Admin fee on tips

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:59 PM.
UK
2,359 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
Not a Princess issue, or at least I hope not. A friend has just told me that RCCL take a admin fee out of the daily gratuity that passengers pay on their ships, they do this as they as the company collect and distribute the money, I didn’t believe this but on checking the RCCL website it is true. Has anyone heard of this being the case with Princess.
19,434 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Not heard of it, nor noticed it on the bill. Unless it is included on the daily gratuity itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
UK
2,359 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
No it’s not on the RCCL bill, it’s just that the $13.50 a day doesn’t completely go to the crew
Chelsea MA
4,194 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
Wow!! That’s just soooooooo wrong. It’s like stealing from the people that work so hard...
I hope Carnival-Princess never decides to do it.
Tony
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Colorado
1,795 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Any actual evidence of this? Have never heard of it and certainly hasn't been reported on RCI board or from my experience talking with RCI crew.
Florida
293 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Per Carnival

For your convenience, Carnival automatically charges the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account.

The total amount is $12.95 per guest, per day and breakdown as follows:
  • Stateroom service team - $3.90 per day
  • Dining room service team - $6.10 per day
  • Alternative services team* - $2.00 per day(*galley, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members)
Land of Bad Comedy
3,144 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
I don't see any "Admin fee on tips" on the Royal Caribbean Website. If it is there, please copy and paste it to the thread.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
It tastes like chicken.
Miami, Florida
164 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
Originally posted by Lucky TGO
Wow!! That’s just soooooooo wrong. It’s like stealing from the people that work so hard...
I hope Carnival-Princess never decides to do it.
Tony
Sorry, but Princess and HAL both skim about 10% from the tip pool before it is paid to the crew. They use this money to pay credit card fees and to establish a "slush fund" to cover tip pool shortages on other ships when too many Brits and Aussies remove the auto-tips.
WA state
2,954 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Originally posted by CHPURSER
Sorry, but Princess and HAL both skim about 10% from the tip pool before it is paid to the crew. They use this money to pay credit card fees and to establish a "slush fund" to cover tip pool shortages on other ships when too many Brits and Aussies remove the auto-tips.
And you know this for a fact, exactly how? Not trying to sound snarky here, but it's easy to say something like without any real proof or reference.

Tom
Somewhere On Earth
2,005 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
This should be a good thread. I'm making popcorn.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sent from my cave using smoke signals after rubbing two sticks together to make fire.
Las Vegas
416 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Originally posted by Bill B
This should be a good thread. I'm making popcorn.

lol ... yep! Brits, Aussies????? Opinions?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Los Angeles Ca.
5,127 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Originally posted by antsp
Not a Princess issue, or at least I hope not. A friend has just told me that RCCL take a admin fee out of the daily gratuity that passengers pay on their ships, they do this as they as the company collect and distribute the money, I didn’t believe this but on checking the RCCL website it is true. Has anyone heard of this being the case with Princess.
Princess does not give all of your auto tip to the crew. They use some for employee incentive programs and crew parties and other crew related things. Although this isn't an Admin fee it's deceptive because people believe all their tip money goes into crew pockets.
SoCal, USA
6,439 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by voljeep
Per Carnival

For your convenience, Carnival automatically charges the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account.

The total amount is $12.95 per guest, per day and breakdown as follows:
  • Stateroom service team - $3.90 per day
  • Dining room service team - $6.10 per day
  • Alternative services team* - $2.00 per day(*galley, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members)
So is 95 cents the admin fee?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
^_^
born2tvl at yahoo dot com (please put "Cruise Critic" in subject line)
CRUISERS from California - Click here

UPCOMING CRUISES:

GREAT MEMORIES: NCL Dawn W. Caribbean (7 days) March 2017 ~ Westerdam Mexican Riviera (7 days) Oct 2016 (4 stars! ) ~ Nieuw Amsterdam Alaska Inside Passage (7 days) May 2016 ~ NCL Sun Mexican Riviera (w/ Acapulco and Manzanillo) (11 days) October 2015 (the sweet suite life!) ~ Noordam Alaska Inside Passage (7 days) May 2015 (Bronze Medallion!) ~ Noordam Pacific Coastal (4 days) May 2015 ~ Zuiderdam Alaska Inside Passage (7 days) May 2013 ~ Zuiderdam Pacific Coastal (4 days) May 2013 ~ Zaandam Mexican Riviera (w/ Loreto) (8 days) Apr 2013 ~ Oosterdam Circle Hawaii (14 days) Mar 2012 ~ Oosterdam Mexican Riviera (7 days) Dec 2011 ~ Oosterdam Sea of Cortez (10 days) Apr 2011 (Mother/Daughter Cruise!) ~ Oosterdam Mexican Riviera (7 days) Nov 2010 (First DVS & Neptune Lounge!) ~ Carnival Spirit Alaska (7 days) June 2010 (aft-wrap!) ~ Oosterdam Mexican Riviera (7 days) Nov 2009 ~ NCL Star CTN (2 days) Nov 2009 ~ Carnival Elation Baja Mexico (5 days) Jan 2009 ~ Oosterdam Mexican Riviera (7 days) Apr 2008 ~ Golden Princess Mexican Riviera (7 days) Nov 2007 ~ Monarch of the Seas Baja Mexico (3 days) Jun 2005 ~ Ryndam Mexican Riviera (7 days) Nov 2003 ~ Viking Serenade Baja Mexico (4 days) Apr 2001 (Dad's 85th B-Day!) ~ Maasdam Panama Canal (full transit) (10 days) Apr 2000 ~ Rotterdam V Alaska (7 days) Aug 1997 (I'm hooked!)
Miami, Florida
164 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
Originally posted by Pierlesscruisers
And you know this for a fact, exactly how? Not trying to sound snarky here, but it's easy to say something like without any real proof or reference.

Tom
The Chief Purser on Princess is in charge of the tip pool program. At the conclusion of each voyage, my staff and I had to administer all the collections, reports, and other paperwork related to the financial aspects of the voyage.
I'm not going to post a Princess internal financial report on CC.
You can choose to believe it or not. It's not my problem.
Chelsea MA
4,194 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
My father always told me never let anyone handle your money. If you do they’ll figure a way to keep some. My father was a smart businessman. I guess this provides he was right. Thanks Dad!!!
The Captain of The Rowboat,
Tony
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Toronto, Canada
3,708 Posts
Joined May 2006
I cannot recall seeing an official statement by any cruise line on the subject. Unless and until such appears we only have speculation.
Stanthorpe, Queensland
854 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by B&J1
lol ... yep! Brits, Aussies????? Opinions?
Yes. I always leave the auto tip in place but don’t tip every 5 minutes on top of it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sapphire Princess April 07 Sydney - LA
Dawn Princess September 2008 San Francisco - Sydney
Diamond Princess November 2010 Singapore - Sydney
Coral Princess October 2011 FLL - LA
Radiance of the Seas October 2011 2 Night Cruise Sydney - Sydney

Email Maurice