Places to stay near Fort Lauderdale - any good suggestions please

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:35 AM.
#1
Newmarket, Suffolk
28 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
Hi Everyone,

My partner and I are flying over to Miami on December 12th, to spent a week in the area before joining our cruise on the Royal Princess on December 20th.

Can anyone suggest any good areas to stay?


Would we be better off going to a hotel in Fort Lauderdale, or maybe down the coast a bit in Hollywood, or maybe Miami it self.

We would like to have some beach time, but also have a look around the area.

If you could give me some ideas that would be so great. I would appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance.

Angie & Jeremy
#2
19,563 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
There are a number of hotels along SE 17th St. like Embassy Suites. Near the cruise port and other conveniences.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#3
Greenville, SC, USA
52,288 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
Embassy Suites and others in that area are convenient to Total Wines and Publix (grocery store) for any last minute purchases. There are also a number of restaurants in that area.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Paul
#4
St. Augustine, FL
7,205 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by PinkJellyBaby
Hi Everyone,

My partner and I are flying over to Miami on December 12th, to spent a week in the area before joining our cruise on the Royal Princess on December 20th.

Can anyone suggest any good areas to stay?


Would we be better off going to a hotel in Fort Lauderdale, or maybe down the coast a bit in Hollywood, or maybe Miami it self.

We would like to have some beach time, but also have a look around the area.

If you could give me some ideas that would be so great. I would appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance.

Angie & Jeremy
We're staying at the Embassy Suites on SE 17th Street in Fort Lauderdale. They have a nice evening reception with drinks and snacks and an included breakfast.
It's close to the port in Ft. Lauderdale and you can get a cab or uber or rent a car.
How did you plan to get from Miami Airport to Ft. Lauderdale?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Susan and Chuck
Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away!

CARNIVAL, CUNARD, ROYAL CARIBBEAN, CELEBRITY, PRINCESS, MSC
#5
South Florida
4,715 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
With a week to spend there is absolutely no reason to choose a hotel specifically convenient to Port Everglades. If South Beach (Miami Beach) is in your budget I would certainly head there. Hollywood Beach would also work and would be a bit less costly with weekly rates found at some properties.

But you need to get cracking. With barely four weeks to go many deals will be sold out. I don't know if you use a travel agent but it may take one to get a week's reservation in a preferred location so close in.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Debarking is a cruel procedure done to dogs.
Upgrades, Upsellls and Move Over Offers are completely different things.
As are being denied boarding and being disembarked early.
And don't get me started on Port Charges vs. Government Taxes, Fees, and Port Expenses.
The Jones Act is for cargo. The PVSA is "that terrible law" that restricts USA domestic sailings. But without which there would likely be no cruise ships with casinos, duty free shops, and international crew members willing to work fantastically hard every single day.
Lots of people fly in the morning of the cruise and catch crazy early flights home. Why ask us if you can? Just to be harassed by the regulars?
No hotels have free shuttles, free breakfast, free wifi, or free parking. You pay in the rate. And could have found a better deal paying by the piece.
And don't forget: the cruise line is in complete control of the weather, political unrest, medical emergencies, and anything else that delays or re-routes your cruise. Be sure to demand compensation as it is you and only you who were affected.
#6
new york
590 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
I also recommend Embassy Suites, especially if you don't have a car. It's within walking distance to some casual restaurants and the already mentioned Publix and Total Wine. It's very close to the port too!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebrity Summit San Juan to Bayonne 4/22/17
Regal Princess Eastern Caribbean 1/21/18
Celebrity Millennium Hong Kong to Shanghai 3/18/18
Coral Princess Panama Canal 2/15/19
#7
NSW
2 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
Hi

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton and it was so close to the docks,
from our room we could see our ship dock, under $10 for a taxi.
So would certainly recommended it.
#8
Petaluma, Ca. 94954
29,499 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Dozens and dozens of threads on the Florida Departure board on hotels and transport. Mods will probably move this there.

