Admin fee on tips

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:47 PM.
Kawerau NZ
5,104 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
As a Kiwi who abhors the whole idea of tipping I would never stop the DSC but accept that as a final payment of all tipping except for our cabin steward usually. When in Rome etc!! So I do reluctantly tip while in the USA or Canada.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mike
Pom by Birth; Coin-Collecting Retired Kiwi by Choice; Canuck by Family Ties.

Contact at "casofilia @ xtra . co . nz" (Miss out the gaps)

Previous Cruises:-
#1 Sep 13 Alaska Sapphire Princess
#2 Mar 14 Hawai'i PoA
#3,4,5 Oct 14 Vancouver-Panama-Miami-Bahamas Pearl
#6,7 May 15 Norway & Baltic Star
#8,9 Sep 15 Quebec-Boston-Quebec Dawn
#10,11 Mar 16 Buenos Aires-San Francisco Sun
#12,13 Oct 16 Rome-Singapore Star

#14 Jun 17 Round Britain Caribbean Princess

Jul 17 Dover-New York Sea Princess (Via North Norway & Iceland)

Oct 17 Honolulu-Sydney Jewel
Feb 18 Sydney- Tokyo Jewel

Sep 18 Round Australia Sea Princess

Queensland, Australia
281 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by Pierlesscruisers
And you know this for a fact, exactly how? Not trying to sound snarky here, but it's easy to say something like without any real proof or reference.

Tom
With you Tom, and also why just Brits and Aussies?? we have auto tips included in our fares on our cruises out of Aus but pay auto tips on all other cruises and just as many “other nationalities” talk about removing auto tips, not Brits and Aussies

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rhapsody of the Seas - NZ 2008
ms Zaandam - Asia 2010
Jewel of the Seas - Baltics 2011
Rhapsody of the Seas - South Pacific 2012
Silver Shadow - Alaska 2013
Voyager of the Seas - South Pacific 2013
MSC Orchestra - Gallipoli 2015 Cruise
Celebrity Solstice - NZ Dec 2015
Carnival Spirit - March 2016
ms Koningsdam - Norse Legends - July 2016
P&O Pacific Aria - October 30 2016
Ovation of the Seas - NZ - Dec 2016
Golden Princess - PNG & Sth Pacific - Sep 2017
Radiance of The Seas - Tasmania - Dec 2017
Pacific Eden - Sea Break - Wine n Food - May 2018

Carnival Spirit - Singapore to Sydney - June 2018
Queen Elizabeth - Southampton to Melbourne - Jan 2019

Queensland, Australia
281 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by B&J1
lol ... yep! Brits, Aussies????? Opinions?

Seriously?? Only .......

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rhapsody of the Seas - NZ 2008
ms Zaandam - Asia 2010
Jewel of the Seas - Baltics 2011
Rhapsody of the Seas - South Pacific 2012
Silver Shadow - Alaska 2013
Voyager of the Seas - South Pacific 2013
MSC Orchestra - Gallipoli 2015 Cruise
Celebrity Solstice - NZ Dec 2015
Carnival Spirit - March 2016
ms Koningsdam - Norse Legends - July 2016
P&O Pacific Aria - October 30 2016
Ovation of the Seas - NZ - Dec 2016
Golden Princess - PNG & Sth Pacific - Sep 2017
Radiance of The Seas - Tasmania - Dec 2017
Pacific Eden - Sea Break - Wine n Food - May 2018

Carnival Spirit - Singapore to Sydney - June 2018
Queen Elizabeth - Southampton to Melbourne - Jan 2019

Newport, South Wales, UK
2,448 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Originally posted by Porky55
Seriously?? Only .......

Didn't you know, we're the skinflints of the world, and regularly stiff the cruise staff as we don't adhere to the USA culture for over-tipping every man and his dog.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sea Princess - Caribbean Dream 3rd Jan 2009
Coral Princess - Panama Canal 22nd Nov 2009
Mariner of the Seas - Mexican Riviera 3rd Oct 2010
P&O Arcadia - Baltics 7th July 2011
Celebrity Solstice - Eastern Med 4th Nov 2011
Caribbean Princess - Norway & Iceland 20th July 2012
Celebrity Millennium - South East Asia 9th Dec 2012
Crown Princess - Mediterranean Medley 11th May 2013
Coral Princess - Alaska Northbound 28th Aug 2013
Emerald Princess - Canaries & Iberia 31st May 2014
Thomson Celebration - Best of the Black Sea 6th Oct 2014 - We cancelled due to Putin's ongoing KGB tactics in Ukraine.
Thomson Majesty - Aegean Delights 10th Oct 2014
Thomson Majesty - Adriatic Explorer 17th Oct 2014
Rhapsody of the Seas - Aegean 22nd June 2015
Explorer of the Seas - Middle East & Asia 23rd Oct 2015
Celebrity Millennium - Ultimate Japan & Hong Kong with Mt Fuji by Bullet Train 13th Oct 2016
Vision of the Seas - Dubai & Emirates 23rd Jan 2017
Crown Princess - Midnight Sun & Summer Solstice 17 Jun 2017
Crown Princess - Classic Canada & New England 4th Oct 2017
P&O Oriana - Canaries & Iberia 9th Mar 2018
Sapphire Princess - Spain & France 5th May 2018
Sun Princess - 5 Day NSW Tour and New Zealand 20th Nov 2018

