Explorer Conceirge Suite Rattling and Creaking?

gaspari

Just returned from a very enjoyable first cruise on Explorer from Rome to Lisbon.

We had mostly very good sea conditions, but two nights with some swell/movement overnight, although one would not describe the conditions as rough. Our (very comfortable) Stateroom 776 rattled and creaked throughout the night making it noisy to sleep. It was not localised to one thing, or one area, more the whole structure where the walk in wardrobe and bathroom were located. We couldn’t decide whether it was wall and ceiling panels that were too tight, the heavy marble structure of the bathroom, or wall panels too loose! We also had some howling wind noise.

Not experienced this amount of noise in much rougher conditions on many other ships. Were we just unlucky with our stateroom choice, or is there a general issue?

We were surprised, as the ship is so new, but would be wary of booking again for a cruise where sea conditions could be rougher?

Such a pity, as so much to like about the ship, but a good nights sleep is fairly important!

Interesting. We were on the Explorer recently Barcelona to Rome. We had a couple of nights of rough seas. Our steward had to secure the balcony furniture and we had no balcony access.

We had no issues with this kind of noise. We were in 872. I suspect people have different levels of tolerance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We too experienced the noisiest cabin that we have ever had on our Explorer cruise this past August. We were in Concierge 663 (I think it was). The noises never stopped...even when the seas were not choppy at all. One thing that did help for us was when the air conditioning was 'fixed' for us after three days of not being able to get the room temps below 73 degrees. We told our steward about it and he had engineering come in. Suddenly the air conditioning worked and we were able to get cool air for sleeping at night. That seemed to reduce the creaks and cracks in the room at night...altho we still needed ear plugs at night to sleep. As said by a prior post the noises seemed to come from all over the suite...from the ceiling...from the walls. We surmised that it came from the various places where the wood moldings hits the walls but couldn't be sure.

I'm sorry for those having the noise, but glad that you posted. It would make me crazy. I'm a bit of an insomniac anyway, and hyper-sensitive (e.g. ear-plugs don't work-- I'm too aware of them). I hope that things get better on that ship. I've never been bothered by noise on Voyager or Mariner, except very occasionally in very rough seas.

Do you remember whether the black-out curtains really work? I.e. any light come in at all? I'm asking because we may be traveling on Explorer during Midnight Sun. We both like a really dark room (and of course I can't do the eye-mask thing).

Happy travels to all.

We found that the curtains did effectively block all light. To start with, we thought there was an intermitant flashing light coming in from outside the window Took us a few days to realise it was the flashing light on the top of the Nespresso machine, which we then unplugged! Silly us!

gaspari, Nespresso machine? Unless they changed, Regent ships have Illy machines (although I hear that Nespresso machines are better).

In terms of noise, in our 450 (approximately) nights on cruise ships, there has yet to be one that does not have creaks, groans and other noises. This is the beauty of being at sea!

We were on the Explorer as well. We had a lot of noise, and every afternoon as well. I have since talked to an employee of Regent and they have not been able to figure this out and correct it. It is a fact.

When I was onboard last spring I talked to Chief Engineer about the cabin design. His response - "the cabins are a disaster."

Yes, all ships creak; they need to. If you had "fixed"and not flexible "connections" they would break over time due to the movement from the seas. The Explorer is just worst than all the other ships is that they have extensive trim that provides more joints to creak. We are on Voyager now and yes there is occasional creaking usually solved by closing drawers well or adjusting bend of our flexible lights; however, wall surfaces are flat without trim. I think Explorer is just going to get worse over time.

Marc

We had a very creaky suite on Mariner several years ago. It sounded like it was coming from the ceiling panels, and one night when I couldn't sleep due to the sound, I reached up to try to pushthe panels ... and noticed that whoever was there before me had inserted toothpicks into the spaces where the panels met, in an obvious effort to stop the creaking sounds.

Appreciate the feedback so far, even that suggesting we must have a low tolerance of noise, or that we should get some earplugs or a white noise machine!!

As regular cruisers we are quite aware that all ships will make some noise in swells or storms. We are not naive, just concerned that our stateroom on this ship seemed worse when the conditions weren’t bad.

Appreciate the feedback so far, even that suggesting we must have a low tolerance of noise, or that we should get some earplugs or a white noise machine!!

As regular cruisers we are quite aware that all ships will make some noise in swells or storms. We are not naive, just concerned that our stateroom on this ship seemed worse when the conditions weren’t bad.

Perhaps it was just an unlucky cabin positioning? We are on deck 6 forward, and get no more than the usual creaks and groans. We’ve had a few rough nights, and no more than the usual even then. Might want to add a note to the “cabin guru” thread about that particular cabin, so people can be forewarned.

You write the review, I'll update the spreadsheets. Easy peasy. :D

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2478753

The more reviews we get, the better it will help future cruisers.

We were in 872 on the Explorer.

Lovely suite. So much storage. No issues with noise.

We enjoyed it very much and would be happy to sail in this suite again and again and again.

We have been in four different suites - on different decks and positions. The only annoying noise was from the Observation Lounge - we were directly above it. In terms of creaks, groans, etc., this is what we expect (and enjoy) on a ship but that is just us.

We were also in a concierge suite on the Explorer and we nicknamed the room "the haunted cabin", there were so many noises, much more so than any other cabin we have ever sailed in. It was not just at night, but at all hours. My Mom was fortunate in that once she removed her hearing aids, the room became silent, except for the high pitched noise coming from the balcony door which no matter how many times the engineering department tried to correct the situation, they were unable to do so.

I remember one afternoon in particular - it was a very calm sea day and we were both reading and out of nowhere, it sounded as if the ceiling was about to fall. We were worried enough that we left the room.

gnomie