We are also Embassy Suites fans.
#9
South Florida & Shenandoah Valley, VA
5,442 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by fishywood
With a week to spend there is absolutely no reason to choose a hotel specifically convenient to Port Everglades. If South Beach (Miami Beach) is in your budget I would certainly head there. Hollywood Beach would also work and would be a bit less costly with weekly rates found at some properties.

But you need to get cracking. With barely four weeks to go many deals will be sold out. I don't know if you use a travel agent but it may take one to get a week's reservation in a preferred location so close in.
Absolutely agree. The Embassy Suites and other hotels along 17th Street are convenient to the port for a one night stay but could be anywhere in the USA (except for the palm trees) - they are clustered along a 6 lane road that alternates hotels and strip malls.

Take a look at www.sunny.org for info on Fort Lauderdale area hotels, attractions and transportation. In addition to going south to Hollywood Beach or South Beach (Miami) you have the option of heading north to Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, Pompano Beach and Deerfield Beach.
#10
Syracuse, NY
174 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
I suggest the south beach area of Miami. Beach access along with lively area full of restaurants, shops, and night life. We stayed one night post cruise at the Blue Moon in March and enjoyed it so much we are returning in a few weeks prior to our cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
MSC Divina 12/2/17
MSC Seaside 3/2/18
Disney Fantasy 4/21/18
NCL Breakaway TA 10/2/18


Chandris Amerikanis 1986
Carnival Fantasy 1993
Costa Allegra 1994
Costa Atlantica 2004
Carnival Dream 2011
Carnival Victory 2012
NCL Getaway 2017
Disney Dream 2017
#12
Australia
48 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
Another vote for Embassy Suites on 17th. Evening Reception, 5 min walk to markets, restaurants, cafes and the trolley to the beach stops at the shops going and opposite on the way home. Great location, clean and runs a shuttle to the port.
#13
London
110 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Hi, a few years ago my partner and I stayed at the Westin Diplomat, Hollywood - beautiful hotel right on the beach. We were on the eleventh floor and the view was amazing.

In Fort Lauderdale we have stayed at Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six and can definitely recommend staying here in one of the tower rooms overlooking the marina. They have a shuttle to the cruise terminal (which is right across the street.

We are going over to Florida 2 weeks yesterday to board the Regal Princess on 26th November and this time we are staying at the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina in a high marina view room - I will let you know what it’s like once we’ve stayed there (I usually write a live from blog).

We usually just walk to the terminal if the ship is at pier 2 - it’s an easy eight minute walk from Pier Sixty-Six or the Hilton (though the other piers are too far and difficult to access on foot). Others are right when they say that from the hotels in SE 17th Street its close to Publix; there’s also a nice little Starbucks almost opposite Embassy Suites and a Walgreens just on the corner of the street leading to the cruise terminals - all very easy and convenient.

Wherever you choose to stay i’m sure you will have an amazing time - have fun.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises:

11/2017 - Regal Princess; Western Caribbean

12/2017 - P&O Oceana; Brugge Christmas Markets

03/2018 - Caribbean Princess; Circle Caribbean

09/2018 - Saphire Princess; Scandinavia

10/2018 - P&O Ventura; Brugge

12/2018 - Viking Sky; Christmas Mediterranean Cruise

03/2019 - Australia land tour and Majestic Princess; New Zealand

Already Sailed:
09/2014 - Regal Princess; Grand Mediterranean
03/2015 - Royal Princess; Eastern Caribbean
09/2015 - Celebrity Eclipse; Canaries and Azores
11/2015 - Regal Princess; Western Caribbean
03/2016 - Royal Princess; Southern Caribbean
08/2016 - Emerald Princess; North Cape and Norwegian Fjords
02/2017 - P&O Britannia; Frflatt's 60th birthday Caribbean Cruise
04/2017 - Majestic Princess; Inaugral season in the Mediterranean
06/2017 - P&O Azura; Guernsey
08/2017 - P&O Azura; Guernsey
09/2017 - P&O Britannia; Brugge
09/2017 - RCCL Navigator of the Seas; Canaries and N. Africa
#15
London
162 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Originally posted by Frflatt
Hi, a few years ago my partner and I stayed at the Westin Diplomat, Hollywood - beautiful hotel right on the beach. We were on the eleventh floor and the view was amazing.