manchester England
292 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by CHPURSER
Sorry, but Princess and HAL both skim about 10% from the tip pool before it is paid to the crew. They use this money to pay credit card fees and to establish a "slush fund" to cover tip pool shortages on other ships when too many Brits and Aussies remove the auto-tips.
Excuse me I'm British and I have never removed the auto tips, the service would need to be very bad for me to do so. The crew work very hard and deserve the tips.
However I do wish they would just incorporate the charge into the cruise fare which I believe happens on cruises from Australia.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app
183 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Sorry, but Princess and HAL both skim about 10% from the tip pool before it is paid to the crew. They use this money to pay credit card fees and to establish a "slush fund" to cover tip pool shortages on other ships when too many Brits and Aussies remove the auto-tips.

Wow, really? While we don't tip over here, when in Rome do as Romans do.
I will admit we struggled with who and how much to tip whilst travelling the US. After 3 months we were still clueless, however never touched our auto tips, that is just part of the fare.
Funny though that while waiting in the guest services line last year, everyone around me was removing their tips due to the fact the captain changed itinerary due to approaching hurricane. Only accent around me was the US one............
gold coast
210 Posts
Joined Feb 2009

maybe it also covers cheap cruises for you americans and the bucket loads of OBC you all go on about,
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Somewhere On Earth
2,005 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
So, Princess uses gratuity money to pay some of their operational costs; and, does not 'chip in' to meet guaranteed minimums when tips fall short - it's just 'redistributed' gratuity money?

That's interesting.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sent from my cave using smoke signals after rubbing two sticks together to make fire.
Long Island, NY
5,561 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by Bill B
This should be a good thread. I'm making popcorn.
Don't forget the butter
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mike
Somewhere On Earth
2,005 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Originally posted by Iamcruzin
Don't forget the butter
Don't have enough... I'm in the dining room, it's rationed.

Maybe Princess could skim a little more off the gratuities and put it toward purchasing butter for the MDR?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sent from my cave using smoke signals after rubbing two sticks together to make fire.
Holly Springs, NC
203 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
I posted this schedule in another tread a couple of weeks ago.The information was taken from the respective websites. You can ask what the Alternatives Services or Other Hotel Services are, but neither indicate an administrative fee is included.

Carnival Cruise’s Auto Gratuity is $12.95, split as follows:
Housekeeping Team - $4.05
Dining Team - $6.40
Alternative Services - $2.50

RCCL’s Auto Gratuity is $13.50, split as follows:
Stateroom Attendant - $3.45
Dining Services - $6.10
Other Hotel Services - $3.95
1,434 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by Bill B
So, Princess uses gratuity money to pay some of their operational costs; and, does not 'chip in' to meet guaranteed minimums when tips fall short - it's just 'redistributed' gratuity money?

That's interesting.
Remember that all service charge money is not distributed on the ship you sailed.

I was surprised how many Princess Elite cruisers were unaware of that policy.

Annie
Hollywood, FL
336 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
Originally posted by broberts
I cannot recall seeing an official statement by any cruise line on the subject. Unless and until such appears we only have speculation.
Don't ever expect a cruise line to make an official statement about this. Look at how quickly people have objected here.

Personnel are PROHIBITED from discussing internal policies. (I doubt an active member of the purser's staff would make statements on here.) Yet some have spoken up and there have been other discussions on here about this.

While Princess passengers are automatically charged the gratuity, Princess doesn't automatically distribute 100% directly to the people you think.

Ever wonder why waitstaff push those extras? Drinks and bottles of wine; after dinner drink specials; paid reservations for wine tastings; etc.

There are incentive programs in place, and making goal means a financial reward.

I doubt the portion not paid directly is ever used for anything unrelated, such as marketing or cleaning supplies. And perhaps that's why the cruise lines feel that "how" they state the distribution to guests and "what" they actually do both align.

What I find distasteful is a situation I witnessed two days ago on board Crown, at the Guest Services Desk. Two blue card passengers were learning through explanation by the Guest Service Agent why this charge was on each account. Their reaction seemed to indicate the charges were unexpected and perhaps not budgeted.

I am certain that I heard the Guest Service Agent inform then that they could have the charges removed.

I personally wish Princess would just bake in the fare what they felt they NEEDED to allocate towards those positions as a gratuity and incentive bonus/gratuity. This would eliminate the option of removing it.

