Room key for lights

Hadiez

and if it had money left on it, would your room steward steal yours? How would anyone know if there was money on it?

We had friends that didn’t use an old gift card and just used a rewards card from a local restaurant and the room steward did take it because they left the lights on while they weren’t in the room

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

no, do you think they have an electric bill? Leaving the lights on cost the ship nothing. Our room steward never touched ours and if he did I would ask him not to touch it.

My room steward did remove the folded up paper I had in there on Vista and replaced it with a towel sign that was cut up. The system was designed to reduce wasted energy and I can see RSs removing cards unless asked not to. However, I would hope they wouldn’t keep them. I agree that using an old, expired one is best.

Not sure how it progressed to this, but once again, the Conquest Class ships do not have this feature. Vista does and maybe Dream Class. Not sure about the latter.

No worries, OP. No card required for lights on the Conquest!

But bring one for the safe.

no, do you think they have an electric bill? Leaving the lights on cost the ship nothing. Our room steward never touched ours and if he did I would ask him not to touch it.

Actually they do it they pay for it by using more fuel and it is the largest expense on a cruise ship. I remember that during the behind the fun tour that fuel cost accounts over 50% of the cruise ticket price. However, in your defense the electricity usage of a single cabin it nothing compared to what is needed for the propulsion system.

While on the Magic my wife pulled her card out and left me in darkness while I was "on the pot". After that, I used a business card and they never touched it. I was surprised they went with something that could be so easily circumvented. Many hotels use motion senors the turn off electricity and AC when nobody is in the room. I think that would have a better way to go.

Makes me think of my first cruise that had this, the cruise informed us of this but I guess we were so excited about just getting on the boat. Well I pulled the card out and complete darkness. Lol and I still couldn't figure out what I was doing... took the second time of complete darkness.

On the Breeze an old S&S card will work but even easier is the "business card" your room steward gives you or a piece of paper folded up. Our kids figured out a plain old piece of paper from the notepad in the room trick and on our last cruise the steward left his paper card in there and all worked just fine.

Reenie75 I was so happy to read your post because I did that same thing. I was loving the ship and was so excited that I did not realize what was causing the darkness. Thought I was the only silly one. Glad to have company.

Ahhh lol the excitement of wanting to sail and take everything in. Its a good laugh now but searching for anything in a room in complete darkness thats hard :')

I had to laugh when they came out with that for the lights. When we leave our cabin, we always turn the lights off. At night when we would come back to our cabin and the RS had already turned down the bed, the small lamp by the bed was always turned on. This has happened on every one of our cruises. (Haven't been on the Vista class yet though.)

Some people can't take a joke on a question that's common sense....

:confused::confused:

There are two answers to the original question:

No is the correct answer.

Yes is the incorrect answer.

Not a question involving common sense. What’s the joke?

I think maybe you misunderstood the question? Have you ever encountered the situation of needing to keep a card in the slot to keep the power on?

On a side note, we had this once in a hotel. Left the room and dutifully removed the card never thinking about the fact that our electronics would not charge while we were gone. Joke on us? :D

There are two answers to the original question:

No is the correct answer.

Yes is the incorrect answer.

Not a question involving common sense. What’s the joke?

I think maybe you misunderstood the question? Have you ever encountered the situation of needing to keep a card in the slot to keep the power on?

On a side note, we had this once in a hotel. Left the room and dutifully removed the card never thinking about the fact that our electronics would not charge while we were gone. Joke on us? :D

Can anyone tell me on the Conquest do you have to keep a room key in the socket to use the lights?

Someone said YES...... everyone being saying "NO" The person that said YES was joking......

If you use another card it would keep the lights on so you don't have to keep YOUR CARD in.... which is common sense

My room steward did remove the folded up paper I had in there on Vista and replaced it with a towel sign that was cut up. The system was designed to reduce wasted energy and I can see RSs removing cards unless asked not to. However, I would hope they wouldn’t keep them. I agree that using an old, expired one is best.

Not sure how it progressed to this, but once again, the Conquest Class ships do not have this feature. Vista does and maybe Dream Class. Not sure about the latter.

No worries, OP. No card required for lights on the Conquest!

But bring one for the safe.

Thank you! that's what I needed to know.