Live from the Regal Princess First Ocean Medallion Cruise November 13 2017

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:39 PM.
Highland Village, Texas
4,321 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by thefloridacruiser
Somebody posted an unboxing of the medallion on youtube the other day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RluBeTcvkQQ&t=3s
Sharing
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Deedee

https://www.facebook.com/deedee.ricketts.3
[email protected]

"Got a Caribbean soul I can barely control
and some Texas hidden here in my heart"
from Migration by Jimmy Buffett

"I placed the sand as the boundary for the sea "
Jeremiah 5:22

CRUISE ADVENTURE #39

Our 22 Favorite Ships (all of them!):
Princess (9): Golden (3), Sapphire, Tahitian, Ruby (2), Crown (2)
Royal Caribbean (21): Voyager, Adventure (4), Liberty (4), Serenade (3), Mariner (2), Oasis, Jewel, Navigator (4), Legend
Holland America (1): Eurodam
Carnival (4): Freedom, Triumph, Conquest, Magic
Celebrity (3): Millennium, Silhouette, Solstice
1,141 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by thefloridacruiser
Somebody posted an unboxing of the medallion on youtube the other day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RluBeTcvkQQ&t=3s

Thanks for posting this! Part of me kinda wishes you would just have one OM you use for all your cruises. Seems kind of wasteful to get a new one each cruise.

Can’t wait to try this out, guess I’m gonna have to go find us an OM to book! Sadly I don’t think our PC cruise on the Coral in 19 will have it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival:
Miracle 2017 Mex Riviera

DCL:
Wonder 2017 Caribbean

NCL:
Spirit 2010 Caribbean

Princess:
Ruby Princess 2017 Mex Riviera, Royal Princess 2016 Eastern Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Caribbean, Star Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2012 Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2010 Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2007 Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2006 Caribbean

RCCL:
Oasis 2018 Eastern Caribbean

Windstar:
Wind Surf 2000 Caribbean
Arizona
1,178 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by Steelers0854
Thanks for posting this! Part of me kinda wishes you would just have one OM you use for all your cruises. Seems kind of wasteful to get a new one each cruise.

Can’t wait to try this out, guess I’m gonna have to go find us an OM to book! Sadly I don’t think our PC cruise on the Coral in 19 will have it.
I agree. Especially since its all electronic and you put in most of the info before the cruise.

Looking forward to it as well. Looks like fun!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Teresa
Upcoming:
Island Princess-Panama canal- April 2018 - 19 days

Completed:
Disney Wonder - Bahamas - October 2008 - 5 days
Golden Princess - Hawaii - April 2013 - 14 days
Ruby Princess - Caribbean - November 2014 - 7 days
Golden Princess - Alaska-August 2015 - 10 days
Crown Princess - Hawaii - October 2016 - 15 days

Ruby Princess - Mexican Rivera-October 2017 - 7 days
UK
2,359 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
Originally posted by greenie082756
I agree. Especially since its all electronic and you put in most of the info before the cruise.

I think they have a battery inside them so I’m guessing they have a limited life.
5 Posts
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by greenie082756

Nothing you enter actually goes into the device. The device simply contains an ID which is linked to your information on a server. You actually should not need to consistently reenter information because of this. They just assign the new device to your account information on the server. This is also how they can just give you a new one if you lose it on board.
Chelsea MA
4,194 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
Looking forward to following along. Just don’t forget to have FUN FUN and more Fun.....
Tony
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

southern california
375 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
I'm looking at the webcam right now showing the Regal, and the only cabin lights on appear to be mid aft on the Dolphin deck. Perhaps those are the cabins selected for the test before the whole ship go live?
New Cumberland,PA, USA
28,015 Posts
Joined May 2000
I tip my cap to those who like to be the Guinna pigs for something new on a cruise ship . Throughout our long life we have learned (the hard way) to avoid being the first for most things. We just got off the Regal last Sunday and did chat with one of the contractors who was aboard to work on some of the new systems. It will be very interesting to see how it all works...or if there will be a 1000 screaming passengers yelling "we can't get into our cabin."

Although I am old (probably ancient) I love new tech. But I am yet to be convinced that the medallions will benefit cruisers as much as the cruise lines who will now be able to track everyone's spending patterns, habits, etc. Think about being in a bar. Now, I have to pull out my cruise card to pay for a drink. With a medallion I will not have to pull out a card. That sure sounds like amazing progress worth millions.

Hank
St. Louis MO
935 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by 1emerald1
I'm looking at the webcam right now showing the Regal, and the only cabin lights on appear to be mid aft on the Dolphin deck. Perhaps those are the cabins selected for the test before the whole ship go live?