In Fort Lauderdale we have stayed at Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six and can definitely recommend staying here in one of the tower rooms overlooking the marina. They have a shuttle to the cruise terminal (which is right across the street.

We are going over to Florida 2 weeks yesterday to board the Regal Princess on 26th November and this time we are staying at the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina in a high marina view room - I will let you know what it’s like once we’ve stayed there (I usually write a live from blog).

We usually just walk to the terminal if the ship is at pier 2 - it’s an easy eight minute walk from Pier Sixty-Six or the Hilton (though the other piers are too far and difficult to access on foot). Others are right when they say that from the hotels in SE 17th Street its close to Publix; there’s also a nice little Starbucks almost opposite Embassy Suites and a Walgreens just on the corner of the street leading to the cruise terminals - all very easy and convenient.

Wherever you choose to stay i’m sure you will have an amazing time - have fun.
Please do not attempt to walk from Pier 66 to the cruise terminal. Not unless you want to kill your partner half way up the A1A Bridge. (Frflatt is my partner and would get short shrift if he even suggested walking from Pier 66.)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My Instagram Feed https://www.instagram.com/geoffa30/
#16
Newmarket, Suffolk
28 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
Thank you all so very much. I am really impressed will all the lovely helpful comments that you have given.

We will get on with sorting it out within the next couple of days.

We are going to hire a car at some point, but probably not immediately we land as we will be so tired after a long flight and been up for overy 24 hours. I have driven stateside quite a few times, but it's been 9 years since my last trip, so driving on the right is a bit challenging for the first day or so.

So any suggestions for either a taxi or transfer from Miami Int' to Fort Lauderdale would also be useful.

Many thanks again everyone, I hope you all enjoy your next cruises as much as we hope to enjoy ours.

Happy Holidays to you all.

PinkJellyBaby (Angie)
#17
Newmarket, Suffolk
28 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
Originally posted by easyboy
There are a number of hotels along SE 17th St. like Embassy Suites. Near the cruise port and other conveniences.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
I will look into this Many thanks

A
#18
Newmarket, Suffolk
28 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
Originally posted by suzyed
We're staying at the Embassy Suites on SE 17th Street in Fort Lauderdale. They have a nice evening reception with drinks and snacks and an included breakfast.
It's close to the port in Ft. Lauderdale and you can get a cab or uber or rent a car.
How did you plan to get from Miami Airport to Ft. Lauderdale?

Hi Susan and Chuck,

Many thanks for your reply.


We are going to hire a car at some point, but probably not immediately we land as we will be so tired after a long flight and been up for overy 24 hours. I have driven stateside quite a few times, but it's been 9 years since my last trip, so driving on the right is a bit challenging for the first day or so.

So any suggestions for either a taxi or transfer from Miami Int' to Fort Lauderdale would also be useful.

Many thanks again, I hope you all enjoy your next cruises as much as we hope to enjoy ours.

Happy thanksgiving and Happy Holidays.

PinkJellyBaby (Angie)
#19
Laval
56 Posts
Joined Dec 2013
On Princess last cruise, we stayed at the Hilton marina for one night, pre-cruise. This time, we asked for a beach hotel... princess booked us at the B Ocean resort. The critic are worrying us a little bit... the hotel was just renovated and it is right on the beach... so we will see... it is just for one night...
#20
Williamsburg, VA
427 Posts
Joined May 2011
You might want to try airbnb for a place in the Miami - Fort Lauderdale corridor. I agree with the poster(s) that you need not stay a week near Port Everglades. The transit to Fort Lauderdale on cruise day is not complicated if you are in the general area.