If there's a service issue, speak up at the time it occurs. Rather then removing $13.95 (or whatever) per day simply because they forgot the lemon for the iced tea.
Los Angeles Ca.
5,127 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Originally posted by rbt001

If there's a service issue, speak up at the time it occurs. Rather then removing $13.95 (or whatever) per day simply because they forgot the lemon for the iced tea.
You don't have to remove your tips entirely if they forgot your lemon, you can reduce them to $10 PP PD which is what the staff actually will receive and feel you have tipped the staff but not the Corp. offices.
Hollywood, FL
336 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
Originally posted by cruzsnooze
You don't have to remove your tips entirely if they forgot your lemon, you can reduce them to $10 PP PD which is what the staff actually will receive and feel you have tipped the staff but not the Corp. offices.
It doesn't work that way: the entire tip pool is reduced. The percentage allocated for incentives etc. still remains.

I was making the point that the auto-gratuity shouldn't be touched, and I was implying that people remove it, justifying their actions using silly things, when in reality I personally think it was their own financial motivations.
WA state
2,957 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Originally posted by Porky55
With you Tom, and also why just Brits and Aussies?? we have auto tips included in our fares on our cruises out of Aus but pay auto tips on all other cruises and just as many “other nationalities” talk about removing auto tips, not Brits and Aussies

Porky, I'm a bit confused here. My comment had nothing to do with who does auto tips or not or with Brits & Aussies. Oh, well, it's Monday....

Tom
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
1,658 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Being Canadian, we tip everybody all the time...it's a cultural thing. However, we don't care what everyone else does....just not our business. We take care of "our" staff as generously as we deem appropriate in cash at the end of the cruise in addition to the auto grats. Makes us happy, makes them happy. Win, win for all.
Minden, NV
1,236 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Every time I read one of these blogs I always think back to the motivation of some Marketing Executive, who in my opinion was brilliant.........the average and majority of people will leave the tips on (mainly from guilt), then the average and majority of people will provide additional tips to their servers because that was the way we were trained as customary and we don't want to look cheap when that steward is standing there waving good by!

Win win for the cruise line......they make up the difference for those who remove the tips and don't pay and in probably most instances, get their employees more tips than they normally would have received.

This is what I do and I know I tip more now than I used too!!!!! I'm just one of the sheep who fell into line! Always chuckle to myself but know that I have had excellent service and the additional tips are normally warranted.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Our previous cruises have included:
1981 - Sitmar - Fairwind - Carribean / 1983 - Azure Seas - Baja
2001 - Royal Carribean - Ensenada /2004 - Carnival Pride - Mexico
2006 - Princess Regal - Alaska / 2007 - Carnival Spirit - Acapulco
2008 - Carnival Elation - Cabo / 2008 - Island Princess - Panama Canal
2009 - Carnival Spirit - Ixtapa / 2009 - Carnival Spirit - Hawaii
2010 - Carnival Splendor - Puerta Vallarta / 2010 -Carnival Paradise
2010 - Carnival Spirit - Cabo / 2011 - Carnival Spirit - Mexican Rivera
2011 - Carnival Spirit - Cabo / 2012 - RCL Serenade of the Seas - Med
2013 - Carnival Inspiration - Catalina / 2013 - Carnival Glory - NY/Canada
2014 - Carnival Glory - Carribean / 2015 - Carnival Inspiration - Ensenada

- Carnival Dream - New Orleans / 2015 - HAL Volendam - Alaska
2016 - Ruby Princess - Alaska /2017 - CarnivalMiracle - Mexico
Upcoming - Ruby Princess March 2018
Kennett Square, PA, USA
749 Posts
Joined Dec 2000
Its amazing how the gratuity payment has evolved.... Early days you handed an envelope to cabin attendents, dining room servers, maitre'D. I prefered this as it was more personable and I found I actually received better service in those days. Of course, we then had the passengers who conveniently would not tip which did impact the staff who worked very hard all week.... Very sad. Other gratuitys for bar drinks, etc were added into the Point of sale purchase. That was it.

Fast forward some years and now all the ships are automatically adding and you have to go out of your way to adjust (if you need/want to). On top of this they are now adding in additional gratuity charges for other areas???? Of course the same still holds for point of sale purchases.

The additional monies added to the gratuity fees bothers me. Tipping is a choice and while I can live with auto billing tips for dining and cabin service... and I normally pay additional (cash), especially to cabin attendants, I feel the other admin/serv added on amount is another way of the cruise lines squeezing us. And I sometimes wonder if the dining/cabin staff get the full allocation as stated??

They say everything is for convenience..... Bull. Another way to sneak in additional amounts under gratuity money for services we have always expected and paid for in previous years!! I mean they did have guest services 30 years ago on ships!!

Things used to be so simple and proper....Now a days blurry and hidden!!
123 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Originally posted by Lady Arwen
Being Canadian, we tip everybody all the time...it's a cultural thing. However, we don't care what everyone else does....just not our business. We take care of "our" staff as generously as we deem appropriate in cash at the end of the cruise in addition to the auto grats. Makes us happy, makes them happy. Win, win for all.
Exactly how we operate as well. If the staff we interact with daily (room steward, MDR server, bartenders at select places like Crooners) does a spot on job, we always give them a little extra cash in hand as discretely as we can.