Nope the cabins in the pilot are mainly forward and mid ship from what we’ve heard. Ours is a forward port Marina deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Caribbean Princess (A605) - 8 day Southern Caribbean January 2017
Disney Dream (8582) - 3 day Bahamas September 2016
Celebrity Constellation (AC Deck 11 1114) - 5 day Western Caribbean December 2015
Ruby Princess (C753) - 10 day Classic Canada/New England October 2014
Royal Princess (R415) - 5 day Maiden Caribbean October 2013
Norwegian Sky (4009) - 3 day Bahamas July 2013
Disney Dream (6673) - 4 day Bahamas/3 day Bahamas B-t-B January/February 2012
Celebrity Equinox (CC Sky Deck 1245) - 11 day Eastern Mediterranean October 2011
Emerald Princess (D409) - 7 day Eastern Caribbean April 2010
Golden Princess (A256) - 7 day Mexican Riviera April 2008
Regal Princess (C170) - 10 day Panama Canal Westbound February 2007
Island Princess (C424) - 7 day Alaska Southbound May 2006
Sun Princess (C635) - 10 day Southern Caribbean April 2004
Sea Princess (C321) - 7 day Western Caribbean April 2001
Canada
502 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Originally posted by Steelers0854
Part of me kinda wishes you would just have one OM you use for all your cruises. Seems kind of wasteful to get a new one each cruise.
Excellent idea!
St. Louis MO
935 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Our view isn’t the greatest since we’re only on the 3rd floor. Strange to see Regal docked overnight here!.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Caribbean Princess (A605) - 8 day Southern Caribbean January 2017
Disney Dream (8582) - 3 day Bahamas September 2016
Celebrity Constellation (AC Deck 11 1114) - 5 day Western Caribbean December 2015
Ruby Princess (C753) - 10 day Classic Canada/New England October 2014
Royal Princess (R415) - 5 day Maiden Caribbean October 2013
Norwegian Sky (4009) - 3 day Bahamas July 2013
Disney Dream (6673) - 4 day Bahamas/3 day Bahamas B-t-B January/February 2012
Celebrity Equinox (CC Sky Deck 1245) - 11 day Eastern Mediterranean October 2011
Emerald Princess (D409) - 7 day Eastern Caribbean April 2010
Golden Princess (A256) - 7 day Mexican Riviera April 2008
Regal Princess (C170) - 10 day Panama Canal Westbound February 2007
Island Princess (C424) - 7 day Alaska Southbound May 2006
Sun Princess (C635) - 10 day Southern Caribbean April 2004
Sea Princess (C321) - 7 day Western Caribbean April 2001
New Jersey
3,635 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Hi, John. Will be an avid follower of your Ocean Medallion tales (and love anything to do with Regal Princess anyway). Thanks for taking the time!

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown
Chief Content Strategist
Cruise Critic

Originally posted by mcg1313
Claire and I are about to embark on our 27 day (maybe more) adventure on or favorite Princess Ship.
The beautiful Regal Princess will shine as the first of a long line of Ocean Medallion Class Cruise Ships. We don't exactly know what is in store for us but are looking forward with baited breath to the possibilities of new adventures, old friends and another dose of "come back new" and "Escape completely".
We look forward to seeing you there (or telling you about our experience) as we make History as the first (paying) passengers on the seas of new possibilities for fun, fun and did I mention fun!
We will sign in LIVE at our first opportunity and share our adventure.
Join in the conversation, ask questions, answer them I you can. This is my first time doing this and I will try to get the answers you need and, as just a passenger, unravel the unknown wonders of these first cruises.

2 day and counting,

John McGbbon
FL
20 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
I'm looking forward to seeing how the OM is working. We sail on the TA in April so hopefully the whole ship will be operational by that time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
45+ cruises & continually adding to that!! Lines sailed: Princess, Carnival, Holland America, RCI, Norwegian, Premier, Dolphin, Regency
USA
4,398 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
Originally posted by 1emerald1
I was told by the concierge a couple days ago that the medallion will be tested on the rooms in the 200's-300's, but she didn't say which deck. She also said that about 100 people will have them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Life's Milestones are Best Celebrated in Nautical Miles.

Oceania Insignia 1-2019 (World Cruise - 161 days)
Ruby Princess 9-2018 (Seattle-Vancouver - 1 day) **Elite**
Ruby Princess 9-2018 (Northern California Coastal - 7 days)
Oceania Insignia 12-2017 (Cuba - 7 days)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regal Princess 11-2017 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)
Caribbean Princess 3-2017 (Southern Caribbean - 8 days)
Celebrity Silhouette 8-2016 (British Isles, Guernsey, Belgium, Amsterdam - 14 days)
Grand Princess 11-2015 (Hawaii - 15 days)

Celebrity Infinity 10-2014 (TA - England, Azores, Bermuda, Bahamas - 14 days)
Celebrity Reflection 3-2014 (Eastern Caribbean - 7 days)
Crown Princess 7-2013 (Baltics/Russia - 14 days)
Emerald Princess 3-2012 (Eastern Caribbean - 10 days)
Caribbean Princess 6-2011 (Canada/New England - 9 days)
Crown Princess 9-2010 (TA - British Isles, Iceland, Greenland, Canada - 14 days)
Coral Princess 12-2008 (Full Panama Canal, Central America, Mexico - 14 days)
Sun Princess 9-2007 (Alaska - 7 days)
Carnival Paradise 9-2003 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)
Carnival Fantasy 1-1990 (Bahamas - 4 days)
Carnival Holiday 12-1989 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)

Leesburg, Florida
544 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
I was able to create an account on the Ocean Compass website, but it won't allow me to enter my upcoming cruise booking number. Well I can enter it, but it says: Unfortunately, your reservation wasn't found. Called the number for OM Concierge. She said they were still working on it and hadn't released it yet. She was surprised that I had found it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Don and Bing
5,641 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by drpack
I was able to create an account on the Ocean Compass website, but it won't allow me to enter my upcoming cruise booking number. Well I can enter it, but it says: Unfortunately, your reservation wasn't found. Called the number for OM Concierge. She said they were still working on it and hadn't released it yet. She was surprised that I had found it.
Is this is?

https://www.ocean.com/ocean/compass
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App
PA.
257 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Following
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Ecstasy 1995