Summit out of San Juan

SoCruisey

Hi, we love Celebrity but have never sailed out of San Juan.

What are the fellow passengers like on the San Juan based cruises? It will be mid January, so I wouldn't expect many kids as school will already be back in session. Does it trend older? Younger? American? European? Dressier? More casual?

Just curious. Any info appreciated.

Hi, we're just off the Summit and have previously sailed from San Juan, as well. This time of year, you're likely to have fewer kids on board, as school is in session (holiday weeks excepted). Longer itineraries will also attract a somewhat older clientele, many of whom are retired or can take longer vacations.

We didn't notice an appreciable difference between dressier or more casual; generally, everyone was appropriate for the current standards of dress on Celebrity.

Leaving from San Juan, you will usually find a greater percentage of locals than from other departure points, as you'd expect. Each time (this cruise included), most announcements are made in both English and Spanish. Karaoke nights usually wind up being bilingual, as well, and there are several Latin-themed activities on board.

I assume by now you have your plans if you are going into San Juan early. Check your hotel reservation if you have one. We have had three cancelled on us because they are being used by relief works. We gave up and are flying into FLL and then SJU the next morning on the first flight.

We gave up and are flying into FLL and then SJU the next morning on the first flight.

We did the same thing, flying into MIA and spending 3 nights there pre-cruise. Love San Juan and have done many nights there over the years, but decided it wasn't worth it this time with the uncertainty of the hotel situation.

OP: we've cruised from SJU 6-7 times. None seemed to have more kids than cruises from other ports in January.

We're flying from Ft. Lauderdale the morning of the cruise. Too risky to try to find a hotel in San Juan. We picked the first flight of the morning. There are two more after that if something goes wrong. The ship doesn't sail until 8:30 that night. Normally I wouldn't fly to meet the ship the same day of sailing, but with the situation in San Juan, it seems necessary.

We're flying from Ft. Lauderdale the morning of the cruise. Too risky to try to find a hotel in San Juan.Normally I wouldn't fly to meet the ship the same day of sailing, but with the situation in San Juan, it seems necessary.

Linda,

Sounds like a very smart thing to do to me. :)

Hi, we love Celebrity but have never sailed out of San Juan.

What are the fellow passengers like on the San Juan based cruises? It will be mid January, so I wouldn't expect many kids as school will already be back in session. Does it trend older? Younger? American? European? Dressier? More casual?

Just curious. Any info appreciated.

Onboard now. The majority of passengers are yanks with a reasonable amount of Canadians, a few limeys and a tiny number of other European nationalities along with a larger number of Puerto Ricans who do a great job of livening the place up. There are a few younger people and children onboard, the majority of which are Puerto Rican.

The average age of those onboard will be around 60 at a guess. It is fairly dressy. On the previous cruise on a couple of nights I did wonder if it was Chic night in all honesty. Quite a few people were well dressed on non chic nights!

Just off as well.

The only thing I have to add is that the Marriott hotels particularly the Marriott Stellaris and the AC are fully operational and accepting guests. Both are located in the Condado area. Other hotels are opening and electricity is more stable now. Cabs are abundant. The Old San Juan area and its major hotels are fully functioning.

Green leaves are returning. The streets we tourists will see are clear of refuse. Some buildings have visible damage with boarded windows and flaking exteriors but nothing like the evident damage in Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas.

FYI, if you are going soon and want a beach in St. Thomas, Maghen's Bay was inundated with jelly fish Monday, Dec 11th . There were none reported at Sapphire Beach and Coki remains closed.

We have taken 6 Summit cruises from San Juan (winter and fall) and always remarked to ourselves how few locals were on board. Lots of people from mid-atlantic states, Canada, Europe, and midwest. Never had announcements in Spanish but did have them in German for several of the cruises. Average age was generally around 60. Only a handful of kids on board during the school calendar.

Just off as well.

The only thing I have to add is that the Marriott hotels particularly the Marriott Stellaris and the AC are fully operational and accepting guests. Both are located in the Condado area. Other hotels are opening and electricity is more stable now. Cabs are abundant. The Old San Juan area and its major hotels are fully functioning.

Green leaves are returning. The streets we tourists will see are clear of refuse. Some buildings have visible damage with boarded windows and flaking exteriors but nothing like the evident damage in Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas.

FYI, if you are going soon and want a beach in St. Thomas, Maghen's Bay was inundated with jelly fish Monday, Dec 11th . There were none reported at Sapphire Beach and Coki remains closed.

Interesting that you report the Marriott Stellaris is fully operational. We stayed there several nights last spring prior to our Summit cruise. One would think they would have reached out to past guests if they were open for business. So they just lost a couple of bookings. Oh well.