, but were finding parts of it not much fun, if the hotel wasn't good, or we didn't find a great restaurant, and it was getting tiring being constantly on the move.
We sailed back on the ferry which used to run from Hamburg to the UK which was about 24 hours on board, and both realised that that had been a highlight of our holiday. Soon after we saw an advert from a local TA, offering door to ship transport... it was from our front door to the Caribbean, where we were staggered at the sight of the massive Sea Princess.
We've hardly done a land holiday since.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jo.
20 cruises; 11 ships; 8 lines; 94 ports
113 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
When my husband first become disabled we used to fly to Tenerife as we had teenage children. My husband used to get stressed before the flight as he really didn't like having to be lifted on/off the plane, usually ending up bruised and battered. Family members had been cruising for years and kept telling us we would love it. My only encounter of big ships was to Denmark on a DFDS ship in the winter in gale force 11.. I kept saying no until my daughter herself cruised and took a photo of the disabled cabin and how easy it would be for us. That was it, down to the travel agents the next day. My husband now looks forward to his holiday as much as I do, in fact probably more. It is so much easier for him to be able to just get around on his own than going out in resorts. The only problem we encounter now is trying to get an accessible cabin. Fortunately I have 4 booked over the next 2 years.
Hampshire,England
337 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Yes I have enjoyed this thread, and wish it was like FB where you can click like on a posting! I have “liked” them all!

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Previous cruises
Azura September 2012 our first!
Aurora April 2013

Upcoming cruises

July 2014 Arcadia
May 2015 Azura
September 2015 Britannia
4 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
I haven't been on a cruise yet, but I'm hoping to soon. I was looking online for a holiday and saw an advert for the Strictly Come Dancing themed cruise. I love Strictly so I had a look at it. That cruise was too long and too expensive for me, but realised that a shorter cruise ticked every box for what I was looking for in a holiday. Plus I've always wanted to experience being on a ship.

I just wish I had realised this sooner, as the cruise I would have chosen is happening next week and I'll now have to wait a whole year for the next one.
Dorset, UK
8,839 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
We really wanted to go to the Fjords and decided cruising was the best way to do it. I am prone to travel sickness but thought it would be lovely and calm in the Fjords. That was true but I overlooked the North Sea crossing! Suffice to say it was my first experience of Force 9! However sailing down to the likes of Geiranger and Flam was absolutely amazing and I survived the rough seas without it putting me off cruising.
We were overwhelmed by the whole concept of a floating hotel, new destinations each day, comfortable accommodation, good food and were totally surprised by the superb entertainment (as others have mentioned, on Thomson).
We've never looked back and travelled on a variety of cruise line since to places I never imagined I would see - granted sometimes only for a day but what a joy to be able to experience so much. I'm still excited when we book another cruise - love the research, planning and revisiting old favourites as well as discovering something new. So lucky to be able to do it.
midlands, UK
681 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
We wanted to do something special for our 40th birthdays, they are 15 days apart, asked our TA at the time if he had any suggestions. He said had we thought about a cruise? No we hadn't but it was a thought to think of. We went away with armfuls of brochures. We came across a 2 week sailing on the Caribbean Princess that started the day after my birthday and ended on Hubbies. We geared up for it over 10 months and were super excited when our birthdays came around.
It didn't start well though as American Airlines misrouted one of our cases and sent it on it's own holiday with out us. It took 4 days to get it back to us and did put us off to a small degree. Princess did all the could to help us where possible, they gave us free tux and shoe hire as they were in that missing suitcase. They bought us snorkels and masks as again, in that missing suit case. I was at a loss as I had dresses and outfits I could wear but the shoes needed were yes in that other case to. We enjoyed the rest of the cruise but were unsure we would want to do another. And defiantly not a fly cruise.
Then 2 years later I got a promo email for a 2 day mini cruise from Southampton. Thought hey lets try it.
Been on a cruise every year since including 2 fly cruises. I tag up the cases as best I can before it's handed over at the airport and pray they don't make a similar mistake. so far it's not happened since.
Off again in 4 weeks, 1st real cruise on P&O and can't wait.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

[color="DarkOrchid"]Jules

November 2010, Caribbean Princess around the Caribbean, our 1st cruise.
September 2012 Grand Princess Mini Cruise
September 2013 Independence of the Seas Cork & Norway
September 2014 Emerald Princess Mediterranean Medley
August 2015 Island Princess Grand Mediterranean
January 2016 P&O Ventura, sampler cruise.....
October 2016. Carnival Vista Mediterranean cruise
December 2017 P&O Ventura Spain and Portugal Festive Cruise
Hope we find a good cruise to use our FCC with Princess on, can't wait to jump back on board with them again