Young Brits thinking about a long cruise out of Singapore...a good idea?Questions

Velvetwater

Hi

We have been looking and looking for a Asia/Aus cruise since we missed booking the Carnival Spirit 3 years ago that did Sydney to Singapore.

The cruise is on the Pacific Aria August the 15th 2018 to August the 29th going to Benoa,Komodo Island, Timor, Airlie Beach and cairns with a majority of sea days.

Anyway, by chance this cruise popped up on a shopping site and is at a good price. We are happy with lots of sea days and happy with a smaller ship.

The main worry for us is that in the UK P&O has a rep being full of older cruisers and being a bit stuffy/formal. We like cruises with a lot of things to do/a good atmosphere as we are both early 30s with no kids. We can't sail at another time due to work. We do like to party but we also enjoy the elegance and ambiance of a cruise and have been on longish cruises with US lines in the past in different parts of the world.

So...

1) What is the entertainment like? (We like trivia/pool fun/wine tastings/food demos etc)

2) Do a lot of people turn in early? We like energy into the night (not necessarily nightclubs but full bars etc)

3) Will there be our age on board or lots of families? (we prefer cruises with these groups on board)

4)Any formal nights? (We actually quite like those)

5) How is the customer service? (UK P&O doesn't have the best reputation)

6) Is the ship OK? (I have heard she is falling apart due to age)

We did the Carnival Spirit Singapore to Sydney in 2015 and it was fantastic. We flew to Singapore 3 days before and never stopped, we left our hotel at 7 am, back for a swim in the afternoon, got changed and out til about 10 each night. It was nice to get on the ship to have a rest.

We have been on the Aria twice and it is our favourite ship. The Entertainment staff are very good, lots of trivia and games, we spent most of our time in the Ocean Bar and also the Dome. I would not call

P & O Australia stuffy, and they do limit the number of kids.

The highlight of the cruise was the scenery, particularly when the ship goes around the tip of Queensland and down around the islands. They had a pilot on board and on sea days he gave some really great talks.

We went at the end of August and it was not to hot to which was a bonus, with very calm seas.

There will be some theme nights, Formal, Gatsby, White (Bianco) and many dress up and get in the spirit of things.

We have been on about 15 P & O cruises and have no complaints about the customer service. We are a couple in our 50's and travel with our daughter Chelsea who has CP and uses a wheelchair and every one goes out of there way to help us out.

If the ship is coming from Singapore it will be coming out of dry dock, so there might be some teething problems.

I really want to go to Komodo and Timor so might check out some prices myself. Get back to me if you need some more help. Kath

Sent from my iPad using Forums